2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Steering wheel swap…need guidance

03-25-2022, 10:32 PM   #1
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Steering wheel swap…need guidance

Hi guys,

So I have a 2014 F10 that came with the sport steering wheel with vibration and heating. Now I have managed to source a pre LCI Msport steering wheel (so it's the same shape as my current steering wheel) and also has the vibration and heating function.

Now, I know these steering's have a control module inside them that controls the heating and vibration. So the question is…will this be a plug and play swap? Or will I need to do coding just because the steering is from a different car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2022, 01:16 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

They are plug and play. Why are you swapping it to Pre LCI when your vehicle is LCI?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #3
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
They are plug and play. Why are you swapping it to Pre LCI when your vehicle is LCI?
Even though my vehicle is LCI…BMW kept the same steering wheel for non-Msport LCI and Pre-LCI. I mainly just wanted the thicker steering wheel so went with Pre-LCI as that would allow me to re-use my existing airbag.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Hi guys,

So I have a 2014 F10 that came with the sport steering wheel with vibration and heating. Now I have managed to source a pre LCI Msport steering wheel (so it's the same shape as my current steering wheel) and also has the vibration and heating function.

Now, I know these steering's have a control module inside them that controls the heating and vibration. So the question is…will this be a plug and play swap? Or will I need to do coding just because the steering is from a different car?
From a mechanical aspect, you should not have any issues.

From a features standpoint, you may or may not set BMW specific codes.

1. If your old steering wheel and new steering wheel have exactly the same features, buttons, and functions, then your swap will be 100%, no codes will be set, nor will coding be required

2. If your new steering wheel "adds" features, buttons or functions, then depending on where the differences are located (button assembly vs harness, vs steering wheel electronics module vs clock spring), you may or may not set off codes, such as "LIN" bus addressing codes, which will not affect your vehicle in any way, but you won't be able to clear these types of codes without removing the feature via coding

3. If your new steering wheel has less features, buttons, or functions, you should do your best to transfer as much of the hardware from your old steering wheel over to the new steering wheel...with the exception of heating, all functions should transfer w/o issues and w/o setting any codes, and should require NO coding

Hopefully this makes sense...if not, specify where I created confusion, and happy to attempt to provide additional clarity.

Cheers

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 03-29-2022 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #5
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

From a mechanical aspect, you should not have any issues.

From a features standpoint, you may or may set BMW specific codes.

1. If your old steering wheel and new steering wheel have exactly the same features, buttons, and functions, then your swap will be 100%, no codes will be set, nor will coding be required

2. If your new steering wheel "adds" features, buttons or functions, then depending on where the differences are located (button assembly vs harness, vs steering wheel electronics module vs clock spring), you may or may not set off codes, such as "LIN" bus addressing codes, which will not affect your vehicle in any way, but you won't be able to clear these types of codes without removing the feature via coding

3. If your new steering wheel has less features, buttons, or functions, you should do your best to transfer as much of the hardware from your old steering wheel over to the new steering wheel...with the exception of heating, all functions should transfer w/o issues and w/o setting any codes, and should require NO coding

Hopefully this makes sense...if not, specify where I created confusion, and happy to attempt to provide additional clarity.

Cheers
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. The 2 steering wheels are exactly the same except the Msport one that I'm upgrading to is thicker and has the active cruise control buttons.

I am not sure if the vibrator motor is different (because this wheel is thicker?) or if the steering wheel module has a different I-step version. But I'm hoping these won't be an issue. I know it will work…but I'm hoping no codes as well. Btw is the steering wheel control module coded to a vin? Meaning it will throw errors or connected to a different car…..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:41 PM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Btw is the steering wheel control module coded to a vin? Meaning it will throw errors or connected to a different car…..
No, the steering wheel electronic module is not coded to your VIN....you can use REALOEM.com to determine the functions supported by a certain steering wheel electronic module by part number.
Appreciate 0