2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Stone chips. Aerodynamic Issue?

03-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Remember the stone in question has probably been flicked up by another vehicle and will therefore be travelling at a certain speed and therefore has kinetic energy. The speed the stone is travelling combined with the speed you are travelling is the impact speed on the screen. The screen has to absorb the energy in the travelling stone (kinetic energy) which it does in the form of noise and impact damage to the screen. I still maintain that the car is prone to chips, whether it be aerodynamics or just the sheer size of the thing? Also a certain amount of luck is involved because the stone has to be there in the first place so no stray stones from other cars = no chips!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:48 AM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
Also a certain amount of luck is involved because the stone has to be there in the first place so no stray stones from other cars = no chips!
Quite so and hence my earlier point about there being more grit on the roads than in a more normal winter. I'm just glad I opted for a white car - the chips are there, but you have to look very close to see them.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quite so and hence my earlier point about there being more grit on the roads than in a more normal winter. I'm just glad I opted for a white car - the chips are there, but you have to look very close to see them.
I nearly went for a white one but in the end went for Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
jangof10
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi, Carbon Black

I have been watching this post for the last couple of days. Stone chips are defiantly top of mind right now for me as well. We are finally starting to get some melting on the roads where I live (Calgary) and 4 months of grit and debris is flying all over the roads.

I got my first to major stone hits on my front window last weekend. I was driving back from the mountains and got hit by stones twice. Happily the noise was the worst part and the window did not crack.

When I purchased the car I did get the 3M paint protection film(sometimes called a 'Clear Bra') applied to the car. This is supposed to stop any rock chips in the paint. So far so good.
      03-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Not just grit but bits of the road from the numerous potholes from extra cold winter here in England this winter. Our roads probably aren't designed to withstand these recent low temperatures.

And when are they bloody going to get round to getting them fixed? Blink an eye and I am in one and my beautiful new wheels are damaged! Perhaps never, with the cuts we are having...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #28
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

I got a chip on my hood and right fender, and two chips on the windshield 2 weeks after getting the car. Wish I had installed clearbra from the getgo. Brought my car into the insurance company and they will pay for a new windshield and repaint the hood and right fender for $300 deductible ($1800 estimated cost). Not a bad deal. Doesn't affect my premium. Didn't know they would cover this. Had I known, I would've waited a few more years to collect more dings and chips and claim it all at once. Now I got some chips on the bumper too. Oh well. I'm learning to live with it now.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawneyGet View Post
Not just grit but bits of the road from the numerous potholes from extra cold winter here in England this winter. Our roads probably aren't designed to withstand these recent low temperatures.

And when are they bloody going to get round to getting them fixed? Blink an eye and I am in one and my beautiful new wheels are damaged! Perhaps never, with the cuts we are having...
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

A couple of months on and 5500 miles on the clock....I have had just 1 more occurance. So bye bye sexy aerodynamic issue question and hello mundane dirty winter roads explanation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

people get frequent stone chip mostly due to regular tailgating.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Or having the misfortune to meet a gritting truck coming towards you in the opposite lane. Not very much you can do to avoid the cascade of grit/rock salt except perhaps drive into the ditch, but then you'd have more than stone chips to worry about .
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #33
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
I got my first stone chip yesterday, when I was driving at an abnormally normal 3-4s behind.. the perfect distance to give the stone enough time to rise? I'm going back to tailgating or hanging waay back..
Appreciate 0