2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography The Night Photography Thread

05-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #485
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

I did 2 attepts at the mini, both very different results. The out of focus car makes the crop iffy. but the colours came out nicely (in my opinion) on the crop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #486
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
He shoots a T1i. He should be able to pull off a 400ISO without sacrificing quality too badly.
I used to run one of those, the noise was borderlined after 400, but it all comes down to what you think is acceptable or not too.
He can shoot ISO 800 with light NR with good results. ISO 1600 would be better than that shake.

Dave
      05-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #487
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Thanks, Guys. I missed the conversation last night due to exhaustion and an early bedtime.

Yeah, I should have bumped the ISO. Quite simply, I had brain fog. I had it set to 200 in the room and neglected to change it when I went out. I do the same thing every time I take the WB off auto. I always forget to set it again for the next shoot. Usually takes at least one blown picture to remind me.

I'll try more at 400. I've shot at 800, but I was not happy with the noise level. Maybe I need to brush up on my NR techniques, though.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #488
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
He can shoot ISO 800 with light NR with good results. ISO 1600 would be better than that shake.

Dave
I shot at 800 a couple of times when i had that camera and hated the results, but back then i never used NR So i'd be curious to see how they turn out.

High ISO handling is one of the big things that really drew me into my purchase of the 5DmkII along with the full frame.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #489
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yeah, I should have bumped the ISO. Quite simply, I had brain fog. I had it set to 200 in the room and neglected to change it when I went out. I do the same thing every time I take the WB off auto. I always forget to set it again for the next shoot. Usually takes at least one blown picture to remind me.

I'll try more at 400. I've shot at 800, but I was not happy with the noise level. Maybe I need to brush up on my NR techniques, though.
Remembering to constantly check my settings is something that I continue to work on. Back in the olden days, when we ALL shot manual, you looked at the light and then your settings for every shot. With modern cameras, it's easy to get lazy on settings and screw up a great shot opportunity.

My worst in recent memory was shooting a full moon at -2EV at pre-dawn. Next I walked way back in the woods to the lake shore and set up my blind and shot the birds as the sun rose. Maybe 30 shots were taken before I thought to check my settings, which were 3-stops too low for the morning light. Luckily there were no once-in-a-lifetime shots missed, but lesson enforced, if not learned.

Shooting in RAW, exposing right (to the right of the historgram) and judicious use of NR can yield surprisingly good results.

Dave
      05-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #490
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

how heavily do you depend on your histogram? I use it as a reference if something doesn't seem to be working right, but beyond that, i don't touch it too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #491
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
how heavily do you depend on your histogram? I use it as a reference if something doesn't seem to be working right, but beyond that, i don't touch it too much.
I only check it occasionally on each outting. If dynamic range is really high, then I'll look at it more often. I have the "blinky" light on constantly in the Preview, so I can see immediately if I've blown out any highlights.

My default setting is +2/3EV and I'll adjust up or down from there based on the histogram. The jpeg out of the camera generally look overexposed, but that's corrected in RAW conversion. Anything brown, grey or black will get added EV, while anything white in bright sun will get -EV.

All that said, once you do it for an outting or two, it becomes intuitive and easy to do.

Dave
      05-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #492
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I only check it occasionally on each outting. If dynamic range is really high, then I'll look at it more often. I have the "blinky" light on constantly in the Preview, so I can see immediately if I've blown out any highlights.

My default setting is +2/3EV and I'll adjust up or down from there based on the histogram. The jpeg out of the camera generally look overexposed, but that's corrected in RAW conversion. Anything brown, grey or black will get added EV, while anything white in bright sun will get -EV.

All that said, once you do it for an outting or two, it becomes intuitive and easy to do.

Dave
I'll give that a shot. Heading out for a walking tour in a bit. Got to rest up first from the walk back from the Javits Center with a big bag of books. Oof.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #493
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'll give that a shot. Heading out for a walking tour in a bit. Got to rest up first from the walk back from the Javits Center with a big bag of books. Oof.
that would be some interesting shots in there with the 1.8...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #494
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that would be some interesting shots in there with the 1.8...
Yeah, I wish I had it with me, but I couldn't carry the camera stuff and all the books. My walking tour will be to St. Bart's church, Grand Central Station, and then over to the UN plaza. Tomorrow I'll return to Central Park for my annual walkabout. Might hit the Statue of Liberty area on Friday for some shots back at the skyline.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #495
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Yeah, I wish I had it with me, but I couldn't carry the camera stuff and all the books. My walking tour will be to St. Bart's church, Grand Central Station, and then over to the UN plaza. Tomorrow I'll return to Central Park for my annual walkabout. Might hit the Statue of Liberty area on Friday for some shots back at the skyline.
You gotta check out Times Square at night. It's best with a tripod and/or high-ISO.

