2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anyone moved to an F10 and regretted it? Particularly the lower powered diesels?

02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #67
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Duh, when temperature drops below -2 C degrees I regret getting a diesel. I can definately see myself in a manual 535i with a performance exhaust revving in front of a beautiful woman. How sick is that thougt?
      02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #68
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

+1
      02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #69
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

I have a f11 520d with m performance upgrade,200hp. Its a Nice relaxing cruiser, no problem staying in the left lane going through germany in your summer vacation, and with incredible efficiency. In that car i dont Get the need for speed. When im in my porsche 928 or the old 323i, I transform personality, then its pedal to the metal at every opportunity. So all in all, im happy with my 520d as a daily driver, listening to good music while driving and doing some day-dreaming :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #70
FnoFFen
Rep
Drives: 525d 2011 saloon, space grey

I have just converted from a E60 525i to a F10 525d (6 cylinder version, 204 hp). Both automatic transmission. I have never had a diesel engine before and maybe I need to get used to the engine some more. However, this is my first impression.

What I miss most from the petrol car is the strong push from standstill. I really miss that! Why no one has mentioned this? From standstill the diesel feels as a "normal", boring car (not 204 hp). For me this first, nice push with some deep pedal gave me the first comfortable feel of a great engine. Hope I can get used of not having this anymore.....

When you drive away and pedal it, however - then you very comfortable feel the nice tourqe, which I like. A more smooth, less "brutale" and long lasting acceleration than the petrol had and without the delay from kickdown

The sound of diesel is no issue - exept from outside at idle when the engine is cold - except from that no issue with the six cylinder.. Fuel consumtion of course a different story - the 2004 pertrol consumed petrol like an alcoholic....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #71
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Hi,

I'm considering trading my e89 Z4 sDrive35i for a 520D efficient dynamics model. A huge departure in terms of the type of car, but here in the UK the roads are rough and I'm favouring some comfort and better fuel economy.

Now there's a small premium for me to do this, and I've moved cars in the past and regretted it... so I wondered if anyone here has moved to an F10, particularly coming from a sports car or something high powered, more feely, and in touch with the road... then regretted it?
I have 2013 f02 and its pretty much an f10 with a different badge and a little more leg room in the rear.

But, I drove an f10 loaner for a week.

I must say, it has every bit of the magic of an e39, but with tech that actually works.

The f10 will most likely be the last 5 series you recognize as "classic."

The transition to super tech is here and the next 5 series will start to eliminate the "chore" of driving altogether.

So, I would suggest that you take the f10 and don't look back. It is such a fantastic car in all variants.

Please, be sure to get the ARS as I found that contributes greatly to perceived handling.

Next, if you are a tech guy, get the HUD. Plus, if you are going to order the car please consider ACC.

The ACC provides for a high tech ride with stop and go. But, more importantly, the ACC gives you an advanced collision mitigation system. The advanced collision system combined with HUD provides (or will provide) statistically measurable safety. The primary purpose if the collision system is to offset the penalty of distracted driving introduced by iDrive and iPhones.

Finally, think twice about the sport package if you ride on rough roads. I highly recommend the xdrive as it inspires confidence in bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

BMW Meet @ BMW NA Headquarters in NJ

Edit: Sorry wrong place lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #73
bazzer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d SE

All 520D Auto Owners - Serious Gearing Issue?

I bought a 520D SE with Sport Autobox new in July 2013 and am currently seriously regretting it due to a major flaw found in the gearbox programming in Comfort Mode.
When cruising up a slight incline in a 30mph speed limit zone, the car changes from 5th to 6th and the engine revs drop to just above idle at 1050rpm. This results in engine judder and unacceptable vibration, detracting from an otherwise superbly engineered car.
If I hit the steering wheel paddles to change down to get rid of the vibration / rumble with the engine labouring on the stall point, the car promptly changes back up and the revs drop to 900-1000rpm. The only cure is to move to sport mode where the engine revs go to 1400rpm + to take the engine out of the rumble zone. However constantly shifting in and out of sport mode every time there is a slight incline is a real pain and detracts from the "ultimate driving experience". In summary in comfort the gear change from 5th to 6th should be programmed about 400rpm higher to avoid the car entering the stall zone on change ups in comfort mode at 30mph
I have demonstrated this to the dealer and BMW acknowledge the issue but as yet no fix.
I have also taken delivery of an X3 2.0 X Drive Auto this year and this car does not exhibit the issue due to different gearbox programming?
Have any of you Bimmerfest readers (UK especially) experienced similar issue with the 8 speed gearbox as programmed in the 520D? I would like to see how widespread the issue is to gain momentum in instigating a fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #74
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

I changed from a wonderful 325 m-sport coupe to my 520d m-sport with Sport Auto, and my self and colleagues alike predicted an unhappy three year tenure-ship which is almost exactly 2/3 through next week.

I have to say I am very much not unhappy. Before I ordered and I recall this very well I used to think Diesel, over my dead body and look at all those idiots in big cars that they have stretched into and cant afford a decent motor, but its not true.

The 520d is much quicker than you think, really quite amazingly smooth on the motorway and once it has settled down (mine took 25k) capable of 50mpg even on a brisk motorway run

I very much miss my 6 cylinder petrol and the sophistication it provided but the superb ride, stability, interior and sheer class make up for it.

I heartily recommend the 8 speed sport auto too. I can add never an automatic to my earlier thoughts but apart from the odd mistake (it cant read my mind unfortunately) it is the future.

What do I plan next time you may ask. Well a 428i msport coupe is my answer. Not because my 520d is not superb which it is but because I don't really need such a big car and yes I would like some more power, however and I cant stress this enough, come car replacement time (1 year) if I cannot afford that car and an exact replacement offers best value I will very happily have the same again.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #75
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

I have driven a 520D extensively for a year. I bought a brand new 520D last year June and drove it for about 12,000 miles and have now moved to a new 535D.

Main reason, the 520D was just a wee bit slow. My other car is a 330 Coupe and the 5 series 520D was just not cutting it.

This is not to say that the 520D is not a good car. I think the good things said about the car (in almost all forums) are more to do with the F10 model instead of the 2.0 litre engine. Coming from a fast car, the 520D felt sluggish. Putting it into Sport (or Sport+) mode does change it's behaviour and if you push the car, it does respond, but then you lose on the economy.
Having a 3.0 litre engine in 530 or 535 form suits such a big car a lot better. The real world fuel economy between a 520D and 530D is not going to be very different if you drive it in a moderately spirited fashion.
The 530D or the 535D also sounds a lot better when you push it hard... It's a very refined growl compared to the 4 pot 520D.

If you can afford it, go for the six pot.
      09-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #76
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

From my personal experience and, I guess from other members here from Jakarta as well, if you get stuck daily in a bumper to bumper traffic such as here in Jakarta in your F10 then the 520d is actually the vehicle for you (or F30 320d). The gas mileage is awesome and the car is quite zippy actually. Now, does the 520d needs more umph? Well, yes, definitely. Then, I guess this is where the M-performance engine upgrade package comes in..
Appreciate 0