2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ACC w/ Stop & Go

01-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #23
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
...I'd use it from time to time - specifically when it's late and raining... my least favorite time to drive.
ACC and Lane Departure shutdown in the rain. I remember driving 30 minutes in hectic traffic at night with the ACC helping out then hitting rain and I had to take over as each system shutdown (with a nice warning of course). Heavy rain in heavy traffic at night is stressful.
      01-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
ACC and Lane Departure shutdown in the rain. I remember driving 30 minutes in hectic traffic at night with the ACC helping out then hitting rain and I had to take over as each system shutdown (with a nice warning of course). Heavy rain in heavy traffic at night is stressful.
Wow - really?! I suppose even BMW's systems become a bit visually impaired in those circumstances. Seems like that's when drivers would need things like lane departure warnings the most, though!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #25
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Quote:
The ACC on mine works normally in th rain
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #26
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

On page 113 of my user manual it says:
The system may not be fully functional in the following situations:
▷ In heavy fog, rain, sprayed water or snow‐ fall.

My experience was in a heavy rain. ACC was the first to shut itself down. Then Lane departure. YMMV
      01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #27
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I've found that the blind spot warning also works imperfecty and intermittently in heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #28
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx
Quote:
The ACC on mine works normally in th rain
Well, there are two parts to the new ACC. The standard radar sensor that's been there for years, plus the newer ACC now uses the camera located near the rear view mirror.

The camera facilitates smoother operation when a car pulls away or into your lane. But, the ACC can function without the camera.

However, the camera is first to go when rains. The main sensor will fail during very heavy rain. But, ACC will still work without the camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #29
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I guess this would make sense. While most types of industrial grade radar work just fine in the rain, the wavelength of the radar probably has a lot to do with how it performs in bad weather - like rain or fog. My understanding from some industrial radar applications is that they'll work just fine in rain, fog, or snow (still accurate), but their effective range is reduced... some types more dramatically. I'm guessing BMW has a threshold somewhere, and if passed, they consider it unreliable - specifically if the effective range is shortened too much?

Aside from whether the range is effected to the point of being dangerous, another line of reasoning here may simply be that BMW wants the driver to be alert and fully engaged with driving the car if in a bad weather situation, and ACC may be counter-productive. In one way I can see that, and in another way I like the idea that radar may be able to see further up the road than a person in poor visibility situations... IF that's true in the case of BMW's system.

In any case, it's good to know. I'm curious where the threshold is for the system and what BMW uses as input to tell - rain sensors and wiper speed, degradation of an echo response on the radar, the camera's visibility, etc. It would be interesting to know.
Appreciate 0