2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Done with run flats !!!

07-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
whats more costly, replacing a TPMS sensor or a brand new runflat tire?

Rhetorical question.
In most cases, you don't need to replace the runflat, you can patch them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #24
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
whats more costly, replacing a TPMS sensor or a brand new runflat tire?

Rhetorical question.
In most cases, you don't need to replace the runflat, you can patch them.
In both cases I had a bulge develop in the sidewall
      07-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
In both cases I had a bulge develop in the sidewall
Get rid of the Good Year, it has been a known problem for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #26
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

I have Michelin Primacy HP run-flats on my car (front 145/40R19, rear 275/35R19). No problems so far but when I need to change, I am tempted to get non-run-flats. On a previous post about this issue Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires were advised. Anyone have any experience with this? I had also been considering Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by konasunset
I have Michelin Primacy HP run-flats on my car (front 145/40R19, rear 275/35R19). No problems so far but when I need to change, I am tempted to get non-run-flats. On a previous post about this issue Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires were advised. Anyone have any experience with this? I had also been considering Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Unless you do any tracking or go to a tire size that isn't available in a run-flat I'd stick with a run-flat. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports I have on my car are only on there because the Michelin Primacy HP's aren't available in the size I'm running on my car. The Primacy's are quieter and smoother and last longer than the PSS tires. I don't like giving up the convenience and safety of a run flat especially if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I do have a spare and a jack in the trunk, but that's just trunk space lost so my car can look good.
      07-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #28
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by konasunset View Post
58mm side wall in the front and 96.25mm in the rear, lol imagine? I'm sure you meant 245 fronts.

I have the Bridgestone RFTs and I kind of like them to be honest, good grip, cabin noise isn't bad at all and they don't ride like rocks. I can also recommend, by experience, Hankook Ventus V12s. They were a great price, had great feel, and are very durable. Performed on par with my Continental DWS and SportContact 2's
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #29
vader_slri
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive M-sport

Are most F10 owners running run flats? I was about to make the change to Michelin Pilot Sports all-seasons from the stock Goodyears that have developed sidewall bubbles. I thought all run flats developed bubbles. Is it only the crappy Goodyears? I'm looking for decent dry/wet weather traction, 245/40 R19 square setup. I do find the Goodyears pretty harsh. Appreciate the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #30
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

[QUOTE=Catfish454;16342597]Just swapped out my Goodyear RFT's for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. Couldn't be happier!....

Catfish - have put about 50 miles on my new tires (same as yours) and noticed a big difference within the first 2 or 3 miles. Far less road slap, much smoother, clearly a big step up and with better handling. The Pilot Super Sport was more performance than needed - the A/S 3 version is spot on for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #31
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

For what it's worth, I run my F11 on the original 17inch Pirelli run-flats that came with the car (car is only a few months old so not had to make a change yet) and I've had no problems at all so far.

I am wondering whether to invest in 4 more wheels with Winter tyres come November, but that's probably for another thread....
      08-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW
It's odd, on my E90 I never had an issue with the Bridgestone RFTs since over had the car. It has 17" for summer and Dunlop RFT for winter. No issues in 4 years.
On my F10 I just had my second bulge in 3 months on the Goodyear 19" wheels. Rather than replace another one, I replaced all 4 with Continental DWS.
So far I find they ride smoother but they are stiffer then I expected. Maybe the tire pressure is too high.
Crossing my fingers that I will be trouble free with these tires.

I cannot believe what garbage those Goodyear tires are!
I also made the jump from VW/Audi to BMW, and I'm not looking back. I heard that Continental finally made a XL Load Rated DWS tire. How do you like them? Bridgestone Driveguards are excellent RFT replacements for the Goodyear LS2. For the non RFT's I normally recommend Toyo Proxes 4+ but there's a new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tire that looks promising.

Good luck!
      08-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

I blew another tire on the highway at 80 MPH... inside of the tire had a bubble and burst apparently. Luckily I had a spare tire at home I could get quickly mounted. I've about had it with these shitty Goodyears.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #34
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
I also made the jump from VW/Audi to BMW, and I'm not looking back. I heard that Continental finally made a XL Load Rated DWS tire. How do you like them? Bridgestone Driveguards are excellent RFT replacements for the Goodyear LS2. For the non RFT's I normally recommend Toyo Proxes 4+ but there's a new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tire that looks promising.

Good luck!
The DWS are great tires... have had tehm in 19" stagered on an E92 as well, all around great tire however I dont run them in winter. I run dedicated winters.
      08-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #35
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Since I deleted the runflats, I keep a small road emergency kit in the trunk that includes a small air compressor that plugs into cigarette lighter, and also a bottle of Slime tire sealant.

