2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Would changing Run flats help quiet the cabin?

06-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
OK, I need to change my wording on that. Since I joined the forums here I read many of your posts and felt all were "right on" and more important backed up by facts. So it's not really disagreeing with what you said, as all of it is in fact correct. I'm just thinking statement like “these cars are tuned for RF tires”, while true, will scare OP off from giving regular tires a fair chance (I think every owner should at least try what it's like to drive modern BMW without RF).
You've probably read my expression "suspension compromised for run-flats", which is probably more accurate, certainly for the first generation models with run-flats.

I've no doubt non run-flats will be fine 'as is' for most users, I'm even tempted to try a set of wheels with Michelin PSS fitted. But not sure an 18" will be the 'sweet spot' on Adaptive Drive, I think I'd be looking to fit 19" with the MPSS, to get the best feel from the chassis.

I know there are some compromises to the way I'm sticking with run-flats, particularly after my experience with the E91. But I've lived with it for over 3 1/2 years and other than the odd occasion where I know a non run-flat would be better, am willing to live with my setup to save all the issues the E91 brought me when changing over from the run-flats.

I certainly don't go around in the F11 thinking about the tires the whole time, like I did in the E91 ahead of changing them. In fact I hardly ever give the tires a thought these days. (Except in forum discussions. )
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #24
rabjab12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 comp

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Run flats

I put Michelin pilots on my 2014 550 msport to save the original ones for lease turn in. Noise wasn't effected but ride improved
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #25
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I tried the full spare in the trunk space in my E91, took up too much room as I often needed the full space for luggage for 4-adults. As I still had my run-flat set, I even swapped the wheels, put the run-flat set back on when needing the car for a few days with passengers and luggage. Not the way to easily run a vehicle in my experience.

It is one reason why I've opted to stay with run-flats this time around, as the F10/11 wheel is even larger, takes a big part of the F11 trunk.
My E92 had an even smaller trunk but as a coupe I never needed luggage for 4. I have an Allroad if I need more space. My Msport with staggered 19's does not have a manufacturer that makes an all season RFT!!!
I guess I can find a pair of smaller rear wheels to match the front and have the benefit to rotate the tires.