2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 /11 Turning circle

06-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

F10 /11 Turning circle

Having changed to an F11 from an E61, on which the turning circle wasn't particularly brilliant, I was surprised to find the turning circle on the F11 even worse. Certain multi storey car parks are now completely no go for me. Anybody else find this an issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Chris View Post
Having changed to an F11 from an E61, on which the turning circle wasn't particularly brilliant, I was surprised to find the turning circle on the F11 even worse. Certain multi storey car parks are now completely no go for me. Anybody else find this an issue?
I had a big problem in Cologne last year to get out of one of those car parks, man. So stressful.Pffff.
In Amsterdam centre is one carpark(Central Station) where I damaged(exagerating a bit, let's say chipped) my former right front alloy when I turned a little too short. Damn.

I don't have the rear/side camera option. And they say the 4ws should help, which I don't have either.LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
And they say the 4ws should help, which I don't have either.LOL.
Yes 4WS probably does help. But pot holed roads cause enough problems with the alignment of 'simple' 2 wheeled steering systems so I am not too convinced about the complexity and potential long term unreliability of 4WS.

I find Surround View does help to avoid hitting things - but if you can't make the turn ...........!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Chris View Post
My F10 DOES NOT turn as sharp as my 08 550i did.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

I agree it's a big car to maneuver, but we all had known that before we bought it didn't we? ;-)

Quote:
In Amsterdam centre is one carpark(Central Station) where I damaged(exagerating a bit, let's say chipped) my former right front alloy when I turned a little too short. Damn.
Is that Prins Hendrikkade 20A? ;-) I hit my wheel in the curb there too (No damage just stress).

Quote:
I don't have the rear/side camera option. And they say the 4ws should help, which I don't have either.LOL.
You should have gotten surround view. Top view is a lifesaver.

I have IAS (Integrated Active Steering) it helps with the turning angle a bit (-50 cm).
Appreciate 0