2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Side view stopped working...

03-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Side view stopped working...

So yesterday I took my car from the body shop after they had to repair some C pillar damage i managed to cause while reversing (don't even ask). Today I turned on side view and immediately got a 'Camera System' warning on the dash and in the HUD - instead of the image from the left camera I get a solid blue image... I'm talking about the [edit] top view camera, the one under the left mirror. I checked the mirror/lens and see absolutely no damage. The right one works properly.

I find it very suspicious that it stopped working after the car spent 5 days in the body shop, although the repairs they did were nowhere near the mirror. Regardless, car's under warranty so it shouldn't cost me a dime, but it means no car for another few days.

Any ideas what I can check? Not sure how these cameras are connected - probably a wire from the mirror to a central AV unit? I also would like to check the fuse related, but couldn't find a matching icon on the fuse schematic, any clue? Ta

Last edited by Breach; 03-23-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
ENZO-
HUSTLE.... HARD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
So yesterday I took my car from the body shop after they had to repair some C pillar damage i managed to cause while reversing (don't even ask). Today I turned on side view and immediately got a 'Camera System' warning on the dash and in the HUD - instead of the image from the left camera I get a solid blue image... I'm talking about the [edit] top view camera, the one under the left mirror. I checked the mirror/lens and see absolutely no damage. The right one works properly.

I find it very suspicious that it stopped working after the car spent 5 days in the body shop, although the repairs they did were nowhere near the mirror. Regardless, car's under warranty so it shouldn't cost me a dime, but it means no car for another few days.

Any ideas what I can check? Not sure how these cameras are connected - probably a wire from the mirror to a central AV unit? I also would like to check the fuse related, but couldn't find a matching icon on the fuse schematic, any clue? Ta
Just a little advice........When you bring it to BMW don't mention it was at the body shop.
RIP : 2003 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach

Ugh! This pisses me off! You got caught in the design fault that I did---albeit for different reasons.

Basically, BMW decided to avoid checking the integrity of the side view camera system---until it is used.

You see, BMW could have designed the car to check the camera system on start up. However, BMW decides to wait to check the status of the camera system until the user requests to use it.

Bmw's thinking is "out of sight, out of mind."

Well, that means if you never use the side view camer la system, you will never know if its broken.

To me, all systems should be verified on startup. This way, when you pulled out of the body shop, you would have known the camera was busted. Instead, you are days away from the body shop and the you call up the side view cameras and now you get the error.

This sucks. Because, had the techs at the body shop immediately received the error, they could have had it fixed. There is an ethical issue here too.

By hiding the error, buyers of used cars may not know of the failure until weeks later after purchase. I think BMW should run a short diagnostic on all systems at startup.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

The body shop is the dealership's - why wouldn't I tell them...?

Yeah, I agree that the system should be checked on start-up - what's even 'funnier' is that this alert is only displayed on the dash - doesn't appear in the iDrive 'error log'... wonder if it's even logged to the FOB... inconsistent.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
ENZO-
HUSTLE.... HARD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
The body shop is the dealership's - why wouldn't I tell them...?

Yeah, I agree that the system should be checked on start-up - what's even 'funnier' is that this alert is only displayed on the dash - doesn't appear in the iDrive 'error log'... wonder if it's even logged to the FOB... inconsistent.

Here is why you don't tell them, short version my car was at the body shop for being hit by a deer on the drivers side doors.

It sat for 26 days in the cold, rain and snow. I picked it up after it was fixed. I got 1 min from the body shop pressed on the brakes and the car shook like hell I knew my rotors were warped.

I made an appt. Being the honest guy I am I told them my car was just at the body shop being repaired for a side deer hit. Brought it to BMW, got loaner, got a call my rotors are warped. I would have to pay $1,098.00 I replied I have a 4 yr 50k warr and maintainence. They said because it was at the body shop they cant do anything for me.
After talking to the service manager and store manager they finally gave in and replaced the rotors and pads.

They said to me anytime you say body shop they can refuse the warranty claim.

That's why you don't tell them.

In your case it was at a BMW Body shop so they already know.
RIP : 2003 M3
Appreciate 0