2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Carbon Fiber Intake Development F10 550i
View Poll Results: Gauging interest at $1500 for a set of intakes
Yes i would purchase provided they make power 28 52.83%
No i would not purchase regardless of power 5 9.43%
I would purchase if they were cheaper (please comment on how much) 21 39.62%
I already have a set of intakes 4 7.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

11-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #45
2011BMW550i07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

When will we be able to start ordering and any more information on the N63 intake? I'm ready for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #46
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
So, if I read this right, I will be able to install these to replace the factory plastic intakes but still be able to use my Dinan intakes as well? Would be nice to have my Dinan supplementary intakes be made of the same CF and the OEM intakes. Let me know, I am willing to be a BETA tester or one of the first to purchase.

Mike
I'm beta testing them for RK, i'll keep you all posted with some pictures soon once I get them.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #47
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Well, with the Dinan intake into the cf air box, holes would have to be cut. Would be easier to cast it with the holes already there. If sending in my already modified air boxes with Dinan holes cut for scanning would help, I would willing to send them in if turn around could be a week or so. I work from home so ic an due without the car for a week.

Let me know

You can see by attached pics, the cf intakes would prevent heat from seeping in as well as supplement my engine bay with the cf I have now.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 11-19-2016 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #48
Graffix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 xi M sport

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #49
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
Any update?
Sorry, been in guatemala all week tuning cars and just got back.

So this is what it comes down to, this mold is going to be pricey because of the length and the actual pieces aren't going to be any cheaper.

I can make this feasible for me on my end if we can get at least 5 guys to commit at a price point of $1600. If we can't make that happen, then this is a no go.

If you guys are ok with that, i can have a set 3d printed for prototyping and done within next few days, we will then have dyno numbers and a physical piece for you guys to see, followed by a final set in carbon fiber.

Everything is negotiable so if we can get more people to commit, i can bend some on the price. I'm open to opinions and comments as well, please share.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #50
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
Any update?
Sorry, been in guatemala all week tuning cars and just got back.

So this is what it comes down to, this mold is going to be pricey because of the length and the actual pieces aren't going to be any cheaper.

I can make this feasible for me on my end if we can get at least 5 guys to commit at a price point of $1600. If we can't make that happen, then this is a no go.

If you guys are ok with that, i can have a set 3d printed for prototyping and done within next few days, we will then have dyno numbers and a physical piece for you guys to see, followed by a final set in carbon fiber.

Everything is negotiable so if we can get more people to commit, i can bend some on the price. I'm open to opinions and comments as well, please share.

Thanks
-R
Raza, I ask this purely for educational purposes. How will your design differ from N63intake.com and Dinan?
      12-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #51
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu550 View Post
Raza, I ask this purely for educational purposes. How will your design differ from N63intake.com and Dinan?
Dinan - has increased flow and decrease pumping loss by introducing another access point for air, this is very good but limiting because the stock airbox is still the weakest link. Dinan can't put a filter up front and redo the entire system because they are a BMW reseller. So they have design constraints.

N63Intakes- These intakes use aluminum inlets for the maf, i question how the maf reading is correct, the inlets of the intakes are not 3" nor are they 3.5" equivalent. So how they are getting the flow reading to be correct is a mystery. Our system retains the stock maf sizing to not tamper with the maf reading. Our design has enlarged the entire system, sometimes equal to 4" of diameter. N63intakes are 3" all the way. We've also introduced form fitting and make sure everything is contoured to the chassis and within design constraints, not selling someone a simple 45 elbow with a maf port and off the shelf filter.

My engineering mind says that if we were able to pickup 25-35whp on the f10 m5 system which is much less restrictive, there's no reason to not expect something like that on the 550i system which is much more restrictive do to the design nature.

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #52
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza@RKautowerks View Post
Dinan - has increased flow and decrease pumping loss by introducing another access point for air, this is very good but limiting because the stock airbox is still the weakest link. Dinan can't put a filter up front and redo the entire system because they are a BMW reseller. So they have design constraints.

N63Intakes- These intakes use aluminum inlets for the maf, i question how the maf reading is correct, the inlets of the intakes are not 3" nor are they 3.5" equivalent. So how they are getting the flow reading to be correct is a mystery. Our system retains the stock maf sizing to not tamper with the maf reading. Our design has enlarged the entire system, sometimes equal to 4" of diameter. N63intakes are 3" all the way. We've also introduced form fitting and make sure everything is contoured to the chassis and within design constraints, not selling someone a simple 45 elbow with a maf port and off the shelf filter.

My engineering mind says that if we were able to pickup 25-35whp on the f10 m5 system which is much less restrictive, there's no reason to not expect something like that on the 550i system which is much more restrictive do to the design nature.

-R
Thanks for explaining the differences between the two as well as how you plan to make improvements over both.
      12-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #53
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you making custom cone filters also?
      12-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #54
phil7027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 550xi

Since its impossible to get an answer through email,

Do you tune the N63tu's? How much? Is it a dyno tune or off the shelf tune and go? When can you do it?

@raza@rkautowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #55
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7027 View Post
Since its impossible to get an answer through email,

Do you tune the N63tu's? How much? Is it a dyno tune or off the shelf tune and go? When can you do it?

@raza@rkautowerks
Really strange, i have not received any emails. What email address did you send the email to?

