2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Got my new 550i today!!! (First Post)

01-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosman
Hi everyoneÂ…
I went to the dealer this morning to place an order for a 550i but to my happy surprise, they had a car that just arrived over the weekend with very close options and colors to what I was looking for.

Here are the specs:
M-Sport package
Dark Graphite Metallic 2
Oyster/Black Dakota leather
Anthracite wood trim
Convenience package
Luxury seating package
Heated front seats
Head-up-display
iPod and USB adapter
Smartphone integration
BMW apps

I was planning to order an M-Sport with the Titanium Silver Metallic and Oyster/black interior but when I saw the dark graphite color, I was sold. It looked so nice under the sun. Also, I really did not care much for the HUD and the convenience package. I find the HUD distracting a little and constantly reminding me of my speed! Also the soft close doors are kind of freaky but my son loved them! The only thing this car did not have that I miss (I was planning to order) was the steering shifters, top view camera, split rear seats and heated rear seats. It was a compromise but at least I liked the fact that I did not have to wait 6-8 weeks especially that my 2004 545i was starting to fall apart.
Anyway, I am really excited about this car. It is my first new BMW. My 545i was a certified pre-owned.
This forum is a great resource. Thanks for everyoneÂ’s contribution!

Pictures to follow
What you may not realize about the HUD is that even if you never use it, it comes with the full black panel gauges from the 7 series (and 6 and GT) which itself is a massive upgrade. Very jealous here!

Also, I think you can configure your HUD settings to display what you want...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #24
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i G70 & 2020 M8C F91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
What you may not realize about the HUD is that even if you never use it, it comes with the full black panel gauges from the 7 series (and 6 and GT) which itself is a massive upgrade. Very jealous here!

Also, I think you can configure your HUD settings to display what you want...
I am actually starting to like it... I am sure in a few weeks I would say to myself how did I live without it? lol
I went to the iDrive menu for HUD and I made sure everything is checked as what to display.... so far I only see the speed and an occasional message.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave
Very very nice color both interior and exterior.

Agreed, when driving around town I try to use the paddles to downshift, but almost impossible to change gears while turning the steering wheel. It results in going way to fast on first and second gear. Useless.
Just to remember you that you have to break and downshift before turning the wheels!
      01-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #26
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Early Impressions

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments

After having a chance to drive the car for a few days now, here are my impressions so far:

1. The care is fast but still not fast enough for me. I do see an M5 in my future 
2. Handling is much better that the E60… I am most of the time in Comfort+ mode but when I switch to sports mode, the car is a different animal… I am perfectly happy in this department also considering that in Houston most highways and roads are flat and straight.
3. Active seats are great but they always leave me wanting more… I wish BMW took an extra step and implemented a more capable system with message functions…
4. I love the anthracite headliner!!! It makes the cabin feel nice. I also love the red lights on the sides by the doors
5. The extra thick steering wheel is addictive
6. I still don’t like the soft close doors. I probably would like them if they closed let me close the door the normal way and the motors only engage if the door did not close properly
7. Love how the instrument cluster blacks out when the car is off....so sexy!
8. I wish this car had the ceramic controls. I think they would make the cabin look even better. I think BMW should make this a standard feature with the sports package or M package instead of charging $650 extra for it.
9. The seats are very nice and the perforated Dakota feels soft but I do miss the power adjustable side support wedges that my E60 used to have… it looks like BMW is not making them like that anymore.
10. I was reading the manual last night and noticed a section on page 41 talking about how to open the trunk with a special foot movement. Basically the foot is supposed to be placed under the bumper in a certain way and a sensor will automatically unlocks and open the trunk as long as the key is in the pocket. I immediately went out to the garage to test it and wow! So cool!!!!
11. The climate control keeps turning itself on when the car is started... I looked in the iDrive menus to see if this is a configured setting but I did not see anything... humm.. will keep searching
12. This is my first car with a push button to start. When I arrive at my destination, I push the button to shut the car off so the engine turns off but everything else stays lit up and on including the radio.... gotta have a work around for this??? I tried holding the button for a few seconds but that did not help
13. No pulling to the right... I was a little worried about this especially after reading other F10 owners who had this issue.

Now if I just have access to the Autobahn!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Push the button twice with your foot off the brake. It will all shut down.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Love the color combo! Any mods planned?

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #29
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Push the button twice with your foot off the brake. It will all shut down.
Ok, thanks... will try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@StrasseForged View Post
Love the color combo! Any mods planned?
not really.... if I want a mod, then I would be most interested in a performance boost mod... is there something not too expensive that I can do to get more HP out of this engine in the US?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #30
btv764
.:
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M sport

#12, when you exit the vehicle and lock it it will all shut off. I noticed that too, when I left the car and did not lock it the radio stayed on.
      01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #31
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone have a solution for number 11 from the above list? It is bugging me!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #32
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosman View Post
8. I wish this car had the ceramic controls. I think they would make the cabin look even better. I think BMW should make this a standard feature with the sports package or M package instead of charging $650 extra for it.
Agreed, I love my ceramics. Takes away most of the silverized plastic and really upscales the interior in a nice way. I think one of the Canadians said all M-Sports in Canada come with it.

If you really want it, you can order the repair kit of ceramic parts and install it. I think it's in the same ballpark as the option price.

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Love the Graphite with the oyster leather combo it just goes well together, if your car isn't fast enough for you just give Dinan a call and they will take care of that problem for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post

If you really want it, you can order the repair kit of ceramic parts and install it. I think it's in the same ballpark as the option price.
Good to know there is a way! thank for sharing... maybe in a year when I feel like I need to refresh the cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
Love the Graphite with the oyster leather combo it just goes well together, if your car isn't fast enough for you just give Dinan a call and they will take care of that problem for you.
Thanks! planning on it
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #35
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Congrats and Welcome! I'm thinking about ordering the exact same car.

So are you loving it?
      01-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
aosman
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houman21 View Post
Congrats and Welcome! I'm thinking about ordering the exact same car.

So are you loving it?
I am loving it! I get so many complements especially about the color combo. The only negatives are:

1. Finger prints show so easy on the paint. I told my son to close the door with the door handle and to try not touch the body. It gets smudged so easy! my previous car (E60 545i) was grey metallic with grey interior and did not have to wash it much!

2. The interior color is gorgeous but it shows dust quickly especially on the anthracite wood trim.

Despite these negatives, I love the colors inside and out... i think this car is going to need more detailing jobs than the previous one. $$$$
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #37
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
11. The climate control keeps turning itself on when the car is started... I looked in the iDrive menus to see if this is a configured setting but I did not see anything... humm.. will keep searching
Sorry, there doesn't be a way to "fix" this. This annoyance has been mentioned many times in the forums before.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #38
Houman21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothin right now

Quote:
I am loving it! I get so many complements especially about the color combo. The only negatives are:

1. Finger prints show so easy on the paint. I told my son to close the door with the door handle and to try not touch the body. It gets smudged so easy! my previous car (E60 545i) was grey metallic with grey interior and did not have to wash it much!

2. The interior color is gorgeous but it shows dust quickly especially on the anthracite wood trim.

Despite these negatives, I love the colors inside and out... i think this car is going to need more detailing jobs than the previous one. $$$$

Yah... the woes of beautiful dark paint.

Keep us updated on how it drives!