2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum How long does it takes to charge F10 Battery?

02-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #23
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

At 20F ambient temperatures 12.2v is not unreasonable to expect.

Voltage over unloaded terminals is only a small part of the equation though. You need to test the CCA of a "fully charged" battery to make a solid determination of its overall health.

This can be done with the battery in the vehicle with a hand held tester. DO NOT use a old style carbon pile tester unless you want to damage the tester and the battery, a new age solid state tester must be used with AGM batteries.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #24
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

I have a 2/15/100A charger.
I use 2A if I have time available and the 15A for a quick evening charge (it takes 4 hours after the message appears).
I've never used 100A since it is for an instant charge / start for a car with a dead battery.
My 2012 is on its second battery (low mileage, short city trips, never garaged). Only used the charger three times in 4 years.

Glad OP finally got a full charge.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 09:29 PM   #25
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
A 1.25A "charger" us a maintainer, not a charger. It'll likely take days for it to sufficiently charge.

You're going to want a 30/60/90A charger to actually charge the battery in a reasonable time frame.

If you're getting battery discharging messages your battery may be on its way out. Check the production date on the battery, it should be stamped into the negative battery post. 4-5 years is typical max life span.
But be a dumb question but when charging the battery do you charge the one in the trunk or the one under the hood ? Was doing a software update and my car battery died. Charged the one under the hood for hours and still didn't want to turn on so it has to be my trunk battery that went out. No way to recharge it ? And if so how
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
But be a dumb question but when charging the battery do you charge the one in the trunk or the one under the hood? Was doing a software update and my car battery died. Charged the one under the hood for hours and still didn't want to turn on so it has to be my trunk battery that went out. No way to recharge it ? And if so how
I see an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to your battery in the pic you posted...this means that you should ALWAYS charge from the engine bay jump start teminals. Make sure you are using BOTH correct locations (neg & pos) for hooking up...I've seen many owners select "their own" grounding locations which tuned out not to be actual grounds...then wondered why jumping or charging didn't work.

If you don't know where your engine bay jump start locations are...then turn to your "paperback" owners manual or download a PDF version of one to your favorite device (cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop CPU).

If you hook directly to the battery to recharge it...then you are bypassing the IBS and this will cause the communication and charging maintinenace by the DME to be incorrect. The IBS (even with the car not running) checks on the battery's voltage...if there is a major change that was not detected by the IBS...then this will be interpreted as being inconsistent...based on the info/data being collected by the IBS.

See warning for charging an AGM battery at this link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/1Lil7vLT

{more info from the BMW TIS...take note of text highlighted in yellow and green}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-30-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #27
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
But be a dumb question but when charging the battery do you charge the one in the trunk or the one under the hood? Was doing a software update and my car battery died. Charged the one under the hood for hours and still didn't want to turn on so it has to be my trunk battery that went out. No way to recharge it ? And if so how
I see an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to your battery in the pic you posted...this means that you should [COLOR="Red"]ALWAYS[/COLOR] charge from the engine bay jump start teminals. Make sure you are using BOTH correct locations (neg & pos) for hooking up...I've seen many owners select "their own" grounding locations which tuned out not to be actual grounds...then wondered why jumping or charging didn't work.

If you don't know where your engine bay jump start locations are...then turn to your "paperback" owners manual or download a PDF version of one to your favorite device (cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop CPU).

If you hook directly to the battery to recharge it...then you are bypassing the IBS and this will cause the communication and charging maintinenace by the DME to be incorrect. The IBS (even with the car not running) checks on the battery's voltage...if there is a major change that was not detected by the IBS...then this will be interpreted as being inconsistent...based on the info/data being collected by the IBS.

See warning for charging an AGM battery at this link: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nance/1Lil7vLT

{more info from the BMW TIS...take note of text highlighted in yellow and green}

Must be trunk battery that's dead
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Is there another??
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #29
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I see an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) attached to your battery in the pic you posted...this means that you should ALWAYS charge from the engine bay jump start teminals.
Yep - Qsilver is right on the money. ALWAYS the hood terminals, never on the battery. (The terminals under the hood connect to the battery in the trunk, but through various monitoring systems that should be monitoring the charging process in order to get things right). Some optioned F10s may have additional batteries, but there is no battery under the hood, only boosting/charging terminals.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #30
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Is there another??
Yes trunk battery
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Is there another??
Both in trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:04 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Both in trunk.
I don't have active steering on either of our 535's and that area has a cubbyhole where that picture shows that "extra" battery.
Appreciate 0