2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 500 miles left on extended warranty

06-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M

500 miles left on extended warranty

Should I bring my car in before warranty runs out?
No major problems just a little engine or tranny lag.
Let me know your thoughts. My car is a gold level.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

What's gold level? If nothing's wrong with it that you can tell, what are you expecting the dealer do with it when you drop it off? Only thing I can think of is to have them ensure the firmware is up-to-date, check for any hidden fault codes or inspect the car for leaks/unusual wear that could afford repair.
      06-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
If nothing's wrong with it that you can tell, what are you expecting the dealer do with it when you drop it off?
Agree, no reason to bring it in unless you suspect something's wrong, nothing for them to do. Any other check you might request you're likely to be asked to pay for their time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Agree, no reason to bring it in unless you suspect something's wrong, nothing for them to do. Any other check you might request you're likely to be asked to pay for their time.
Brought the car in to the dealer anyway and they said it was either the transfer case or misfires of spark plugs.
they had to rule out plugs at $650 first.
they also said it may because my wheels being bent that it caused the transfer case problem.
i had the customer care recall last year and they replaced the plugs as part of that. i shouldn't need new plugs.
transfer case is around $4500, but under warranty.

any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
Brought the car in to the dealer anyway and they said it was either the transfer case or misfires of spark plugs.
they had to rule out plugs at $650 first.
they also said it may because my wheels being bent that it caused the transfer case problem.
i had the customer care recall last year and they replaced the plugs as part of that. i shouldn't need new plugs.
transfer case is around $4500, but under warranty.

any thoughts?
So they asking you to pay $650 for them to rule out spark plugs issue then replace transfer case ? That's kinda strange, I can see there being some sort of "diagnostic fee" but that seems a bit extreme to me.

I'm not sure what to tell you honestly. Maybe someone who knows more, and works on his own car can help out with advice, but I would think symptoms of transfer case would at least be some sort of noise.

Not certain bent wheel explanation makes sense or how spark plugs misfiring would be mistaken for transfer case failure? If the same dealership replaced the spark plugs a year ago, I would think that they should assume some responsibility for that?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
So they asking you to pay $650 for them to rule out spark plugs issue then replace transfer case ? That's kinda strange, I can see there being some sort of "diagnostic fee" but that seems a bit extreme to me.

I'm not sure what to tell you honestly. Maybe someone who knows more, and works on his own car can help out with advice, but I would think symptoms of transfer case would at least be some sort of noise.

Not certain bent wheel explanation makes sense or how spark plugs misfiring would be mistaken for transfer case failure? If the same dealership replaced the spark plugs a year ago, I would think that they should assume some responsibility for that?
Agree with all of this. Wtf is the dealer talking about? Did they inspect the same car you brought in?
      07-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

If you have maintenance with your warranty them have them do things like the belts, wipers, oil change (if mileage allows), basically anything that falls under the maintenance.
$650 for to "rule out the plugs" is ridiculous, especially if they were just changed last year. Bent wheels won't cause a transfer case to fail, you would have to riding on basically square wheels for that to happen and they wouldn't be holding air at that point. I would call BS with my SA on both of those issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Grizzles
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
If you have maintenance with your warranty them have them do things like the belts, wipers, oil change (if mileage allows), basically anything that falls under the maintenance.
$650 for to "rule out the plugs" is ridiculous, especially if they were just changed last year. Bent wheels won't cause a transfer case to fail, you would have to riding on basically square wheels for that to happen and they wouldn't be holding air at that point. I would call BS with my SA on both of those issues.
i am replacing my spark plugs myself and putting on winter wheels and bring it back in.
Appreciate 0