This is a better solution than runflats since it will only take a few minutes to be back on the road for as long as I need to be, and better yet won't have to purchase a new tire as in the case of a runflat.
+1 BTW -- there is Slime now widely available that is TPMS friendly .. it washes out and does not damage the sensor. I keep a compressor and can of slime in my trunk all the time, and purchased a mini-spare that I throw in the trunk for out of town trips.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #36
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

I have Pirellis that formed a bubble. Our driving habits must be similar.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #37
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The first thing you should do when you bring a new BMW home is replace the run flat tires with new NON run flat rubber. It completely transforms the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The first thing you should do when you bring a new BMW home is replace the run flat tires with new NON run flat rubber. It completely transforms the car.
Just did this, sidewall bubble burst forced me to decide between two new Goodyear LS2 replacement or moving on to something else. I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza S04 and Continental kit.

First, credit where credit is due, I was able to get home safely on runflat tire with apx. 1 inch. long burst sidewall (110km away - two adults, two kids in the car). Kept the car in the driveway for two days waiting for Tirerack order to arrive, then took it to the dealer (another 25km away), no issues whatsoever.

My impressions so far:
- Runflats were louder, never really "loud" in the cabin, but when I'm comparing how the car is now, definitively louder.
- They rode somewhat rougher over the bumps, especially noticeable if you were in the back seat (as I happen to be only once so far).
- Did not feel the road as much, all the surface changes, cracks... on the road didn't transfer to the steering wheel as well.
- Felt they worked the best for me somewhat under manufacturers recommended tire pressure specs.
- Might be just me, but I felt they were horrible on wet surfaces.

Bridgestones (which I had on my previous car too) are dead quiet, very smooth and in my opinion much more sensitive to tire pressure being up to the specs. Also I find they are much more responsive to steering input, feel much more precise.

I wouldn't call the difference "night and day" but it's quite noticeable change (for better, in my opinion).

Price difference, replacing 4 Good Year LS2, approximately $1250 US, 4 Bridgestone + Continental Kit $740.

No regrets so far (2500 km mixed driving conditions).
I am a bit uneasy driving around with no spare though, but my logic is that Continental kit is as much of a guaranty to make it to the mechanic as runflat is. Both "most likely" will get you there, depends on type of damage you end up with I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #39
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Just did this, sidewall bubble burst forced me to decide between two new Goodyear LS2 replacement or moving on to something else. I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza S04 and Continental kit.

First, credit where credit is due, I was able to get home safely on runflat tire with apx. 1 inch. long burst sidewall (110km away - two adults, two kids in the car). Kept the car in the driveway for two days waiting for Tirerack order to arrive, then took it to the dealer (another 25km away), no issues whatsoever.

My impressions so far:
- Runflats were louder, never really "loud" in the cabin, but when I'm comparing how the car is now, definitively louder.
- They rode somewhat rougher over the bumps, especially noticeable if you were in the back seat (as I happen to be only once so far).
- Did not feel the road as much, all the surface changes, cracks... on the road didn't transfer to the steering wheel as well.
- Felt they worked the best for me somewhat under manufacturers recommended tire pressure specs.
- Might be just me, but I felt they were horrible on wet surfaces.

Bridgestones (which I had on my previous car too) are dead quiet, very smooth and in my opinion much more sensitive to tire pressure being up to the specs. Also I find they are much more responsive to steering input, feel much more precise.

I wouldn't call the difference "night and day" but it's quite noticeable change (for better, in my opinion).

Price difference, replacing 4 Good Year LS2, approximately $1250 US, 4 Bridgestone + Continental Kit $740.

No regrets so far (2500 km mixed driving conditions).
I am a bit uneasy driving around with no spare though, but my logic is that Continental kit is as much of a guaranty to make it to the mechanic as runflat is. Both "most likely" will get you there, depends on type of damage you end up with I suppose.
Good post. I am also a little uneasy without a spare but I feel the Conti kit will cover most cases. I actually had a nail in my min ru flat last week. I also carry a tire puncture kit. Repaired the tire and used the Conti kit to pump the tire back up. Fortunately I was home so I was able to use my race jack to jack up the car and remove the tire to repair it.
      09-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #40
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
First incident. I never saw the pothole but I did hit it (or something else) hard last night. Immediately afterwards I felt the vibration and sound that told me something was amiss. I travelled about 10 miles home counting on the run flats to get me there, immediately saw the damage when I stopped, took a picture this morning, and drove 10 miles afterwards to get the tire replaced at a shop. Damn. Now I'm waiting for the bad news that the wheel is also trashed. Funny thing - the low tire warning message did not come on at all last night, and it only came on about five minutes away from the shop this morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #41
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Yup me too. Just got a set of Michelin Pilots at my tire shop and at the next incident, I'm driving right over to have all four RFTs replaced. I got the bimmerzone spare a while back in anticipation of that day.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:07 AM   #42
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Hope you have tire and rim insurance. They cover road hazards such as pot holes
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #43
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Hope you have tire and rim insurance. They cover road hazards such as pot holes
Nope. Now I'm going to pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

How fast are you guys going hitting these pot holes? I have the 19s and the Goodyear LS2s. I live in DC and the pot holes + manholes are terrible. Still no problems yet. Maybe the agonizingly slow traffic is saving my tires and rims. I always see the pot holes but I'm forced to run over it most of the time.
Appreciate 0