2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum smell of diesel builds up in the cabin

11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFY View Post
Their job sheet says checked lots of things (all ok), no leaking oil etc. But they replaced the 'Microfilters'. I test drove the car after and it is 50 times better now, hardly any smell at all. It is only very very very slight now, which I take to be resisdue 'stink' in the ventilation pipes/ ventilation tubeing. Obviously if the 'micofilters' get 'stinky again in the comming weeks, I'll return the car again. But my fingers are crossed that all is ok now. Will let you know. Hopes this helps you other guys with the same problem.
Just a thought, as new microfilters made a difference.

I do wonder if there is a problem/issue with the auto recirculation, (you do have auto recirculation on the 520d?) as that can be slow to react, or completely shut off in some climate control modes on previos models.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #24
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I'd be interested to hear the outcome, please keep me informed - thanks.
Microfilters was the filter changed in my car, I called the dealer today, and looking at last post from HUFFY looks like the same solution was applied.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Obviously if the 'micofilters' get 'stinky again in the comming weeks, I'll return the car again. But my fingers are crossed that all is ok now. Will let you know. Hopes this helps you other guys with the same problem.
My Micorfilters fix was completed over a month and half, so far so good not a hint of the old very strong smell.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #26
HUFFY
Rep
Drives: F11 520DM SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
My Micorfilters fix was completed over a month and half, so far so good not a hint of the old very strong smell.
Just a note on recirculated air. I leave it off unless driving in a tunel. However, pre microfilter change I switched it on to lessen the problem untill the dealer could book the car in. This lessened the smell but it idn't compleatly go away. I gave the car another 25 mile run today and only got a very slight old smell once, which I still hope is residue stink in the ducting. The dealer said the 'microfilter's stunk. Perhaps oil/glue in them? who knows?. however just why this would only stink with a hot engine beets me. Surely its the same input of air for a hot/cold engine?. However if its fixed I'm happy. 520dm, auto, travler is a very nice drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #27
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Just a note on recirculated air. I leave it off unless driving in a tunel. However, pre microfilter change I switched it on to lessen the problem untill the dealer could book the car in. This lessened the smell but it idn't compleatly go away. I gave the car another 25 mile run today and only got a very slight old smell once, which I still hope is residue stink in the ducting. The dealer said the 'microfilter's stunk. Perhaps oil/glue in them? who knows?. however just why this would only stink with a hot engine beets me. Surely its the same input of air for a hot/cold engine?. However if its fixed I'm happy. 520dm, auto, travler is a very nice drive.
Hi Huffy, I called the dealer to find out what filter was the solution behind my car prob, the conversation switched to auto heated exterior mirrors, hence did not get more details on the filter side, I will give him another call and find out if the Microfilters was the complete solution, I am not sure what other filters do exist under a BMW bonnet, I know off oil filters, fuel filters and cabin/Microfilters, definitely not the oil filters in my case.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #28
Terry Cope
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520SE

hi all, sorry I didn't report back until now, my dealership couldn't find the problem on the first visit so I was asked to monitor it, this didn't improve so I went back and took a Technition with me for a 30 mile blast down the motorway "guess what" it didn't do it, they kept the car for the day and went through it but couldn't find anything (Definately no diesel leaks) they said they had contacted BMW Germany for advice, I was asked to take it back in on 19th December where they changed the microfilter part number B64. 11.9.272.642 since having this done there is no smell, I covered 900 miles that week with no smell and it is still ok so i guess this is the problem solver

Regards
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
yreiser
Rep
Drives: E92 325d

It's somehow very odd if the microfilters are the reason, since the problem seems only to occur on 520d's, although all other models have the same filters !?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #30
Marc1111
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d M sport

Hi
I have a new BMW 335 and have had a burning smell ,I have been told that is probably a diesel partical filter which burns off particals every now and then quite normal ,But if it keeps happing I will have to take it in at some point .
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #31
maybeaudi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520D

