2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tyre Life?

02-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Mixture Rich
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F10 530d SE

Tyre Life?

I have my car (F10 530d) almost 1 year now and I was amazed to be told at the weekend (by a tyre dealer) that I would need to replace all the tyres. He said that the wear indicator is level with the threads on the back tyres and the front tyres have less than 1mm left before they reach the limit also.

The car has only covered 16,000 kms since new. My driving style is conservative (I don't do wheelspins or max output driving), and the bulk of my driving is on motorways with good surface conditions.

The tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 245/45/R18 Run Flat.

Has anybody else had the same poor endurance performance with their tyres?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

That probably sounds right given that those tires only have a treadwear rating of 240. (According to Tire Rack's website) There will probably be some other tire choices you can make that will give you some greater life for the tradeoff of not being a high performance summer tire. At least if anything, it sounds like they all wore down pretty evenly.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
16k miles on new tires, that's ridiculous. You may want to take it to an independent tire shop to double check. I'm not that far behind you and the tires look brand new. However, I have Good Year Excellence, on them and not Dunlops.
      03-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

May be a bit at the low end, but not unexpected. Same for the 3-series cars as well, depends on many factors including road surfaces. Tread compound has to be pretty soft to allow the run-flat to get a bit of grip.

Here's a thread from a UK user.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480569

Tyres need replacing at 12780 miles

Quote:
Hi Im running 275 / 30 /R20 Y rated on all four corners. Just had notice from the dealer that the rear tyres need to be replaced. Down to 2mm on both..
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Pete, I note in the prior thread that you ref'd, you stated "What about ContiSportContact 3? They are getting good reviews and topping many performance tyre tests."

My 520D M Sport saloon, on standard 18" M Sport wheels came with these - UK delivery, October build.

I made a note of the exact markings on the tyres:

Rear:
Continental ContiSportContact 3E SSR 275/40 R18
99Y radial tubeless

Front:
Continental ContiSportContact 3E SSR 245/45 R18
96Y radial tubeless

Out of interest, where did you see the performance test information? If you have a link, would appreciate it.

I have to say, that I am no expert, but my experience of the car and tyres is wholly positive. It provides an excellent blend of sporty, yet quite comfortable on UK roads. Motorway driving especially is smooth and quiet. My prior Audi A4 S Line (new model ... B8) was smooth but quite unforgiving of the road surface - when compared with my F10.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

I have 19" good year run falts... and i hit a pot hole the other week and got a bulge on one of my front tires. Went to good year and got it replaced for about 500 USD.

Long story short... the good year sales rep say not only do they warrent tire defects but they also settle tire wear all the time. So, let's say your good year tires wear out and you need to get them changed, good year will check how long they've been used and will cover a percentage of the price depending on the duration of usage.

He say F10's on 19" with my type of RIMs (W spokes are very heavy) sometimes get 30% of the cost of new tires paid by good year because they seem to wear faster than in other cars.

In general he says there's a known problem with 19" RFT, and an even bigger known problem with 20" . And the company is aware of it and taking care of it through these settlement programs.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Pete, I note in the prior thread that you ref'd, you stated "What about ContiSportContact 3? They are getting good reviews and topping many performance tyre tests."

Out of interest, where did you see the performance test information? If you have a link, would appreciate it.
Here's a good source of the 'link up' of data. Note the list of tyre tests.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

As an example, note the page for the recent performance summer tyre test by UK's AutoExpress.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Also available on the AutoExpress site.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Here's a good source of the 'link up' of data. Note the list of tyre tests.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

As an example, note the page for the recent performance summer tyre test by UK's AutoExpress.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Also available on the AutoExpress site.

HighlandPete

Great - thanks very much for this Pete. Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Mixture Rich
Ireland
Rep

I contacted the dealer and explained my problem and, without even asking, he offered to provide 1 tyre FOC if I purchased 3. Not sure why he did that but dealers are not noted for acts of unsolicited kindness. Of course, now that I am suspicous, I am going to have a tyre shop measure the thread dimensions and provide me with their opinion. I may also go to Dunlop with a complaint.

I really expected to get about 23,000 KMS out of the tyres as I use the car on mostly good surfaces driving in a moderate style.

I had a similar issue with a 2007 520d in that it savaged the tyres. I changed to a 530d in 2008 and I found the more powerful car was much more gentle on the tyres - this doesn't make sense to me.

I am not bitching about replacing tyres, I accept that this has to happen - I am however not happy to receive sub standard product if this in fact what we are dealing with here.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixture Rich View Post
I am not bitching about replacing tyres, I accept that this has to happen - I am however not happy to receive sub standard product if this in fact what we are dealing with here.
What makes them sub standard? I can understand disappointment on the tyre mileage, but how do we define a sub-standard tyre.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
Mixture Rich
Ireland
Rep

HighlandPete
Maybe they are not sub standard - I don't know.
Past experiences with 3 BMW 530d's (2 of which had run flats) led me to expect that the tyres should be good for between 23,000 and 24,000 kms. It is then reasonable to assume that there may (or may not) be a quality issue if the most recent set of tyres yield some 6,000 kms less in distance before needing replacement.

I think it's worth investigating and the worst that can happen is I will be better informed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

same problem

I have a 2011 520d on the Dunlop 245/45 R18 on all for corners. Went to the dealer with 16K KM on on it and they tell me I will get another 2 to 3 k out of the front pair and the back pair need changing now.

This is my second F10 the last one went back with !4K KM on the clock and plenty of thread left. I had the same 328 alloys on that car. Anyone recommend a replacement as it is costing my 100 euro in tires alone for every 1000 Km?

I had a E90 before the f10s and get 20 to 23 k from its tires. The Saab before it did 30k before new rubber. It just sees very low mileage for such ware.

any recommendations welcome?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

You're never going to get the same mileage on runflats when compared to a similar non-runflat tire. The rubber is usually softer on the runflats to compensate for the stiffer sidewall. Mileage will also vary depending on whether you do a lot of highway driving. Highway miles usually give you longer life.

To be honest, I'd be happy getting 25,000 on my 19" LS2's, assuming they don't bubble before hitting that number.
Appreciate 0