2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rear AC not coming out heat

03-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Rear AC not coming out heat

Well yesterday when driving i had the heat turned up al lthe way to 84 degrees. My back seat passenger where like hey why is the rear ac coming out cool air. When i checked it was, i dont know why i try going thru the i drive to find a fix and i couldnt. Can you bimmer post memebers test this out for me to c if yours is the same too?
      03-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
You're not gonna need it this weekend, but try turning the dial just to the left of the hazard and door lock button from blue to red. I have no why idea they have this there, it seems redundant to me.

03-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

I don't understand why that dial is there either. It overrides the temp you set for the vents only it seems. I really should read the manual to understand this better.

As you say it seems redundant at best, poorly designed at worst. You already have to change two dials to alter the cabin temperature since left and right zones cannot be linked (that I can tell) so now we have three setting we have to alter whenever we want to adjust the temperature. Perhaps there is something I am missing. Any tips welcome.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
blackhawk_pilot2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011, BMW 535i

I think that in my car the only way I get the rear vents to put out hot air is when I have the system on auto only. Otherwise the from vents give hot air and the rear give cool. Will check settings again tomorrow but Im almost sure that on auto it gives warm air to all vents.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
You're not gonna need it this weekend, but try turning the dial just to the left of the hazard and door lock button from blue to red. I have no why idea they have this there, it seems redundant to me.

I did turn it to red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk_pilot2000 View Post
I think that in my car the only way I get the rear vents to put out hot air is when I have the system on auto only. Otherwise the from vents give hot air and the rear give cool. Will check settings again tomorrow but Im almost sure that on auto it gives warm air to all vents.
Thanks for the info im going to try that tonight. Its weird how the back shots cool air when i set all the vents in the front to heat.
      03-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil335i View Post
I did turn it to red.

Thanks for the info im going to try that tonight. Its weird how the back shots cool air when i set all the vents in the front to heat.
There is something wrong with the HVAC system then, I'd have the dealer check it out. If I have the heat set at 80, heat is coming to the back vents, regardless of whether auto is on or not.
      03-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Evil335i
twin-turbo baby!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
There is something wrong with the HVAC system then, I'd have the dealer check it out. If I have the heat set at 80, heat is coming to the back vents, regardless of whether auto is on or not.
Okay...thanks for the info ill probably do it next time when i go into the dealer. this feature doesnt really bother me since we live in LA. Its gonna get hot soon anyways. lol but it was kinda werid how cold air was coming from the back vents.
      03-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Okay...thanks for the info ill probably do it next time when i go into the dealer. this feature doesnt really bother me since we live in LA. Its gonna get hot soon anyways. lol but it was kinda werid how cold air was coming from the back vents.
Yeah I live in LA too, and it's been freezing a$$ here recently. Aside from today and this weekend, we have had an unusually cold winter. But having lived in the northeast half my life this is nothing. Don't know if you have the cold weather package, but the heated steering wheel is the dogs bollocks!
      03-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

there is something wrong with the AC system, its a really bad design.

you can link the left and right front passenger by pushing the "ALL" button, meaning whatever you do to the driver side control will be emulated by the front passenger.

the red/blue wheel knob by the vent is redundant, the knobs on the ac control should be enough to control the temp setting, what's the purpose of this red/blue wheel knob?

the rear vent has been frustrating me since i got my car. even my lowly c-class and the base 3 series loaner i had has hot air coming out of the rear vent when the front vents are set to heater. i took it to the dealer and they said it's working as designed, this response is not good enough, i know somethings not working right.

i've set the front vents at max heat (i think 84) for 30 minutes and still no hot air coming out of the rear vents. i realize there is no hot/cold air control for the rear vents, but the rear vents should have the same temp as the fronts at least. not hot air coming out of the front and constant cold air coming out of the rear.

i'm taking my car to the dealer again on tueday and will bring up this issue again, lets see. i've made a complain to BMW customer service but those telephone agents cant do snot either.

sorry for the long post but i think this is an issue that should be brought to BMW's attention by as many owners as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk_pilot2000 View Post
i've tried using the AUTO setting and still no hot/warm air to the rear. please try yours again and see if you can get hot air to come out from the rear vents when car the AC is set to AUTO, if so then there is really something wrong with my car.

btw i even tried the AUTO and ALL set at the same time, still no hot air in the rear vents.

