2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Driver Assistance During Bad Weather

04-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Driver Assistance During Bad Weather

I was driving today in some pretty heavy rain and had the car report that it was shutting down the pedestrian detection feature. I've seen this before in heavy rain, so it was nothing new. However, it also then reported it was shutting down collision warning - never saw this before. A few minutes later, I toggled collision warning on/off on the driver assistance switch panel to see if it would re-engaged. The first time it said it couldn't be activated. The second time it engaged.

I'm pretty sure the pedestrian detection is just camera based, so poor visibility would make sense. However, I thought the collision warning system was based on the radar sensors also used for the active cruise control... which I know can be affected by bad weather, but I hadn't ever seen it before.

So, just curious if anyone has any insight or experiences with when your "nanny systems" have operated or not in bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

it was safety reasons your car shout down your features, because cameras and raders lose relability in bad weather and i think its even written in manuals.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I was driving today in some pretty heavy rain and had the car report that it was shutting down the pedestrian detection feature. I've seen this before in heavy rain, so it was nothing new. However, it also then reported it was shutting down collision warning - never saw this before. A few minutes later, I toggled collision warning on/off on the driver assistance switch panel to see if it would re-engaged. The first time it said it couldn't be activated. The second time it engaged.

I'm pretty sure the pedestrian detection is just camera based, so poor visibility would make sense. However, I thought the collision warning system was based on the radar sensors also used for the active cruise control... which I know can be affected by bad weather, but I hadn't ever seen it before.

So, just curious if anyone has any insight or experiences with when your "nanny systems" have operated or not in bad weather.
Yes, I too have noticed the Collision system going off, but it does so when there is lot of road spray; not necessarily heavy rain. On roads that have better drainage (i.e. less wheel spray) it does not disengage even in heavy rain.

To be honest; in bad weather conditions, I'd rather turn them off anyway and take full control myself...
      05-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Yes, I too have noticed the Collision system going off, but it does so when there is lot of road spray; not necessarily heavy rain. On roads that have better drainage (i.e. less wheel spray) it does not disengage even in heavy rain.

To be honest; in bad weather conditions, I'd rather turn them off anyway and take full control myself...
Yes, this is exactly what I noticed. The rain was far less intense than many previous conditions where the system stayed on, which was the curious part. The road spray was probably worse, though. As it has done in the past, the pedestrian detection turns off first, and this was then followed by the collision warning after another minute or two. I'm guessing the collision warning system has a slightly higher threshold or tolerance being radar based.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I've seen that message before although for me, it was a build up of slush on the sensor. Wipe it off and all ok again,
Appreciate 0