Dave
      05-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #496
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
You gotta check out Times Square at night. It's best with a tripod and/or high-ISO.

Dave
but you can get away with a tripod cause they're so many bright lights there

Also, hop on the 6 train to get to the Brooklyn Bridge
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #497
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:

to get the NYC skyline you'll have to be in NJ or Roosevelt Island.
Hop on the Staten Island ferry to see the Statute of Liberty for free
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #498
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

It took me over 2 hours to get on the statue of liberty ferry.... all the security is ridiculous for how long the lines are, or they should have another ferry doing the run.

I think next time, i'll go from the jersey ferry to save some time (hoping it's shorter lines.)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #499
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
It took me over 2 hours to get on the statue of liberty ferry.... all the security is ridiculous for how long the lines are, or they should have another ferry doing the run.

I think next time, i'll go from the jersey ferry to save some time (hoping it's shorter lines.)
yea, that's post 9-11 NYC for you
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #500
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
yea, that's post 9-11 NYC for you
fortunatly enough me and my buddy did the empire state building at around 10pm and there were no lines Otherwise that would have been another long wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #501
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
Quote:
fortunatly enough me and my buddy did the empire state building at around 10pm and there were no lines Otherwise that would have been another long wait!!!
i waited 1 hour + for pizza in Brooklyn (Grimaldis). It was well worth it though
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #502
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL View Post
i waited 1 hour + for pizza in Brooklyn (Grimaldis). It was well worth it though
haha, for that kind of wait, you pretty much have to have food with you in line to get more food
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #503
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Not to shed off a great topic like 'NYC' since I've never been there...

Is there something I need to change when doing the night pictures for different lighting situations? I can't understand why some of my pictures came out crystal clear while ones like this last one are grainy and out of focus?
      05-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #504
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

in low light, if you have a camera that handles ISO well, you'll get little grain.

however, not a lot of cameras are built to take high ISO like the pro cameras, so your best solution is to bring a tripod with you and do longer exposures.

if you're having issues focusing, find a sharp edge to an object and use your center focus point (canon) to focus on, then move back to where you want to be shooting.

also closing down the aperture will help any sharpness issues once properly focused.

some lenses allow you do do a focus, but allow you to fine tune the focus, so depending what equipment you have, this may also be an option in low light for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #505
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Not to shed off a great topic like 'NYC' since I've never been there...

Is there something I need to change when doing the night pictures for different lighting situations? I can't understand why some of my pictures came out crystal clear while ones like this last one are grainy and out of focus?
Show us an example or two.
      05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #506
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
in low light, if you have a camera that handles ISO well, you'll get little grain.

however, not a lot of cameras are built to take high ISO like the pro cameras, so your best solution is to bring a tripod with you and do longer exposures.

if you're having issues focusing, find a sharp edge to an object and use your center focus point (canon) to focus on, then move back to where you want to be shooting.

also closing down the aperture will help any sharpness issues once properly focused.

some lenses allow you do do a focus, but allow you to fine tune the focus, so depending what equipment you have, this may also be an option in low light for you.

Not sure if you saw the exif info from the raw file...

Camera: Nikon D90

Lens: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Shot at 38 mm (35mm film equiv: 57mm)

Exposure: Auto exposure, Shutter priority AE, 0.6 sec, f/5, ISO 720

Flash: none

Focus: AF-A, at 3.4m, with a depth of field of about 1.6m, (from about 63cm before the focus point to about 1.0m after)
AF Area Mode: Contrast-detect (wide area)

Date: May 21, 2011 9:45:34PM (timezone not specified)
(3 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes, 25 seconds ago, assuming image timezone of 5 hours behind GMT)

File: 2,868 × 4,352 NEF (12.5 megapixels)

10,718,264 bytes (10.2 megabytes) Image compression: 71%

Camera's not the greatest model out there, but I don't think it's a slouch either.

I'm wondering if I had the focus box set just above the hood, meaning that it picked up on the building instead of the car?