But you can expect 90/100 stage 1 and 130/140 stage 2 with downpipes. These numbers are at the crank.

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #56
phil7027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 550xi

Quote:
Really strange, i have not received any emails. What email address did you send the email to?

But you can expect 90/100 stage 1 and 130/140 stage 2 with downpipes. These numbers are at the crank.

-R
Sales.rktunes@gmail.com

Is it a dyno tune? Any datalogging done? What is the cost for the tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #57
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7027 View Post
Sales.rktunes@gmail.com

Is it a dyno tune? Any datalogging done? What is the cost for the tune?
oh that's not our email, any RKautowerks email will end with @rkautowerks.com

It is a dyon tune, we provide data logging, price has a few variations depending on vehicle and mods.

Please shoot me an email at my username and i will get you taken care of.

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #58
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh that's not our email, any RKautowerks email will end with @rkautowerks.com

It is a dyon tune, we provide data logging, price has a few variations depending on vehicle and mods.

Please shoot me an email at my username and i will get you taken care of.

-R
Any updates on the first set being finished bro? My front end is missing some filters
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #59
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
Any updates on the first set being finished bro? My front end is missing some filters
I'm gonna make a decision in the next few days. I will shoot you a text. Worst case scenario i can have a 3d printed set made for you.

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #60
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm gonna make a decision in the next few days. I will shoot you a text. Worst case scenario i can have a 3d printed set made for you.

-R
Sounds good bro. Yeah shoot me a text. Three weeks ETA until the unveiling
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #61
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post
Sounds good bro. Yeah shoot me a text. Three weeks ETA until the unveiling
Been keeping up with your IG posts, the car looks sick!

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #62
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

I wish it wasn't carbon fiber to keep the cost down. Would love to see something in the $500 range.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #63
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I wish it wasn't carbon fiber to keep the cost down. Would love to see something in the $500 range.
That still wouldn't be a feasible number because of mold costs. Plastic injection molding will most likely end up being almost the same.

-R
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #64
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

I am still interested at the 1600 price point if the HP increase is dyno proven with the roughly 30hp estimated. Would also like to know if the Dinan intake will still be able to be used in conjunction with this new intake as there is a RAM air aspect of the Dinan for higher speeds according to their engineering team. Also want to ensure CEL will not be a problem

I just received back my Rebuilt Alpina turbos from Pure Turbo and I have a set of M5 downpipes to install. Still need to check the DP lip to see if it needs modification on my 04/2013 build date 2013 550.

Then I need to see how to tune the BMS Stage 2 Beta to take all of this into account. Would LOVE to go with an ECU tune, but have yet to find someone with pre TU ability to get that done. Only Dinan sells the Stage 6 tune which takes into account for the Alpina turbos, which Dinan says are equivalent to the turbos they sold originally for their stage 6 design. Due to CA air pollution laws, Dinan has pulled their turbos off of the market and with less than a dozen ever sold for the car, I doubt they will bring them back due to engineering costs versus sales.

The larger diameter of the M5 DP's with the higher flow CAT converter should handle the increased outflow of the Alpina turbos from my research. The exhaust is stock 550 with Dinan exhaust cat back. Have seen people adapt M5 exhaust to 550 with some modifications, but have heard complaints of sound noise.

So the question will be, with an increased intake, larger turbos and M5 downpipes, will the exhaust even with Dinan mufflers cause a back pressure issue or not.

Anyways, I am still interested in this project for purchase keeping the above conditions in mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #65
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
I am still interested at the 1600 price point if the HP increase is dyno proven with the roughly 30hp estimated. Would also like to know if the Dinan intake will still be able to be used in conjunction with this new intake as there is a RAM air aspect of the Dinan for higher speeds according to their engineering team. Also want to ensure CEL will not be a problem

I just received back my Rebuilt Alpina turbos from Pure Turbo and I have a set of M5 downpipes to install. Still need to check the DP lip to see if it needs modification on my 04/2013 build date 2013 550.

Then I need to see how to tune the BMS Stage 2 Beta to take all of this into account. Would LOVE to go with an ECU tune, but have yet to find someone with pre TU ability to get that done. Only Dinan sells the Stage 6 tune which takes into account for the Alpina turbos, which Dinan says are equivalent to the turbos they sold originally for their stage 6 design. Due to CA air pollution laws, Dinan has pulled their turbos off of the market and with less than a dozen ever sold for the car, I doubt they will bring them back due to engineering costs versus sales.

The larger diameter of the M5 DP's with the higher flow CAT converter should handle the increased outflow of the Alpina turbos from my research. The exhaust is stock 550 with Dinan exhaust cat back. Have seen people adapt M5 exhaust to 550 with some modifications, but have heard complaints of sound noise.

So the question will be, with an increased intake, larger turbos and M5 downpipes, will the exhaust even with Dinan mufflers cause a back pressure issue or not.

Anyways, I am still interested in this project for purchase keeping the above conditions in mind.

Why do you need a ram air effect on a turbocharged engine? I understand getting rid of restrictions and all but RA seems about as pointless as 'cold air' intakes when you have intercoolers.

Not throwing shade, I just really don't understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #66
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Just was informational purposes as I have spoken to several of the Dinan engineers during the Intake, intercooler and exhaust install.
Appreciate 0