2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driving Assistant Plus (5AT)

05-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Driving Assistant Plus (5AT)

Looking to order the 2014 5 series (LCI) soon...

Few questions regarding Driving Assistant Plus (Option Code 5AT)
- What all options does this include (on its own, not as part of a package)?
- Does 5AT include all features of Driving Assistant (Option 5AS)?
- Does 5AT include Active Cruise (Stop & Go) or will I have to order this separately?

- Can 5AT be ordered on its own as a single option (in the UK)?

Can someone generally explain what Driving Assistant Plus achieves? I mean the actual use of the features. The LCI press release talks about some technologies, but it is not really clear to me.

Thanks...
      05-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

There are two separate sets of technology:
1) 5AT Active Cruise with Stop and Go
2) 5AS Active Driving Assistant

You can read about 5AT here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...l_stop_go.html

5AS is new but if you read the ordering guide, you'll see it's simply a packaging of:
Lane Departure Warning
Forward Collision Warning
Pedestrian Warning
City Collision Mitigation

City Collision Mitigation is new and if I had to guess, it's BMW's response to Audi, Volvo and others implementing automatic full-stop braking for collision avoidance under a certain speed for cars and pedestrians. I haven't found anything on it other than mentions in the trademark statements

I don't think 5AS is to be confused with "Pro Active Driving Assistant":
excerpted from http://www.bmw-mail.com/ics/bmw_arti...de&language=en

"The Pro Active Driving Assistant identifies information relating to speed limits, tight corners, and turn-offs from the navigation system, and calculates the point from which drivers can allow the car to coast most efficiently. This involves more than simply releasing the accelerator pedal – with a new function known as "active coasting”, the clutch automatically disengages, so the vehicle does not lose speed due to engine braking. Engine braking resumes when the driver lightly depresses the brake pedal, re-engaging the clutch. So ConnectedDrive provides the information, and EfficientDynamics uses it to cut fuel consumption. By linking these two intelligent systems in this way, BMW has managed to further increase driving enjoyment while protecting the environment. "
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
There are two separate sets of technology:
1) 5AT Active Cruise with Stop and Go
2) 5AS Active Driving Assistant
Apologies, but I think you have misread/ misunderstood my question.

Mistake in your post:
Active Cruise Control (with Stop/Go) is option Code 5DF and not 5AT.

5AT is a new option specifically called Driving Assistant Plus.

I am enquiring about 5AT and not 5DF. From what I am aware of 5DF is already included in 5AT.
      05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Apologies, but I think you have misread/ misunderstood my question.

Mistake in your post:
Active Cruise Control (with Stop/Go) is option Code 5DF and not 5AT.

5AT is a new option specifically called Driving Assistant Plus.

I am enquiring about 5AT and not 5DF. From what I am aware of 5DF is already included in 5AT.
My BMWNA Ordering guide has 5AT as I documented it. See attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My BMWNA Ordering guide has 5AT as I documented it. See attached
This is strange, as in the UK it is documented as 2 separate options.

5DF - Acive Cruise Control (with Stop & Go)
5AT - Driving Assistant Plus

… Phew !
      05-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu

- Does 5AT include Active Cruise (Stop & Go) or will I have to order this separately?

Can someone generally explain what Driving Assistant Plus achieves? I mean the actual use of the features. The LCI press release talks about some technologies, but it is not really clear to me.

