2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Adaptive headlight malfunction passenger side

03-22-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
Dio781
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i Xdrive

Adaptive headlight malfunction passenger side

Hi everyone, so I got a 2016 535i with Adaptive headlight led and not long ago I had a body shop install a M5 replica front bumper
3 weeks later my headlight got moisture built up inside
So taking the bumper off to check the headlight
I notice that they must've lost one the original screws the that goes on the top and replaced it a generic hex head one but the screw was longer than the original and put a hole on the headlight allowing water to get in
And of course they are denying doing that

I can replace the headlight myself but how complicated is Esys for coding the module
Is that something that someone can help me with
I do have ista which I use pretty well and Esys but never got around messing much
But would love to get more familiarized with it
So I can do some coding myself

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Attached Images

03-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio781 View Post
Hi everyone, so I got a 2016 535i with Adaptive headlight led and not long ago I had a body shop install a M5 replica front bumper
I notice that they must've lost one the original screws the that goes on the top and replaced it a generic hex head one but the screw was longer than the original and put a hole on the headlight allowing water to get in

I can replace the headlight myself but how complicated is Esys for coding the module
I do have ista which I use pretty well and Esys but never got around messing much

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Hi there it looks from the ISTA fault codes that the headlight unit ECU is not communicating with the rest of the other ECU's so perhaps it's not plugged in properly or something like that, could it be a fuse? Does it show up in the ECU diagram as green, or is it amber or red.

Also I know the adaptive headlights are very expensive so perhaps it might be worth clearing the condensation somehow and sealing the rouge hole in the light with epoxy or similar.

I had the ECU fail on one of my headlights and I had the same failure messages as you are getting on your I drive, BMW put it down to water ingress and it was replaced under warranty but it fixed the issue.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
Dio7815.50
      03-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
Dio781
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Hi there it looks from the ISTA fault codes that the headlight unit ECU is not communicating with the rest of the other ECU's so perhaps it's not plugged in properly or something like that, could it be a fuse? Does it show up in the ECU diagram as green, or is it amber or red.

Also I know the adaptive headlights are very expensive so perhaps it might be worth clearing the condensation somehow and sealing the rouge hole in the light with epoxy or similar.

I had the ECU fail on one of my headlights and I had the same failure messages as you are getting on your I drive, BMW put it down to water ingress and it was replaced under warranty but it fixed the issue.

Good luck
Thank you for taking time and giving me some input
I will check that again
But I did remove the headlight right off
And the Module did have some corrosion on it
I could try just replacing the module itself
But I still need to code the car
Right ?
      03-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #4
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes

Good luck
I will check that again
Right ?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes
Quote:

Thank you everyone

Here are the codes

Good luck
I will check that again
Right ?
I would have thought if you can find the right ECU for you car, check Realoem website with you VIN to make sure you get the right ECU (I think when I checked it's the same for all F10s And the same for both headlights it should just work as you are not changing anything the car did not already have. I doubt the headlight ecus are Related to vin, but obviously check its the right ECU for you area and lights, Xenon or LED and I understand the US does not have the Matrix capability, but I think that is coded "out" for the US market due to legislation. But I am not sure about calibration and the like that might be needed, some other folks on here probably know more.
Appreciate 1
Dio7815.50
      03-25-2022, 05:53 AM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

New module need program, used usually work without program
Appreciate 1
Dio7815.50
      03-30-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
I will check that again
Right ?
Same issue, 2014 535 led adaptive. A month ago I noticed my passenger headlight looked like a fishbowl.( It's barely ever shown the slightest bit of moisture.) Within a few days I started getting adaptive headlight failure warnings and similar headlight warnings. Parked the car on friday afternoon when I got in Monday morning battery was stone dead, got my meter out and the battery had 8 volts. I was about to go get a battery when I figured I should probably deal with this headlight issue also. Googled and searched the forums and found out that when the module shorts out it can also cause an off key draw and in turn kill your battery.
At this point I pull the headlight send it out to get resealed , luckily it had only been a couple days and I had not burnt up board the module slides into, ordered a new headlight module (they retail for 640 or so in the states I found one for 460 delivered from a bmw dealer in the southeast) and yes it has to be coded, off key draw ended immediately after replacing module. I had someone code it remotely and it now has high and low beam back but it gave me a right turn signal malfunction. He said he couldn't fix that remotely, so now I am reading up on ista and esys and seeing what i need to do to learn turn signals back in.

If you have full coverage insurance I would make a claim and tell them about the damage the shop did to your car. A new headlight retails between 2800-3300 depending on the dealer. I had mine resealed for 300. With shipping.
Appreciate 0