2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Matte finished wood trim?

07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
NeoCortex
Private
Rep
Drives: 530xD LCI

Matte finished wood trim?

I'm from Denmark and I'm into Scandinavian minimalistic design - less is more, that kinda thing Some of the dashboard features on the new 5 series is a bit over the top if you ask me. Is it possible to order some of the wood trim without the high gloss "Plastic looking -'wood'" trims inserts?
I like BMW and find their design to be refined and beautiful but there's minor areas that can be better :P I would be really cool to have the 3d drawings and then cnc out custom trim from a nice piece of wood
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If you are into minimalistic design, what the heck are you doing driving a BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you are into minimalistic design, what the heck are you doing driving a BMW

I'm actaully not driving it yet. But after getting children and pressured to find a good family estate, I found the 5 Series Touring to be the best on the market. And it's minimal compared to audi who thinks that it's 'cool' to have gimmick LED xmas tree headlights front and such. With a nice shadow trim some of the cheap glitter is removed and i like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

I actually think BMW does tastefully minimalistic refined design better than about anyone today on the car market, especially on the F10 which is like a case study in that.

I can understand the interior being a little "glammy" to a true minimalist but the way it's executed actually seems fairly "restrained" and minimal in terms of not giving off sensations of "clutter" pretty well.

It's a fine line in the gimmick-heavy "in your face" car market today. BMW had to do something that has that "marketing effect" of "upmarket" which is bold and dazzling features and stated stylishness, however IMO it was done in a restrained and pretty minimal/simplistic/effortless way which is what makes it such a through and through dynamic design winner when judging it from multiple facets.

However I can respect one who finds the wood or something like that "too much". Minimal/simple design is one thing that is constantly revolutionary (always timeless, always fresh).

Thank you Braun for being the one who inspired Apple who then inspired the whole modern world to appreciate tactful simplicity in all aspects of life.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #5
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I actually think BMW does tastefully minimalistic refined design better than about anyone today on the car market, especially on the F10 which is like a case study in that.

I can understand the interior being a little "glammy" to a true minimalist but the way it's executed actually seems fairly "restrained" and minimal in terms of not giving off sensations of "clutter" pretty well.

It's a fine line in the gimmick-heavy "in your face" car market today. BMW had to do something that has that "marketing effect" of "upmarket" which is bold and dazzling features and stated stylishness, however IMO it was done in a restrained and pretty minimal/simplistic/effortless way which is what makes it such a through and through dynamic design winner when judging it from multiple facets.

However I can respect one who finds the wood or something like that "too much". Minimal/simple design is one thing that is constantly revolutionary (always timeless, always fresh).

Thank you Braun for being the one who inspired Apple who then inspired the whole modern world to appreciate tactful simplicity in all aspects of life.

Thank you for the input. I agree with your points totally.
I think the design is very good. It's just some of the glossy things that's getting on my nerves. I don't understand why high gloss wood is considered luxury. It's the same with many luxury yachts. It takes away the tactility and feel of the material.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I too would prefer matte wood. I'm an architect so I can appreciate what you are looking for. The 2014 LCI Modern Line is probably closest to what you are looking for. You may be able to get matte wood trim if you upgraded to BMW Individual, however it is more money.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Another option you could have done is take the trims off and have a bodyshop spray it with matte clear coat. 1. it protects it and 2. it will give you that matte look.

You can also find a good place to have it wrapped in 3M matte clear vinyl. Sorta like the clear bra stuff but the finish is completely matte. Also adds protection to the trim as well as being totally reversible. The thing is find a good installer for this is key.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 07-12-2013 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I too would prefer matte wood. I'm an architect so I can appreciate what you are looking for. The 2014 LCI Modern Line is probably closest to what you are looking for. You may be able to get matte wood trim if you upgraded to BMW Individual, however it is more money.
Good to hear that you know where i'm coming from. I'm also an architect btw
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Another option you could have done is take the trims off and have a bodyshop spray it with matte clear coat. 1. it protects it and 2. it will give you that matte look.

You can also find a good to have it wrapped in 3M matte clear vinyl. Sorta like the clear bra stuff but the finish is completely matte. Also adds protection to the trim as well as being totally reversible. The thing is find a good installer for this is key.

Alan
Hello Alan,
Very good ideas you're coming up with. Thank you. How complicated would it be to remove the trim inserts for further work?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I've never tried it on my F10 but in all previous Bmw's they come off pretty easily.
      07-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

When we coat lacquer onto luxury papers, we find that the brand owners nowadays are looking more and more for a matte finish. However, the gloss lacquers tend to be much harder and offer better rub and abrasion resistance. We do some matte finishes but they are borderline acceptable.
No doubt BMW has the same issues to overcome, hence a tendency towards gloss finished trim...
      07-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
NeoCortex
Private
Rep

I actually just found these nice photos of a BMW concept where the wood trim is exactly like I like it, the same goes for the leather with the nice patina!! WOW
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
dmontg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 550i

That is very nice, especially the wood and leather match.