2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Need advice - CPO 2013 F10 528i

06-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Hydrogen
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Prem/Sport

Need advice - CPO 2013 F10 528i

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and I want to thank you in advance for your time and constructive and knowledgeable responses.

Attached is the CPO inspection and vehicle service history report for a vehicle I am considering purchasing. All personal and dealer identifiable information have been removed.

I have looked thoroughly at four different BMW dealers in the metro area and this is the best CPO I have been able to find so far.

It's a 2013 F10 528i in Carbon Black with Oyster interior with 39k miles. Premium, M Sport, Navigation. Nothing more really in terms of options or features.

Here are my concerns for an otherwise great condition vehicle:

1. There was an earthy odor coming from the A/C. I got the dealer to replace the micro filters and they said they were in bad shape and left the old ones in the trunk for me to inspect tomorrow when I return to see if the odor is gone.

2. There was some wear down of the leather on the driver's interior door pull, but the leather is intact. It may or may not wear down further over the 3 years I intend to keep the vehicle for. This isn't that big a concern.

3. My primary concern is a vibration from the brakes while applying them to come to a stop. It's minor, but it is there. I have tried to get the dealer to address the vibration, but they say they are unable to do so until the next owner takes title of the vehicle because this would be on their dime and they could not bill BMW NA for it.

The Condition Based Service (CBS) indicator states that there are 3,000 miles left for both the front and same for the rear, but the CPO inspection report states there are 9mm of pads remaining on the rear and 11mm remaining on the front. As I understand it from researching these forums, a new pad would have around 14mm of material. This would lead me to believe either most of the miles on this vehicle (39k) are highway or the driver drove lightly. That or the amount of material remaining per the CPO inspection is
'misleading.'

They are flatly reluctant to do anything more to the car stating that I am at rock bottom in terms of price - $30,495 is where we are at.

My question is: How, if at all would this be addressed by BMW NA with respect to the maintenance program or the factory warranty - both of which have 13 months remaining? My service adviser (at another BMW store) suggests that I not take delivery of this vehicle unless the selling dealer takes care of the braking vibration because it may not be covered under the maintenance program because even though the condition based service states 3k miles, there is still far more than that in terms of brake pad remaining and the vehicle has only 10.5k of maintenance and factory warranty remaining (before CPO takes over).

Please advise on how you would proceed and thank you for your input.

-Darius
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CPOInspection.pdf (1.15 MB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf SvcHistory.pdf (479.9 KB, 150 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Hydrogen
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Prem/Sport

PS - the CPO inspection states there was only 1 master key (with no comments of ordering a new one) but my client adviser claims that "all CPOs come with two keys." So that remains to be seen...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
[QUOTE=Hydrogen;20140264]Hello Everyone,

Here are my concerns for an otherwise great condition vehicle:

1. There was an earthy odor coming from the A/C. I got the dealer to replace the micro filters and they said they were in bad shape and left the old ones in the trunk for me to inspect tomorrow when I return to see if the odor is gone.

The earthy smell could have come from the filter especially if the filter got wet somehow. It could have been caused by the previous owner washing the vehicle and leaving it in the garage during cold temps letting the filter get moist and potentially grow a bad smell. That's why it is important to drive the car a bit after a car wash or leave it in the fun afterwards to let everything dry out. Hopefully, when you try the air conditioner it won't smell anymore but definitely try the highest heat and cold.

2. There was some wear down of the leather on the driver's interior door pull, but the leather is intact. It may or may not wear down further over the 3 years I intend to keep the vehicle for. This isn't that big a concern.

If the leather is Nappa then yes the leather is a PITA to take care of. I got wrinkles in mine very quickly. I read that you just have to clean and moisturize the leather every now and then to make sure it doesn't get further damaged.

3. My primary concern is a vibration from the brakes while applying them to come to a stop. It's minor, but it is there. I have tried to get the dealer to address the vibration, but they say they are unable to do so until the next owner takes title of the vehicle because this would be on their dime and they could not bill BMW NA for it.

I read on the forums that vibration in the steering wheel may be caused from Warped Brake rotors or bad pads. Have them inspect the brakes again and make them take care of it. That is a lie if they will not have their service department take a look at the brakes. If it is covered under warranty there should be no issue for the dealer to get it checked and have it fixed. Speak to a manager and get it escalated to have it looked at.

So, have them thoroughly check it out again because you do not want to buy the car and bring it back again to service and get a loaner for who knows how many days.

In any event, good luck Darius and let us know what you decide. Welcome to the F10 forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
My service adviser (at another BMW store) suggests that I not take delivery of this vehicle unless the selling dealer takes care of the braking vibration because it may not be covered under the maintenance program because even though the condition based service states 3k miles, there is still far more than that in terms of brake pad remaining and the vehicle has only 10.5k of maintenance and factory warranty remaining (before CPO takes over).

Please advise on how you would proceed and thank you for your input
I would agree with your service advisor, sounds like rotors are warped.
Even though they state this is "rock bottom price" replacing rotors costs dealership a lot less than it will cost you a year or so down the road.

I guess it depends how bad do you want this car. If that's the only issue that you'll pay out of pocket, not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to have no vibration at all, that'll make "new car" purchase that much more special.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The brake vibration can be a number of things - including warped rotors (worst case in terms of cost). But it can just as easily be a pad-only issue, which would be much cheaper. I'd have the dealer take care of it, even if it means negotiating at half price of the job.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Are you kidding? Please remind the dealer that they are committing warranty fraud by not fixing the brakes until after a new owner takes the car.

This crap ends up increasing the prices of all our contracts.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

My wife and I bought a 2013 Black/Black 535 XI with slightly more miles than that for $33,000 a month ago.

The car the exact same issue with the brakes.

Quote:

I test drove the car, and then came here and searched the forum. The vibration is common. All they need to do is cut the rotors. I told the dealer that I would not sign the papers if they did not get the brakes right. DO NOT BUY THE CAR FROM THEM, if they are not willing to make this right before you buy.

My dealer also threw in additional warranty and service time, and sold me a year of service for dealer cost. This way the car is covered by warranty and service plan, through July of 2019.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream69xr7 View Post
All they need to do is cut the rotors. I told the dealer that I would not sign the papers if they did not get the brakes right.
Most BMW dealers will not machine rotors, most dealerships (any brand in fact) won't bother with with this. But, for them, to complete the CPO sale, parts and labor cost on this should be non issue.

I do agree with you that OP should demand them to address the issue before buying the car from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Quote:
Most BMW dealers will not machine rotors, most dealerships (any brand in fact) won't bother with with this
BMW of Atlantic City. They have a full machine and body shop onsite. They cut all four rotors, and repainted the rear bumper. In fact, I offered to have the paint and brakes done by the shop I use, and they insisted on doing the work themselves, before I took possession of the car.
Appreciate 0