2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Phone Charger for Cup Holder (Auto version)

02-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Phone Charger for Cup Holder (Auto version)

I thought some might find this interesting. :-

I like to run the app CamerAlert from pocketpcworld for Speed camera notification on my phone when travelling in unknown areas but this really requires the phone to be visible and a power supply to the phone as the GPS and screen on drain the battery in 2hrs. On my Ford Galaxy the phone was in a holder on the dashboard but on the BMW the screen is much smaller and it doesn't look right so I found that sitting it on top of the Cup holder compartment just below the radio is quite nice as you can see it and touch it if necessary. A bit of antislip material between it and the cover holds it in place nicely.

The problem was where do I get the supply from easily and neatly. I had a 12v to USB adapter but when I tried it in the socket you couldn't close the cover. Most are to big to fit in and close the lid. After some searching I found a suitable small one on ebay and this is also a 2A version. This one fits nicely and the cover just closes. so I modified it to use a retractable lead as well ( see attached image) and this lead is thin enough to come out of the cup holder compartment with the lid close so a neat solution in the end.

A bonus is the there is still a USB connector on the top of the charger which is rated at 2A so can also be used to charge a tablet or a second phone but you need to have the lid open if you want to use this one.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s...7+14.52.32.jpg
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Theren is another 12v outlet hidden up underneath the passenger footwell (you have to feel the underside of the dash on the passenger side towards the centre console). This outlet is useful to feed something sitting on the centre oconsole by the cupholders also.
      02-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom
Theren is another 12v outlet hidden up underneath the passenger footwell (you have to feel the underside of the dash on the passenger side towards the centre console). This outlet is useful to feed something sitting on the centre oconsole by the cupholders also.
Ninja'd.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Shame they don't include one in the centre armrest like my E91 did. It was pretty handy there.
      02-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

I do have one in the centre console in the arm rest, next to the USB and Aux socket - that is the one I have been using until I made this one, but thought it would be much neater coming from the cup holder compartment rather than a lead all the way from the arm rest to the front of the centre console.

I found a problem however on the way home from the office, the DAB Radio reception was not very good as it kept dropping out. As I got near home it cut out altogether. I discovered that the USB adapter was interfering with the DAB radio and reducing its sensitivity. I remember having a similar problem on a previous vehicle with the charger for the TomTom affecting the DAB Radio, but had forgotten all about it until today.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskdale View Post
I do have one in the centre console in the arm rest, next to the USB and Aux socket
Is that part of an option, or something added since Nov'10?

I used to use that feature for keeping my TomTom charged up, I've got a similar extendible lead to you trailing out of the armrest to the rear socket now.
      02-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
Is that part of an option, or something added since Nov'10?

I used to use that feature for keeping my TomTom charged up, I've got a similar extendible lead to you trailing out of the armrest to the rear socket now.
Option 575 : Additional 12V Sockets (May be standard in some regions)
Attached Images

02-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, I tried looking online but most things get blocked here at work, and what isn't blocked generally doesn't display too well (surprised I can get on this forum TBH)
      02-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbotcom View Post
Good tip, found it and have ordered a cable to lead from this to my phone... no need to open cup holder and use that 12v point now, much tidier
Appreciate 0