2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Nav Issues - 2013 528i (NBT or CIC High)

01-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Nav Issues - 2013 528i (NBT or CIC High)

I've posted more than once complaining that the navigation system in my car rejects addresses that I send to it (using Google's "send" function, or the BMW Remote's "send to car" function, or even taking an address from my contacts), and substitutes another address for guidance. Yesterday I discovered that I cannot even enter a legitimate address using the iDrive controller.

It seems that the problem (or at least part of it) is the address format. Addresses in my area commonly use a quadrant designation -- 100 S.W. Main Street, for example, shows the southwest quadrant with the "S.W." or "SW" between the number and the street name. The navigation system doesn't seem to be able to parse this. It accepts quadrant labels following the street name and separated by a semicolon -- "Main St.;SW" seems to be its preferred format. Using the standard (postal) format, the system can't find the street and so offers a substitute for guidance. (This may not be the only problem with address "verification" in the system, but it's the one I've isolated so far.)

Needless to say, this makes the navigation system completely useless. I'm going to have a dealer have a look at it. But it seems like an odd thing for a dealer's service department to cope with. BMW and other manufacturers are going to need a different kind of support for this sort of problem. The people who change oil and tighten VANOS bolts are not the ones who should be rewriting code to cope with problems displaying album art or navigation systems that send owners off to the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Here is what is on that screen:

North America
BMW Group
Road Map NORTH AMERICA Next 2013

NBT_C12341I

My car's build date is 11/12; I installed an update for the entertainment and communication software but as far as I know it still has whatever came from the factory for the nav, even though the car didn't go into service until 9/13.
Appreciate 0