2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Autoweek Review of 535 xdrive (18 July 11)

07-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
JAGD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Talking Autoweek Review of 535 xdrive (18 July 11)

Autoweek has a mostly thumbs up review of the 535 xdrive in todays online "daily drive" www.autoweek.com Two of the reviewers REALLY liked it and one was just ok with it. Made me feel good because they said that the car looks best in silver (you know what color mine is).

Name:  535xi.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  33.8 KB

Quote:
NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: The turbocharged straight-six is an absolute gem of an engine in this 2011 BMW 535i xDrive. The power is smooth and responsive, and 300 lb-ft of torque at just 1,200 rpm is a beautiful thing. This car launches quickly and breezes past slower-moving traffic on the expressway. It reminds me of Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander, who just throws 100 mph with an easy motion and seemingly without effort. That's how silky this six-banger is. Add in an eight-speed automatic, and this is a top-shelf powertrain.

The steering offers a connected feel, light at first, followed by more weight. For a two-ton car that's long and reasonably wide, this 5-series handles and maneuvers well. The body and chassis don't get unnerved, even when ripping into turns aggressively. The brakes are strong and return solid bite with little pedal travel.

Silver is perhaps the perfect color for this sleek sedan. It looks gorgeous in the parking lot, and the shape and silhouette present elegantly. Inside is a well-done cabin that's not overwrought. The materials, especially the wood-colored trim and leather, are impressive, and the easy-to read gauges are exactly what drivers with an enthusiast bent seek.

I've driven a lot of variations of the 5-series recently. Really, the 528i is more than adequate, even with its relatively low output compared with its siblings. The 550i--our long-termer--is a hoot, but this 535i is the best choice for family hauling.

ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: I was lucky enough to have two separate stints in this BMW 535i xDrive, and the more time I spend in this car, the more I appreciate it. The exterior is sharp and the interior is also great, with quality materials, clean design and good fit-and-finish throughout. Drive-wise, it's smooth and would be a perfect long-distance cruiser.

But what really sets this car apart are all of the little details that add to this Bimmer's luxury feel. For example, at night when you unlock the doors, there are lights that illuminate the door handles. Another cool feature was the top-view camera.

In the end, this car is the total package with good looks, luxurious interior accommodations and a great ride.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR--AUTOWEEK.COM BOB GRITZINGER: Four punches: 1) the start button, 2) sport on the chassis selector, 3) tranny into DS (S for sport), 4) accelerator to the floor. Do that, and you're rewarded with a cutting-edge precision driving machine at its hard-charging best--quickly winding up to max power, but with an inline refinement that belies the amount of rip built into this big German sedan. Yes, the big V8 550i or an M version might be the top of the mountain, but for most owners, this turbocharged six should be more than adequate.

Set in sport mode, the chassis feels just about right for most spirited driving--I'd save the sport-plus for track driving or for when you're out on wide-open roads where you can get a little sideways without upsetting anyone else's applecart. It's quick and responsive to inputs and seems to beg to be driven, not just pointed from A to B. As such, it makes even the dullest drive a little more enjoyable.

That all that is possible in a relatively large sedan is a tribute to BMW engineering.

I'd also echo the comments about the bird's-eye view backup camera: What a great system, making it possible to "see" all around the car. It's not great in lower-light conditions, such as in a parking garage, but in my driveway, it made backing out between some obstacles a cinch.

DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: I'm not feeling it. The 2011 BMW 535i xDrive is precise, capable, reasonably powerful, well-made and utterly soulless. The car doesn't seem to be enjoying the ride and comes across as vaguely contemptuous of having to ferry you about.

Inside is a broad swath of grey highlighted by grey, cold as the Alpine peaks, while outside, this BMW is classically attractive but nothing else.

As far as the powertrain, it was perfectly capable of moving the big sedan at a brisk pace, but for all the smoothness, it was utterly devoid of anything that would get my blood moving.

The good? Outstanding brakes, possibly the best I've ever felt on a large sedan--not just in terms of stopping ability, but also the feel of the pedal underfoot. Also, the heated seats are exceptional, providing even, comfortable warmth from the thighs to the upper back.

Otherwise, I had more fun in the 2012 Acura TL that I was in the night before, and the Honda Odyssey fits my family better--plus both were $20,000 less than this BMW.

2011 BMW 535i xDrive Sedan

Base Price: $53,275

As-Tested Price: $67,875

Drivetrain: 3.0-liter turbocharged I6; AWD, eight-speed automatic

Output: 300 hp @ 5,800-6,250 rpm, 300 lb-ft @ 1,200-5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,233 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 23/23.7 mpg

Options: Premium package 2 including rearview camera, power rear sunshade, heated front seats, park distance control, iPod and USB adapter, navigation system, satellite radio with premium hi-fi system ($4,500); dynamic handling package including adaptive drive, dynamic damper control and active roll stabilization ($2,700); Sport package including 19-inch alloy V-spoke wheels, sports leather steering wheel, multicontour seats and shadowline exterior trim ($2,200); cold-weather package including heated steering wheel and heated rear seats ($1,050); comfort access keyless entry ($1,000); side- and top-view cameras ($800); titanium silver metallic exterior paint ($550)

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1STrX2Pgm
Appreciate 0