2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Steering software update

08-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Does anyone know if there is a steering software upgrade for a 2013 535i M-Sport? I find it pretty heavy on comfort and would like to know if there's an update to provide more assist?

If anyone has any positive feedback please comment back.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

you're the only person I've read about who thought the steering was too heavy!
I'd prefer it to be heavier personally and this is one of my biggest criticisms of the car. Have you driven an E39 by any chance, if you think the F10 is heavy, be interested in what you think of the E39.

As regards software updates, not aware of any that change the weight as far as I know , pretty sure that all F10s are the same and if there are differences it'll be subtle.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
you're the only person I've read about who thought the steering was too heavy!
I'd prefer it to be heavier personally and this is one of my biggest criticisms of the car. Have you driven an E39 by any chance, if you think the F10 is heavy, be interested in what you think of the E39.

As regards software updates, not aware of any that change the weight as far as I know , pretty sure that all F10s are the same and if there are differences it'll be subtle.
Yes, I actually had a 2002 E39 530i.....The steering in those cars are/where heavy. What I am actually talking about is that it seems like the software programming on my car feels different assistance from going to left than it is to the right. While traveling down a highway, if I steer to the right the car seems to move quicker to the right. When bringing the car back and turning the wheel to the left to me it seems as if it has more resistance and takes a bit longer to move in the direction towards the left. My alignment is fine as the car doesn't pull to the left or right.

Anyone else noticed this on their F10's??

Feedback please.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

ah ok, yeh that doesn't sound right.

so you say its not like that in sport mode (where the steering is a bit heavier)

just to narrow things down as well, try driving in comfort mode and turn DSC completely off. At least on my car the steering has the same weight as sport mode in that configuration.

That would prove its software as opposed to a physical issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
ah ok, yeh that doesn't sound right.

so you say its not like that in sport mode (where the steering is a bit heavier)

just to narrow things down as well, try driving in comfort mode and turn DSC completely off. At least on my car the steering has the same weight as sport mode in that configuration.

That would prove its software as opposed to a physical issue.
I always drive my car in comfort mode to keep the transmission to shift into top gear instead of higher revs on the highway. I have switched it to sport a few times and the steering does not feel any heavier in sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

Thats odd. Mine does , its more apparent at higher speeds though. I wonder if it model specific, ihave a 2012 530d msport ( with SAT)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
Does anyone know if there is a steering software upgrade for a 2013 535i M-Sport? I find it pretty heavy on comfort and would like to know if there's an update to provide more assist?

If anyone has any positive feedback please comment back.

Thanks
I have the same car as you except with X Drive. I got the car new in November '13 and was disappointed with the steering effort after I took delivery. I couldn't believe I hadn't noticed the heavy weight on the short (ish) test drive. When I let go of the steering wheel, it didn't return to centre.

I spoke to the dealer and test drove a 2014 M Sport (X Drive) and the weight was about the same.

My next stop was the service department to find out if I could have the steering weight of the 528 (really over boosted steering by comparison) programmed to my car. It turns out the M Sport package for X Drive isn't just an "appearance package" as described on the website. The steering feel is tuned for greater steering effort. There is nothing the dealer can do about that.

I don't know how many miles your car has, but I discovered that my steering loosened up at around 2,500 miles and I find it weighted perfectly now. When the car was new, I was getting sore forearms from driving it.

As to adjusting weight with sport/comfort modes. In the X Drive there is no difference in steering weight in the different modes. Only shift points and throttle "tip in" area affected by this mode switch.

Steering effort is lighter in the X Drive cars (I suspect non X Drive) when driving a parking lot speeds.

Hope this helps.
      08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
Yes, I actually had a 2002 E39 530i.....The steering in those cars are/where heavy. What I am actually talking about is that it seems like the software programming on my car feels different assistance from going to left than it is to the right. While traveling down a highway, if I steer to the right the car seems to move quicker to the right. When bringing the car back and turning the wheel to the left to me it seems as if it has more resistance and takes a bit longer to move in the direction towards the left. My alignment is fine as the car doesn't pull to the left or right.

Anyone else noticed this on their F10's??

Feedback please.
Not with my car. Steering effort is symmetrical.