2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Stuck in park - Shift to Drive, Car goes back to park

03-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
scoobdawg
Private
Rep
Drives: f10

Stuck in park - Shift to Drive, Car goes back to park

Just replaced my combox in my 2012 BMW 535ix and went to pick up my car after coding at my mechanic - Got in car and tried shifting from Park to Drive - My car immediately went back to drive, never going into gear - Let the car warm-up for 5 minutes and the car shifted fine into drive. The mechanic wasn't sure what's going on, called another mechanic who said it sounds like a bad Transmission Valve Body - Never happened before - Car is running perfectly otherwise and the transmission feels fine - Replaced transmission fluid 3 months ago - The car has 170K miles on it - Does valve body seem right? Would Solenoids maybe be cause? Any thoughts? Trying to avoid a major transmission job - Does it make sense to have a tranny shop look at it? Again - The car is not giving me any errors and is running fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
AlexRF10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdawg View Post
Just replaced my combox in my 2012 BMW 535ix and went to pick up my car after coding at my mechanic - Got in car and tried shifting from Park to Drive - My car immediately went back to drive, never going into gear - Let the car warm-up for 5 minutes and the car shifted fine into drive. The mechanic wasn't sure what's going on, called another mechanic who said it sounds like a bad Transmission Valve Body - Never happened before - Car is running perfectly otherwise and the transmission feels fine - Replaced transmission fluid 3 months ago - The car has 170K miles on it - Does valve body seem right? Would Solenoids maybe be cause? Any thoughts? Trying to avoid a major transmission job - Does it make sense to have a tranny shop look at it? Again - The car is not giving me any errors and is running fine.
Did you happen to put it in drive with the door open? It has a safety feature, if the doors open or if it thinks it's open it will put the trans back into park right away.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
scoobdawg
Private
Rep

Nope.. Doors were definitely shut..
Valve Body seal??? No clue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRF10 View Post
Did you happen to put it in drive with the door open? It has a safety feature, if the doors open or if it thinks it's open it will put the trans back into park right away.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Wozza77
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535d

does it give you any notice on the iDrive ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #5
AlexRF10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535IX

Quote:
Nope.. Doors were definitely shut..
Valve Body seal??? No clue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRF10 View Post
Not sure... I'm no mechanic, I just learn as I go. Never heard of valve body seals doing something like that. Sounds like the computer was putting back in park as a safety precaution. Maybe something with the electronic shifter? Either way it should show you codes if your mechanic scanned it with ISTA afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
scoobdawg
Private
Rep

No codes at all, nothing on the idrive either! so weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza77 View Post
does it give you any notice on the iDrive ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

No codes in ISTA or just normal scanner? Fishy this happened right after work being done on it. Don't let them talk you into a new valve body, do solenoids before doing entire valve body but exhaust all other possibilities first and to need ISTA or a good scanner like the foxwell nt510 to read transmission codes and live data. New solenoids will set you back 500 for complete set
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Does not seem like anything transmission related honestly. Maybe a one off thing or shifter
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
scoobdawg
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the responses - The car seems fine now - I'll drive it and see how it goes - They had not put a scanner on it yet - Just really odd - Sounds like the overall consensus is that its most probably not transmission - Hope thats the case!
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #10
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Another vote for door handle - comfort access. Seems like quite a common problem these days. My car used to switch to neutral at the end of the driveway for no apparent reason. New driver door handle solved it.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #11
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

Hey man i have a 2012 528i xDrive. Turbo blew and the car sat for a few weeks and same thing as you happened. I literally had to let the thing warm up on a blown turbo for 20 min for it to go into gear. Its been really cold and the car sat outside for 3 weeks so i hope its just because of that but will update you if it happens again. Finishing turbo tomorrow then will see if it will go into gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #12
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
Hey man i have a 2012 528i xDrive. Turbo blew and the car sat for a few weeks and same thing as you happened. I literally had to let the thing warm up on a blown turbo for 20 min for it to go into gear. Its been really cold and the car sat outside for 3 weeks so i hope its just because of that but will update you if it happens again. Finishing turbo tomorrow then will see if it will go into gear.
How did it go?

On another note, Upgraded, rebuilt or OEM turbos? Just being nosey!
Upgraded 51mm turbos, Heatsync Stage 3 Flash, JB4 stacked, BMS WMI, Arm Charge Pipes, Heatsync Catless DPs, X-Pipe, Res Muffler Delete, xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash, Turbosmart Diverter Valves, 3.5 TMAPs, Oil Cooler, Heatsync Front Mounted Max Cool Intakes, Walbro LPFP and e40 mix rollin on Stance SF07 9x20 w/Toyo Extensa and 10.5x20 w/Toyo R888R.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #13
Inkd_hapa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m550i F10

Quote:
Sounds like valvetronix. Same thing happened to mine. Had the trans valve Tronics rebuilt. Worked perfect
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:42 PM   #14
ckaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550bye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaul View Post
How did it go?

On another note, Upgraded, rebuilt or OEM turbos? Just being nosey!
Went into gear fine. And i went with a vargas stage 1 turbo!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #15
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkd_hapa View Post
Quote:
Sounds like valvetronix. Same thing happened to mine. Had the trans valve Tronics rebuilt. Worked perfect
Where did you have the rebuild done? Cost?
Appreciate 0