I joined this site today to find out if this was a problem as I have a 520D MSport from BMW UK on test loan - I love the car but hate the smell (all the symptoms as described - braking/reversing etc) - went into local dealership and they looked surprised and gave me that "it must be you" look - I drove round the corner to the Audi dealership - test driving an A6 and an A5 soon (the dark side I know but I hate not being taken seriously). I will speak to BMW UK in the week and see what they say if it is helpful I will post it....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #32
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeaudi View Post
I joined this site today to find out if this was a problem as I have a 520D MSport from BMW UK on test loan - I love the car but hate the smell (all the symptoms as described - braking/reversing etc) - went into local dealership and they looked surprised and gave me that "it must be you" look - I drove round the corner to the Audi dealership - test driving an A6 and an A5 soon (the dark side I know but I hate not being taken seriously). I will speak to BMW UK in the week and see what they say if it is helpful I will post it....
Good luck with your choice my one is still on a 5 series, now the issue is resolved and quick solution too, to be honest you can end-up with a similar experience even at Audi, maybe go for another BMW dealer worth spending your cash with. do not make your car choice on the basis of one ignorant dealer, especially when you tend to find them all over, in my opinion. do what I did when getting my old E60, i made sure the arrogant sales agent was left to the side when ordering my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

If you can smell it from outside as well as inside, it may be the EGR cooler. Reference the X5 diesel thread below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=517621
      04-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
Adam_in_the_UK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520D 8 sp auto saloon

Mine too

I have this problem with new 520d 8 sp auto saloon (12 plate with start stop technology). Have done less than 1500 miles so far - car delivered end March. Only happens sometimes, usually when coming to a stop and the auto cut off works, although sometimes when reversing. Found this thread today so somewhat re-assured it isn't just me! Just to be clear what I get is a raw diesel smell (as per filling pump smell) for a few seconds in the cabin - not combusted diesel or from other cars - happens when I'm the only one at lights, etc. I'm taking mine to dealer tomorrow for a "sniff test", will let them know about the thread and see if BMW have recognised the problem. As per the other posts it does seem to be diminishing as the car gets older - I get it less frequently than I did. When it happens it is quite obvious, other occupants have noticed it. But on a £35k new car..... not good. I guess the point of my post is that they don't seem to have fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
Diggers30
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520 d m sport

Re Adam

Adam, I have the same issue as you described. What came of your visit to the dealers?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #36
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggers30 View Post
Adam, I have the same issue as you described. What came of your visit to the dealers?

Cheers
Referencing my post above, the EGR cooler replacement fixed our problem.
      06-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #37
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_in_the_UK View Post
I have this problem with new 520d 8 sp auto saloon (12 plate with start stop technology). Have done less than 1500 miles so far - car delivered end March. Only happens sometimes, usually when coming to a stop and the auto cut off works, although sometimes when reversing. Found this thread today so somewhat re-assured it isn't just me! Just to be clear what I get is a raw diesel smell (as per filling pump smell) for a few seconds in the cabin - not combusted diesel or from other cars - happens when I'm the only one at lights, etc. I'm taking mine to dealer tomorrow for a "sniff test", will let them know about the thread and see if BMW have recognised the problem. As per the other posts it does seem to be diminishing as the car gets older - I get it less frequently than I did. When it happens it is quite obvious, other occupants have noticed it. But on a £35k new car..... not good. I guess the point of my post is that they don't seem to have fixed it.
Hi Adam,

Get your dealer to check with my one how to resolve the issue, Microfilters was the filter changed in my car.

Colm Quinn Ireland
Glasson Road (N55),Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
Tel: 090 6465888
Fax: 090 6465890
http://www.colmquinnbmw.ie

Very happy with the service, and resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #38
techno
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring

I had this for a couple of thousand miles, only happened occasionally but I decided to wait rather than have the hassle of it not being there when I went into the dealer.

Happy to say it just suddenly disappeared never to return!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
BigP535I
Second Lieutenant
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: F10 AW Mtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post
I had this for a couple of thousand miles, only happened occasionally but I decided to wait rather than have the hassle of it not being there when I went into the dealer.

Happy to say it just suddenly disappeared never to return!
oddly enough my car has this smell to today...not a diesel but I'm getting the fuel smell and out of no where to boot. Should I just wait it out to see if it will dissapate?
Appreciate 0