2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i in for service...impressions on 2014 xdrive 328d loaner

10-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

535i in for service...impressions on 2014 xdrive 328d loaner

First thing I miss my car already! Getting oil changed, rear brake pads replaced as well as the vanos bolt recall? Any who they gave me a loaner and boy I don't like it! I was kinda excited at first when the service advisor told me what my loaner would be since originally we were looking at the 3 series. All i could say is wow...Do all diesel's sound like that? It sounds like the car is in need of a valve adjustment! kinda like my mom's old 85 Volvo. When I put the car in Sport Mode the car would even sound louder when I floored it! I couldn't believe how horrible the engine sounds as i was ripping thru the gears! Last thing and maybe it's just me but when you're at a stop the car engine literally shuts off. Never knew it would do that so my son and I were like WTF LOL? Anyways...just my opinion but I just don't like the diesel versions. Maybe something was wrong with the car but please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Diesel engines are all louder than petrol engines - just inherent to the design. They've gotten significantly quieter over the years, but they're still not acceptable to me. The clatter you're referring to is, unfortunately, not an issue with the engine - just a trait.

The start/stop technology is also on all of the new BMWs across the line-up. There's a little button below the Start/Stop button to turn it off. Mine is permanently disabled.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not downing the diesel engines just not my cup of tea. The clattering makes me feel as if the engines gone some loose bolts lol! As for the stop/start feature I feel like I'm gonna hold up traffic cause the car might not start. Maybe because it's diesel but the car shakes or abrupts when u step on the gas when u go...not a smooth transition.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Not downing the diesel engines just not my cup of tea. The clattering makes me feel as if the engines gone some loose bolts lol! As for the stop/start feature I feel like I'm gonna hold up traffic cause the car might not start. Maybe because it's diesel but the car shakes or abrupts when u step on the gas when u go...not a smooth transition.
No a fan of diesels, either, for the very same reasons - a bit too much clatter and lack of refinement to the feel and sound. The low-end torque is nice, but lack of redline isn't so great.

The start/stop feature is a gimmick to me. I've read a few studies that have debunked its value, suggesting that its true value is in helping BMW squeak a few extra points out on European emissions tests versus truly helping owners save money. But that's a whole other debate for another thread. As I said, I simply defeat it. If you have a 2014 or newer, at least on the 5-series, it'll remember the selection. And the abrupt start is unfortunately part of the game there, too. The engine actually starts in a fraction of a second, but I'm not keen on any delay not matter how small - nor the vibration. It just serves to remind me that I'm putting some nice extra wear on my battery, starter, and nearly every mechanical part of the engine at each stop light in the pursuit of saving pennies in gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The 4 cylinder diesel that is in the 328d is not a good representation of how good the best contemporary diesel engines have become. That particular engine is not particularly smooth or refined.

The 6 cylinder in the 535d is a gem. Uber smooth, quiet, refined, and with a huge rush of torque from just 1000 rpm, I would pick it over and over again over the straight 6 petro in the 535i. I have owned that petro 6 in several of my recent cars, and while it is a world class engine, I never found it to be quite as sweet as the non turbo 6.... faster, yes.... sweeter, um, no.

The bmw 535d is sublime.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Diesel engines are all louder than petrol engines - just inherent to the design.
Agree but also most of 3 series lineup is louder than most 5 series (from the driver's seat), again, simply by design. Noise insulation in 5 series cabin is absolutely exceptional, something to consider when judging the noise of 3 series diesel engine.

Yes, diesels are louder and I get that it's not everybody's cup of tea, that's perfectly normal, but they have come a long way. 535d numbers are pretty impressive, and unless a person is after pure performance numbers, it's pretty nice vehicle in my opinion.

The savings on the pump are significant on the long run too, and while that might not be the most important factor for most owners, places outside of North America are paying through the nose at the pumps and wouldn't dream of having gas engines with inline six or thirsty V8 - (I'm talking about average car buyer here, not wealthy car enthusiast which will always be somewhat of an exception).

Again, I get that it's not for everybody, but diesels get exceptional bad reputation in North America, and I personally never quite understood that.

