2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Air Conditioning Question

06-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I'll have to give it a try. It's just different than what I'm used to with BMW. In my previous cars, Auto meant that the fan speed would be automatically controlled - the system would decide what speed was required to cool or heat the cabin the optimal temperature. I find it odd that I need to set a fan speed when in Auto mode, as that seems like an integral part of what Auto should be controlling?
In your '07 335, you would have been able to go into idrive and select the intensity of the auto program. There was "soft", "medium" and "intensive" to choose from. This works to accomplish the same thing, it's just displayed where you are used to seeing the fan instead of having to go into idrive.

I like this system because I hate intensely blowing air in my car. I keep mine in the middle in the winter and summer and it cools or heats my car just fine.
      07-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
fightonusc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

2013 535i Climate Controls not Automatic

The way I've experienced climate controls is that it is automatic. You rarely need to manually set any other option aside from increasing or decreasing the fan speed if you are either too cold or hot at the temperature the climate control was set.

I have not found a way for the car to automatically adjust the fan speed based on the temperature set. To give an example. Car parked in the sun on a hot day. Set the temp to 69 degrees on auto. Cold air comes out but only at the speed of the fan speed indicated. It does not blow out full power to cool the cabin first than decrease after the cabin has cooled down.

I feel as though the climate controls are semi auto. Either hot or cold air. Low or high fan. Slight exaggeration but fairly accurate.

I've spoken with the dealership and the genius there. I spoke with a BMW genius today and the customer service department of BMWUSA. No joy.

Zach Crubbs from customer service said that the climate controls seem to be working as designed based on my description of the climate controls. He also said that the auto feature on the BMW does not adjust the fan speeds automatically and that the fan speed needs to be adjusted manually. Should we accept this explanation people? I don't think so.

James.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightonusc View Post
T

I have not found a way for the car to automatically adjust the fan speed based on the temperature set. To give an example. Car parked in the sun on a hot day. Set the temp to 69 degrees on auto. Cold air comes out but only at the speed of the fan speed indicated. It does not blow out full power to cool the cabin first than decrease after the cabin has cooled down.

I've spoken with the dealership and the genius there. I spoke with a BMW genius today and the customer service department of BMWUSA. No joy.

Zach Crubbs from customer service said that the climate controls seem to be working as designed based on my description of the climate controls. He also said that the auto feature on the BMW does not adjust the fan speeds automatically and that the fan speed needs to be adjusted manually. Should we accept this explanation people? I don't think so.

James.
It looks like you're having trouble understanding the very hard to explain "intensity setting" in AUTO mode. It will limit the fan speed. If you have the intensity setting up as high as it will go, the fan will blow full power then drop down as it reaches the set temp. If you have it on a lower intensity auto program, it won't blow as hard and take longer to cool.

good luck
      07-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #26
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

fightonusc, you need to read this whole thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #27
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

It was confusing to me at first too, especially since even in the winter if it's a warm day it can get humid here in TX and I bought it in Jan. I have coworkers with E90/92 models and their setup is definitely different.
But my AUTO feature does full intensity even at the lowest setting/bar when I start it up. Then I just turn up the temp when I want it to slow down. I like the 5-stage/speed feature though as with my car being dark and in the sun all day if I run out to lunch I'll leave the intensity on high and it'll still back off as it cools but keep the air pumping. MAX AC is pretty impressive lol. It's like standing in front of one of those 5 or 6' shop fans!
      08-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightonusc View Post

James.
Assuming you are on full auto and clearly see the AUTO and intensity bar on the display (not off auto and manually adjusting the fan buttons), I don't understand why the fan speed does not adjust automatically on heating/cooling demand.

I run on auto at 20C, the lowest intensity setting, never touch the fan speed buttons at all. My system (2011 build F11 535i wagon) automatically adjusts the fan speed as needed, to cool the car from high ambient temperatures. Say I start with the ambient temperature around 25C, (cabin's obviously a higher temperature), fan starts slow as expected, builds up fan speed after a few seconds, holds the faster setting and then drops back as the cabin temperature is close to 20C setting. We had a mini heat wave just last week, I was surprised how big a range the fan speed has, even at its lowest intensity setting.

Same happens for heating, still set at 20C, fan speeds up when required until the cabin is near to temperature, then the fan speed backs off.

Not too different from previous BMW models I've owned/driven. The F11 is the first BMW I've owned with an intensity setting, which can be selected for the fan speed range we desire.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
But my AUTO feature does full intensity even at the lowest setting/bar when I start it up. Then I just turn up the temp when I want it to slow down.
Can I ask what temperature are you set at, to do that? The lowest temperature available (16C/60F)? If so, it is trying to cool the car, similar to the MAX function.

Run it closer to the temperature you'd normally have in the cabin and it should flex fan speeds as we expect.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:43 PM   #30
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Assuming you are on full auto and clearly see the AUTO and intensity bar on the display (not off auto and manually adjusting the fan buttons), I don't understand why the fan speed does not adjust automatically on heating/cooling demand.

I run on auto at 20C, the lowest intensity setting, never touch the fan speed buttons at all. My system (2011 build F11 535i wagon) automatically adjusts the fan speed as needed, to cool the car from high ambient temperatures. Say I start with the ambient temperature around 25C, (cabin's obviously a higher temperature), fan starts slow as expected, builds up fan speed after a few seconds, holds the faster setting and then drops back as the cabin temperature is close to 20C setting. We had a mini heat wave just last week, I was surprised how big a range the fan speed has, even at its lowest intensity setting.

Same happens for heating, still set at 20C, fan speeds up when required until the cabin is near to temperature, then the fan speed backs off.

Not too different from previous BMW models I've owned/driven. The F11 is the first BMW I've owned with an intensity setting, which can be selected for the fan speed range we desire.

HighlandPete
+1 This is exactly how mine functions. I keep the intensity setting at the middle bar summer and winter and never adjust the temp once set for each season. The only time I adjust the intensity is when I'm on a longer run and want to change the air flow from the vents--sometimes higher and other times lower.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:28 AM   #31
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

mine is always set to 20c and auto speed 3 (middle).
Only time I have used MAX is if I have left the car out in the sun all day, something that don't happen very often.
At home it's in my garage, and most of the time I park inside parking structures when going somewhere.
Appreciate 0