Thanks...
The confusion rests with BMW. BMW makes it look like you are losing something related to collision mitigation when you buy ACC.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

… Phew !
Indeed..... just to add to the confusion, this is what Driver Assistance Plus is in the BMWNA order Guide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse
Quote:

Phew !
Indeed..... just to add to the confusion, this is what Driver Assistance Plus is in the BMWNA order Guide.
But, I did confirm you don't lose anything by purchasing ACC. The ACC has everything the non ACC, but a more advanced collision mitigation system.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
varun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-sport

This is a simple one, 5AT is basically 5AS AND the Acc stop and go feature which has that radar in the front bumper and matches your speed with the car ahead, and brings you to a standstill if need be. Its basically a fancy version of the active cruise control and if you live in Manhattan or LA where highways are a parking lot during rush hour, get this option!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pre-LCI, it doesn't look like the 5 series ACC with Stop and Go actually brakes to a standstill. I am hoping the LCI model improves on that. I found an evaluation of several cars including the 5 series. BMW came next to last behind Volvo, MB and Audi. From that report:
"The AEBS in the BMW 5-series is not on a par with its competition. While the driver is warned very early, the initial alarm is too easy to ignore. If the driver fails to react to the warning, the BMW initiates partial braking, which does not reduce speed as effectively as the rival systems. If the obstacle is stationary, the BMW does not brake at all."

"The BMW does not come with an autonomous brake assist. If a collision is imminent, the car slightly aligns the brake shoes and improves braking response by priming the brakes. If, however, the driver applies inadequate brake pressure, it does not automati- cally adjust brake force to prevent the crash."

The full report is here:
http://www.activetest.eu/pdf/adac_aebs_report_en.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pre-LCI, it doesn't look like the 5 series ACC with Stop and Go actually brakes to a standstill. I am hoping the LCI model improves on that. I found an evaluation of several cars including the 5 series. BMW came next to last behind Volvo, MB and Audi. From that report:
"The AEBS in the BMW 5-series is not on a par with its competition. While the driver is warned very early, the initial alarm is too easy to ignore. If the driver fails to react to the warning, the BMW initiates partial braking, which does not reduce speed as effectively as the rival systems. If the obstacle is stationary, the BMW does not brake at all."

"The BMW does not come with an autonomous brake assist. If a collision is imminent, the car slightly aligns the brake shoes and improves braking response by priming the brakes. If, however, the driver applies inadequate brake pressure, it does not automati- cally adjust brake force to prevent the crash."

The full report is here:
http://www.activetest.eu/pdf/adac_aebs_report_en.pdf
It seems that LCI has fixed this issue.
Quote:
Excerpt from BMW Media Information:

Driving Assistant Plus provides even more extensive assistance. This system brings together Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function and the Driving Assistant to ensure, first and foremost, greater comfort and safety in slow- moving traffic and tailbacks. The driver can delegate proximity control duties to the system. The combination of a front-mounted camera and full-range radar sensors detects both vehicles travelling in front and stationary vehicles. If the driver does not react to the warning of a looming rear-end collision, Driving Assistant Plus automatically brakes the vehicle with anything up to maximum possible force, as required.
      12-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
berndh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

Does anyone know what year the 5AS and 5AT became available? Does the pre LCI models also have these options?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #13
berndh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 525d

Would it be possible to share either VIN or the FA list from Esys?

Then I can compare it with mine. I have a F11 06.2013 (pre-lci) but can't get it to work properly. I have ACC (5DF), LDW (5AD), LCW (5AG), but I can't add 5AS and 5AT to my FA without having coding issues or parts of functionality is now working.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #14
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:

Thanks...
As my research goes since i am about to retrofit $5AT on to my F85 ,

5AT including 5DF + 5AS so if you want to do 5AT, you simply delete the 5DF and 5AS from the VO. And the new 5AU including 5AT + 5AR but requires FRSF radar which is FRR-02 instead of shorter range FRR-01 FRS and the minimum of 2020 iLevel with HRSNL and HRSNR- Rear Radar Sensor Short Range sensors.

I wanted to have 5AU instead of 5AT and even got the FRR-02 radar but there is too many thing to do in order to achieve this version, but if it can be implanted you also take advantage of day time pedestrian with traffic light recognition on ACC stop n go.

i returned the FRR-02 and got FRR-01. Soon i will do the retrofit and share with the community. Still waiting some more parts.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 04-15-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      12-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Here is my DIY as i mentioned before i was gonna do the 5AT retrofit.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0