On the other hand, 5 series is such a nicely balanced car that lots of "lesser" loaners (diesel or not) are failing to match. My initial impression about X1 I received was less than favorable initially (understatement of the year).

BUT.... after spending almost a full week with it, yes, it's clear that it's no match for 5, but still drove better than lots of other cars out there, still (thought you have to dig deep) you could tell it was a BMW car in terms of engine and handling and stood above the rest in similar category.

My point here if you own 5 series, it spoils you a bit, lots of what's out there initially will feel like quite a bit less of a car than it actually is, sure some of that is diesel in this case, but it's also 3 series, great car just not "as refined" by design.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

On the -15 BMW has an updated diesel 4-cylinder engine. I heard them both at the same time and the new one is much quieter, can still hear that it is a diesel, but compared to the -14 this one is about twice as loud.

On the start stop. The engine starts when you release the brake, or if you have been stationary for some time.
I thought it had a separate power supply and did not use the battery for this, but I'm not sure.
I tend to switch mine off like ezmaass.

I love my diesel 5 but I might go petrol next time, something about a screaming high revving engine that the diesel can never do.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You guys are right! My 5 series spoiled me! Finally picked her up at the dealership. They gave me $50 credit to the accessories dept so I ended up getting some bling valve stem caps and a fob protecter. Pretty nice of them for doing that! What sux is they pointed out a bubble on the driver side front tire sidewall RFT. they quoted me $ 530 for the tire installed....wow!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
On the -15 BMW has an updated diesel 4-cylinder engine. I heard them both at the same time and the new one is much quieter, can still hear that it is a diesel, but compared to the -14 this one is about twice as loud.

On the start stop. The engine starts when you release the brake, or if you have been stationary for some time.
I thought it had a separate power supply and did not use the battery for this, but I'm not sure.
I tend to switch mine off like ezmaass.

I love my diesel 5 but I might go petrol next time, something about a screaming high revving engine that the diesel can never do.
Good to know about the 14 versus 15. I think diesels have come such a long way, and clearly lots of money is being poured into alternative fuels, engines, etc, all in a race to produce the most efficient cars.

Yes, the high revving nature of petrol engines is more addictive, though. I rarely bring my 550 to redline, but it does happen on occasion. Then I hop in the R8, and when I get up to 6k I think it's time to shift, look down and realize I still have another 3k RPM left to go!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I guess I would have to test drive a 535d to see if there is a difference. Just seems like my 535i has a nice purrrr to the engine when I'm going through the gears. The diesel on the 328d seemed like more clattering if anything. Also like ezmaass mentioned earlier the red line was very short and if I didn't switch gears it automatically did it for me which threw me off. Handling on the 328 was pretty good when I hit the 360 on ramp entering the highway.

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 10-28-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Good to know about the 14 versus 15. I think diesels have come such a long way, and clearly lots of money is being poured into alternative fuels, engines, etc, all in a race to produce the most efficient cars.

Yes, the high revving nature of petrol engines is more addictive, though. I rarely bring my 550 to redline, but it does happen on occasion. Then I hop in the R8, and when I get up to 6k I think it's time to shift, look down and realize I still have another 3k RPM left to go!
I heard the X3 2.0D I may have missed on the years, should have been a -13 vs -14.
He started up the -13 with all it's diesel clatter, then moved over about 3 meters (9ft) and started up a brand new -14.
When standing next to the front wing of the -14, you actually heard the -13 the best.
He then stopped the -13, and you could hear a muffled clatter from the -14.
now this is for the 4-cylinder diesel, I don't know if anything is done to the 6-cylinder ones.

I rarely brought my M3 to redline either, but there is just something that feels wrong with shifting around 4500 rpm.
Still have the old 850i v12, so I can get my petrol fix if I need it.
Think I will go M5 next time though, If I can let the wagon go
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
pr0gi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 40i, X3 M40i

a 4 cylinder diesel is a big no no for me. the 6 cylinder 30d (258hp) and 35d (313hp) which we get here in Europe are just perfect. You can barely hear the engine at idle if you turn your radio on and when cruising at high speed you hear nothing. I drove 535i and 535d one after another and wow that diesel though. From the figures I see the European 530d is very close to 535i while giving much better fuel economy.

