2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dealer says we are too late to order?

04-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 435Xi M-Sport

Dealer says we are too late to order?

As some of you may have seen, my wife and I are trying to do a special order 535xi and our dealer came back today and said that we are too late to order a 2014. The factory says that the special order, M-Sport with a Modern Line interior, is doable BUT it adds 8 weeks to the ordering process which would put production in to July which means that it would technically be a 2015. The problem with that is that none of the 2015 option or color codes have been finalized yet so they can't accept an order for a '15 yet.

We could order a regular Modern Line or M-Sport now and get it by the end of June but we are really wanting this combination. Main concern is that we have no idea if the Modern Line will even be available next year or if the Ivory/Oyster combination will still be around. With the lack of sales on the Modern Line, I'm afraid that they will drop it and we will wait for 2 months for nothing and be back to square one.

We've been through this before with our 4 series in that when we first started looking, the 3 series sedan was available with the Modern Line so we figured that the 4 series would be as well. When it was finally released, we were told that not only would the 4 series not have a Modern Line, they were dropping it on the 3 series as well due to lack of popularity.

The Modern Line is the only way you can get light colored carpet and headliner which is a must for my wife. The Ivory seats are gorgeous but the only way you can currently get that leather in any other model besides the Modern Line is with black carpet, dash, upper and lower door panels and steering wheel.

Is the dealer telling us like it is and if so, should we take a chance and wait to place the order or just bite the bullet and get a Modern Line now and regret not having the M-Sport exterior and suspension?

Bottom line is that my wife, as patient as she is, is starting to get really frustrated. Had we ordered this car when we ordered the 4 series in Jan., we would already be driving it but it looks like we've missed the boat.....again. She's now asking if we should go look at the Jaguar XF instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1 View Post
As some of you may have seen, my wife and I are trying to do a special order 535xi and our dealer came back today and said that we are too late to order a 2014. The factory says that the special order, M-Sport with a Modern Line interior, is doable BUT it adds 8 weeks to the ordering process which would put production in to July which means that it would technically be a 2015. The problem with that is that none of the 2015 option or color codes have been finalized yet so they can't accept an order for a '15 yet.

We could order a regular Modern Line or M-Sport now and get it by the end of June but we are really wanting this combination. Main concern is that we have no idea if the Modern Line will even be available next year or if the Ivory/Oyster combination will still be around. With the lack of sales on the Modern Line, I'm afraid that they will drop it and we will wait for 2 months for nothing and be back to square one.

We've been through this before with our 4 series in that when we first started looking, the 3 series sedan was available with the Modern Line so we figured that the 4 series would be as well. When it was finally released, we were told that not only would the 4 series not have a Modern Line, they were dropping it on the 3 series as well due to lack of popularity.

The Modern Line is the only way you can get light colored carpet and headliner which is a must for my wife. The Ivory seats are gorgeous but the only way you can currently get that leather in any other model besides the Modern Line is with black carpet, dash, upper and lower door panels and steering wheel.

Is the dealer telling us like it is and if so, should we take a chance and wait to place the order or just bite the bullet and get a Modern Line now and regret not having the M-Sport exterior and suspension?

Bottom line is that my wife, as patient as she is, is starting to get really frustrated. Had we ordered this car when we ordered the 4 series in Jan., we would already be driving it but it looks like we've missed the boat.....again. She's now asking if we should go look at the Jaguar XF instead.
Stay away from the Jag in my opinion ... the 5er will be a better car overall.

I would also check around with other dealers .... this dealer may not have any allocations remaining, thereby delaying the production to July. Another high-volume dealer may have more allocations available (5-series in it's LCI for F10 isn't a "hot-seller" where allocations would be sparse).

I think I mentioned this to you before ... going Individual will allow you to do whatever you want to the exterior and interior finishes on the car ... however it is not a quick build, as the standard options are readily available on the production line ... however regardless of BMW dropping the modern line ... the headliner and carpeting can be ordered in any color and finish you could imagine, BMW could manufacturer and up-charge you for ... so anything is possible going Individual.

What kind of options are you spec-ing the car with? Would the dealer be willing to order the non M-sport car to your liking on one of their allocations, and basically keep it as a dealer "on the lot" car should the order guide become available, and indicate the presence of the modern line for 2015, thus allowing you to order a 2015 car to your liking?

I highly doubt that with poor sales the modern line would be kept for 2015, however we will only take past performance and our gut feeling until the details are released.

How much was the up-charge from BMW for doing your M-Sport/Modern Line hybrid order? Worst case scenario ... you buy the Modern Line, and add the M-Sport components. Many members here selling the 351M wheels/tires/tpms sets brand new ... plus the suspension and bumper conversion isn't the worst thing in the world to do ... I would personally prefer my car came from the factory exactly as I wanted it, and not had to have any panels painted/assembled by a body shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 435Xi M-Sport

This dealer is the highest volume dealer in the area and they have said that it is not an allocation issue. We talked about the option of placing an order for a Modern Line now and potentially having it end up in their inventory but the sales mgr was not to keen on the idea.

Upcharge has not been established, but the sales manager was pretty sure that there would be very little if any upcharge for what we wanted. We have spec'd Driver Assist & Assist Plus, Prem Pkg, Multi Contour Seats, Rear Sun Shade, Cold Weather Pkg. and Harmon Kardon stero. Pretty well loaded. MSRP is right at $70k.
Appreciate 0