2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Car keeps getting worse.. possibly buy back.

12-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: gaggle of BMW's

Car keeps getting worse.. possibly buy back.

I hate to keep making new threads on this car but I think I've purchased a dud and wanted to rant a little.

With all my other issues (car pulling to the right and aligned 4 times) hesitation uphill in high gears (1000-1500rpm), rpm drop at idle (happens all the time) I have experienced a more threatening one this evening.

I drove home from work as usual and parked in the garage. Five minutes later I went back out to grab my backpack and noticed a puff of white smoke coming out of the top of hood towards the windshield and an awful electrical smell. I popped the hood but cannot smell nor find a source. I even had my neighbor come by and check it out and he confirmed it smelled like burning wires. Even as I'm writing this garage still smells but no smoke.

I don't like to jump to conclusions (maybe a plastic back got stuck on the exhaust?) but I've had too many issues with this thing and out of the 4 months or so I've owned it the dealer has had it collectively 3.

I called the sales manager and left a message but I have a feeling this car is going to back to the dealer for good.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Ah that really sucks. I'd maybe disconnect the battery just in case of an electrical short or something of that nature. I hope you can get this fixed up, I went through a tough time with my previous '13 528i.

Keep us posted on the outcome!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

my 2015 535d is in the shop today with just 600 miles on it. Why? It clatters like a semi diesel. The car I test drove didn't have a hint of clatter. Two friends that have '15 535d's (we bought them together) don't have a hint of clatter. My car is good, then it comes on like I'm a dump truck. Sometimes it's right off idol, other times it shows up between 2 and 3 thousand rpm.

The dealer today says they can't hear it, lol.... and asked if I would bring down my friends car for a comparison. If they can't fix it I'm leaving it there and telling corporate I want a new car.

Anyone ever have issues with the BMW diesel?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #4
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

My M550d had issues with hesitating around 1000-1200rpm when adjusting speed.
After extensive troubleshooting under warranty it was found that two injectors was partly covered in sot, so I guess these two cylinders did not have a good enough combustion.

my thread.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018745
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
My M550d had issues with hesitating around 1000-1200rpm when adjusting speed.
After extensive troubleshooting under warranty it was found that two injectors was partly covered in sot, so I guess these two cylinders did not have a good enough combustion.

my thread.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1018745
I've heard a lot of issues with injectors therefore I asked the dealer to look into that. They said the updated versions were put in around 20,000 miles... I find that a little hard to believe but I suppose I have to trust them?

I failed to mention I drove a 2015 550 at a different local dealer over the weekend and it didn't exhibit any of these issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
I've heard a lot of issues with injectors therefore I asked the dealer to look into that. They said the updated versions were put in around 20,000 miles... I find that a little hard to believe but I suppose I have to trust them?

I failed to mention I drove a 2015 550 at a different local dealer over the weekend and it didn't exhibit any of these issues.
I think the biggest problem with diesel owners is that we never push the cars. we are quite happy driving along under 2000rpm because of the massive low end torque.
I did not understand why sports mode wanted me to drive around at 2500rpm, but after having the issue with my car I think we actually need to run these cars hard from time to time to "clean them" after all the EGR valve is sending some of the exhaust back into the intake and if the engine is never pushed there will be buildup of sot in the intakes and injectors.

I now use sport regularly, and do some high rev runs to make sure mine stays clean and trouble free.

for someone with issues, perhaps a injector cleaning additive and/or and intake cleaner combined with some high rev running for some time will make things better.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think the biggest problem with diesel owners is that we never push the cars. we are quite happy driving along under 2000rpm because of the massive low end torque.
I did not understand why sports mode wanted me to drive around at 2500rpm, but after having the issue with my car I think we actually need to run these cars hard from time to time to "clean them" after all the EGR valve is sending some of the exhaust back into the intake and if the engine is never pushed there will be buildup of sot in the intakes and injectors.

I now use sport regularly, and do some high rev runs to make sure mine stays clean and trouble free.

for someone with issues, perhaps a injector cleaning additive and/or and intake cleaner combined with some high rev running for some time will make things better.
The direct injection is a culprit for buildup on the valves. I experienced that on my 335xi. The dealer has looked over the car on four different occasions and have replaced a rear o2 sensor (due to a CEL) and flushed out the VANOS on both sides of the motor.

It's just really a lot of issues for something with 50k on it and when the dealer gives up what do you do?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #8
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46beater View Post
The direct injection is a culprit for buildup on the valves. I experienced that on my 335xi. The dealer has looked over the car on four different occasions and have replaced a rear o2 sensor (due to a CEL) and flushed out the VANOS on both sides of the motor.

It's just really a lot of issues for something with 50k on it and when the dealer gives up what do you do?
If you go back 20 years, injection engines was crude compared to today. Squirt some fuel in, combustion and off you go.
Modern engines are so delicately tuned to get the maximum out of the fuel that it require a squirt if fuel of the right pressure, the right pattern and a spray consisting of droplets at a specific size to get an optimum air fuel mix and combustion. Any buildup will distort the spray, create a less than optimum air fuel mix and that cylinder will not run properly.
Combined with the modern Eco driving running at low rpms saving fuel causes build ups, and once you start getting injector issues it just escalates until the engine is no longer able to run properly.

Basically it's down to improper use, sometimes you have to "drive it like you stole it" so the engine can work hard and clean itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
If you go back 20 years, injection engines was crude compared to today. Squirt some fuel in, combustion and off you go.
Modern engines are so delicately tuned to get the maximum out of the fuel that it require a squirt if fuel of the right pressure, the right pattern and a spray consisting of droplets at a specific size to get an optimum air fuel mix and combustion. Any buildup will distort the spray, create a less than optimum air fuel mix and that cylinder will not run properly.
Combined with the modern Eco driving running at low rpms saving fuel causes build ups, and once you start getting injector issues it just escalates until the engine is no longer able to run properly.

Basically it's down to improper use, sometimes you have to "drive it like you stole it" so the engine can work hard and clean itself.
Interesting points. Is there any recommended intervals(e.g. every 100 miles) to run the engine hard from BMW?

Also is the buildup mainly at the back of the valve, hence does not affect the spray of air+fuel mixture?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 03:42 AM   #10
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Interesting points. Is there any recommended intervals(e.g. every 100 miles) to run the engine hard from BMW?

Also is the buildup mainly at the back of the valve, hence does not affect the spray of air+fuel mixture?
I don't think there is any recommendations from Bmw, but I don't think they intended their car du be driven between 1000 and 2000rpm all the time.

In the manual for my 1990 850i they put in that you from time to time needed to do a minimum 10 minute run above 3000rpm, mostly to clean the catalytic converter I guess. This car runs at 1900rpm at 60mph so you are rarely above 3000rpm in my country.

Yes the buildup is at the back of the valves, but also in the cylinder head, and the injectors sit in the middle. On older engines, like my 850i they sit in the intake runners just before the valve.

What I am saying is, if you have a very Eco friendly driving style, do a lot of short trips, sit stuck in traffic, never uses the upper half of the rev band, this may be why your car is not running right after a while.
I like to do full throttle runs when driving onto a new road, when getting on the motorways, and just chucking it around some twisty country roads.
I have never had issues with my cars not running properly until I got my 5 who obviously has had a previous owner who lived in a big city and drove it very nice.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
///M5Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep

So getting back on track (lol) I called the dealer today to see where we stand. It's being handed over to the general manager and I'm supposed to expect a call back this afternoon.
Appreciate 0