Last edited by EV0LVE; 03-05-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #11
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i'm in socal too and we dont need the rear heat 95% of the time. it's that 5% of the time that sucks when you cant get it to work as it should. damn it even our toyota van has temp controls for the rear and it costs half my 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
wardawg26
Rep
Drives: GERMANY

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
I check with my dealer here in Germany; and was told that the rear vents only blows out cold air unless you ordered the rear climate control and then the hot air only comes out of you side vents mounted on the door frame between the rear and front doors, so the rear vents are for ac only; the only heat that blows to the rear are a set of small vents under your front seat that's blows hot air to rear. Was told that BMW design the car that way and that with the car being so air tight that this seems to work, the temperature here has being in the low teens for a while and I have not had any issues with the rear passengers not being warm enough, some time I have been told it's to warm, I keep my settings set to two clicks on the dial. He also stated that for a car that size it's takes more vents to cool the car than to heat it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #13
wardawg26
Rep
Drives: GERMANY

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Rear ac heat

I check with my dealer here in Germany; and was told that the rear vents only blows out cold air unless you ordered the rear climate control and then the hot air only comes out of you side vents mounted on the door frame between the rear and front doors, so the rear vents are for ac only; the only heat that blows to the rear are a set of small vents under your front seat that's blows hot air to rear. Was told that BMW design the car that way and that with the car being so air tight that this seems to work, the temperature here has being in the low teens for a while and I have not had any issues with the rear passengers not being warm enough, some time I have been told it's to warm, I keep my settings set to two clicks on the dial. He also stated that for a car that size it's takes more vents to cool the car than to heat it.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #14
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

i will try this tomorrow. if this works then i'll just shut the uppder rear vents and get hot air from the rear footwells.

thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
there is something wrong with the AC system, its a really bad design.

you can link the left and right front passenger by pushing the "ALL" button, meaning whatever you do to the driver side control will be emulated by the front passenger.
I don't have that button on my 2011 build. Must be part of an option here in the UK that I didn't purchase
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #16
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

Yes that was the bmw techn told me (you have always cool air inthe midle rear vents). It seems strange. If you have it in auto at 20š (with the AC in off) you get in the midle vents cool, the upper and laterla inthe dashboard heat and the rear midle cool. And for mess every thing you get the stuppid red and blue dial. Itīs very difficult to get it balanced. In my old volovo you choose the temp anit was ok. By the way still get the whistle from the front vents. Have some one get it ficks it. Did they change the unit or made soma adjustamment in the flaps.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
AWF10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mine has the same problem! Cold air out of rear vents even though front vents set to temp of 84 degrees. So weird and fustrating!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

1. Are the rear vents supposed to blow warm air? Or are there ducts under the seats for that?

2. I'm not sure why all of you feel that the red / blue wheel is redundant or stupid. For me, I think it is tremendously useful. I leave my temp settings at 68, 69 if it's really cold, and can use the red/blue dial to adjust my comfort depending on how much sun load I'm getting. I think this is the best automatic climate control I've ever used, and I've used many. And most of them, I hate, including my current Acura. In the winter, it's always roasting your feet in order to get hot air up by the dash. Your feet get too hot and you turn it down, and you're being blasted by cold air. You can turn it to feet only, but then your hands and face get no air and get cold after a while.

I really like the way this system work.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #19
Swawuk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series f11

Hi all,
I was researching this topic and came across this thread. I noticed that people were mentioning the red/blue dial by the front vent. I was told by a friend that this is so you can have your heating warming the car but if your face gets a bit warm you can have cool air blowing up top but still have heat on your feet etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #20
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardawg26 View Post
^^^^^^^ What this Guy said^^^^^^ There is nothing wrong with your heat
my 2013 does same thing its like that
      11-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #21
Kyngofpop
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardawg26 View Post
Wrong. I'm out in my car right now which has the 4-zone CC and even with the temp set at 84 and the dial turned to blue I still get warm/hot air from the center vents AND the B-pillar vents and cold air when I turn it to 60 and turn the dials to blue.

Somethings off with the OP's system if it's blowing out pure cold air. It should at LEAST be sorta lukewarm.
Attached Images

11-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #22
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

On non-4zone control, the rear center vents kind of follow the front center vent temperature, in my experience.

If the interior is near the set temperature, the stratification will start to operate and face vents will go "cool" according to the setting on the blend wheel.

If the interior is way below the set temperature, even the face vents blow warm.

In the winter here (Canada) I find I need to dial back the air volume at the rear center vents because it's too cold, even though the front center vents are comfortably cool.
Appreciate 0