2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum want to black out (remove) inside tail lights

10-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
bmw_guy_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes CLS 550

want to black out (remove) inside tail lights

I think the new 5-series is nice - especially with the sport package.

My biggest gripe holding me back from buying the car is the huge old-school Toyota Avalon style tail lights on the back of the car.

However - I realized something. If the tail lights on the trunk were removed then the outside tail lights would look OK.

A color-matched piece could be snapped into each tail light section on the trunk.

I have to think that someone else has thought of this as well because this would make the car look much, much better because I think that this is the car's biggest flaw.

So has anyone else thought of this? I think this would require a tail light kit because the reverse white tailight indicator would have to be moved to the outside tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_guy_2020 View Post
My biggest gripe holding me back from buying the car is the huge old-school Toyota Avalon style tail lights on the back of the car......because I think that this is the car's biggest flaw.
Really? Do you think so? I beg to differ.
The LED Light Conductors have been BMW's signature for rear lights for the past few years - the "Thick" conductors representing the newer models for the past 2 years. I think F10's rear lights really look good at night, very distinctive and very BMW.......hmmm... nothing like the Avalon.

You can check out kfiend's whiteline tail lights. Though I actually prefer stock.

My only objection is the change from amber to red turn signal LEDs for north american F10 - a dumb thing to do for such a small saving in an expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
schmoolie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_guy_2020 View Post
My biggest gripe holding me back from buying the car is the huge old-school Toyota Avalon style tail lights on the back of the car.

However - I realized something. If the tail lights on the trunk were removed then the outside tail lights would look OK.
Urghhhh. I'm not sure about that I would need to see a photoshop mock up to be convinced.

Also you need to figure out the wiring, I'm sure just removing the lights would cause some computer objections.