2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealership crashed my new car!

05-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #23
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscorney View Post
Nightmare! Pictures to come next time I am at the dealer. Was so disappointed I left the car there. Dealership certainly fell short of their promise..
Clearly this is now fairly unpleasant experience during the phase of car ownership that should be "special" and in my opinion you need to stop dealing with this dealership ASAP ... this is now turning into "fool me once...." situation .

If it's me, I'd make sure all of this is documented, take the car to a another dealership or reputable body shop and pay out of pocket to get it fixed properly. I would then try to deal with BMW directly trying to get them to pay for it. It is after all their dealership has accepted the responsibility for the damages and proven (twice already - you said you had an issue with their body work in the past) that they are not capable, or care for fixing it properly. I would be surprised if BMW doesn't settle with you and sure it would suck, but I'll go out on a limb and say that most owners of 5 series can take "unexpected" minor expense in order to get it done "just right". At least in that case, you'll have an issue taken care of, car in a brand new state and you'll stop stressing about it and wasting your time with people who have now failed you 3 times.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #24
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Pretty shady dealership...it's about time you revealed the name of this place (if you've not already done so).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #25
rvancil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14' 328d M Sport

Yes, please give us the name of the dealership
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #26
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscorney

3. They did not agree to replace the bumper, even though there was gouging in the plastic material. I had requested two scenarios to resolve:
a) replace the bumper with a new m-sport bumper that is on the lot (and on a new car). Bolt on/off exchange and let me be on my way. This was my first choice, and certainly reasonable.
b) Do the work, and warranty said work for the term of ownership. It can and has been proven that resprays do not hold up as well in the long term. Near term - fine, but for longevity it cant compare to factory. Also requested that a SunTek clear PPF be put on over the bumper (after I had approved the paint).
No way the dealer would pull off the bumper from another car and put it on yours. All exterior body parts have the original car's VIN printed on it, indicating that it's the original body part of the car.

Since the dealer repainted and it did not live to your expectations, tell them you'll find a reputable independent paint/bodyshop nearby and send them the bill.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:00 AM   #27
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0t View Post
No way the dealer would pull off the bumper from another car and put it on yours. All exterior body parts have the original car's VIN printed on it, indicating that it's the original body part of the car.

Since the dealer repainted and it did not live to your expectations, tell them you'll find a reputable independent paint/bodyshop nearby and send them the bill.
Yes and Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #28
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

In CT most dealers do walk arounds (Bridgeport BMW takes photos of all 4 sides of your car) before taking a car into service.

In the end, while, extremely frustrating get the bumper fixed and don't let it ruin the fun of having a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #29
chriscorney
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2000 323i

Great advice everyone. I will be calling them in the morning to try and get the car back to take to a reputable shop.

My assumption is that they will fight me on what shop to use (as they have an I house body shop - it's no good unfortunately.

This is BMW North Scottsdale in Arizona. Never had issues over the past 10 years; just too bad this is happening with my first "new" car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #30
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Wow! I'm shocked they actually thought sub par work would fly?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #31
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Its a bumper. Ask them to repair/replace it and paint it. What's the big deal? If they smashed the bumper on your wife (girlfriend) that would be a serious matter. Its a car. In 36 months it will be worth 1/2 its new car value. Do you really think a bumper repair will make a difference then?
      05-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #32
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Its a bumper. Ask them to repair/replace it and paint it. What's the big deal? If they smashed the bumper on your wife (girlfriend) that would be a serious matter. Its a car. In 36 months it will be worth 1/2 its new car value. Do you really think a bumper repair will make a difference then?
I don't get this. Sure, cars aren't as important as people, but respecting other people's property is important too. He was wronged and they should make it right so he can enjoy his carefully selected car to its fullest potential.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #33
chriscorney
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2000 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
I don't get this. Sure, cars aren't as important as people, but respecting other people's property is important too. He was wronged and they should make it right so he can enjoy his carefully selected car to its fullest potential.
Agreed and thanks for understanding. If the re-sprayed bumper looked like the original I would have no issue.

The issue at hand is that the work is subpar, and that it dosent meet the promises made by the dealer. I get it - accidents happen. What I don't get is how a crappy re-spray is justified or tolerable in this case.

As others suggested, I plan on picking up the car tomorrow and bringing it to another body shop that can do the job properly. Will have to pay out of pocket and hope I can get reimbursed. The SA called today, and asked for one more shot at getting the paint right. Even he said the first try (the try that I drove 45 minutes out of the way to see) wasn't a good spray.
Appreciate 0