Last edited by pr0gi; 10-29-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #13
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I guess I would have to test drive a 535d to see if there is a difference. Just seems like my 535i has a nice purrrr to the engine when I'm going through the gears. The diesel on the 328d seemed like more clattering if anything. Also like ezmaass mentioned earlier the red line was very short and if I didn't switch gears it automatically did it for me which threw me off. Handling on the 328 was pretty good when I hit the 360 on ramp entering the highway.
The N47 4 cylinder BMW diesels are not the best diesel in class for refinement. I suspect BMW have set up the injection strategy for best emissions and consumption, leaves us with some combustion clatter. The installation in the F30 body is not the best example of sound deadening either, from my experience in a 320d.

As to the 535d (530d Europe) I tested a F10 530d 'back to back' with the 535i. the 530d is a very refined diesel installation, still a bit of NVH from the engine, noticed most at idle and through the body and foot rest. I preferred the 535i for refinement, in all conditions.

I'm a long term diesel user, but the 535i went to the top of my list, even over here in the UK where the 535i is a rare motor. Love my 535i wagon.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #15
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I might add that the N47 4 cylinder diesels seems more refined in the F10 than in the F30.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #16
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I heard the X3 2.0D I may have missed on the years, should have been a -13 vs -14.
He started up the -13 with all it's diesel clatter, then moved over about 3 meters (9ft) and started up a brand new -14.
When standing next to the front wing of the -14, you actually heard the -13 the best.
He then stopped the -13, and you could hear a muffled clatter from the -14.
now this is for the 4-cylinder diesel, I don't know if anything is done to the 6-cylinder ones.

I rarely brought my M3 to redline either, but there is just something that feels wrong with shifting around 4500 rpm.
Think I will go M5 next time though, If I can let the wagon go
Noggie - would love to see some pics of your 850! I loved that car! I wish BMW would get back to making some cars like the 8-series. Instead, they're giving us hybrid "sports" cars that can't make it three laps without the battery giving out and leaving the driver a 3-cylinder engine. I keep hoping that we'll see a petrol version of the i8, but I'm doubting it. Maybe we need to wait to see what the joint Toyota work produces?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #17
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Noggie - would love to see some pics of your 850! I loved that car! I wish BMW would get back to making some cars like the 8-series. Instead, they're giving us hybrid "sports" cars that can't make it three laps without the battery giving out and leaving the driver a 3-cylinder engine. I keep hoping that we'll see a petrol version of the i8, but I'm doubting it. Maybe we need to wait to see what the joint Toyota work produces?
Agree, can't believe they haven't made an M1 yet because the rumours have been around for years. Especially as Audi have done so well with the R8, as you I'm sure you fully appreciate as you have one!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #18
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I'll find som pictures and make a new thread, have some requests for pictures of my m550d too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Agree, can't believe they haven't made an M1 yet because the rumours have been around for years. Especially as Audi have done so well with the R8, as you I'm sure you fully appreciate as you have one!
Rumor has it a new i8s will be launched to celebrate BMWs 100th anniversary.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rcar?fbfanpage
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #19
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Rumor has it a new i8s will be launched to celebrate BMWs 100th anniversary.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rcar?fbfanpage[/QUOTE]

Interesting, however I would still love to see BMW try their hand at a more traditional supercar and badge it as the M1. Especially as they now the ex - Ferrari designer on board...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #20
3Bavarian
Rep
Drives: 535d

I really enjoy my 2014 535d,,, you press the accelerator and the car takes off like a V8,,,the performance numbers are very similar to the petrol 535.
When I want to have even more fun, I just borrow my sons 135 manual 6, and I forget about the 5 series 6cylinder engine,diesel or not, especially since the 1 series is much lighter than either car.

I find the 31.8 mpg daily, on city driving with my diesel, very agreeable.
Appreciate 0