2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 Manual 535i... Is it even worth ordering

07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
What, no double smiley face to accent the passive-aggressive commentary?
Nah, I am not trying to be passive or aggressive in my last post, just telling it like it is. Do you really think you are the only one who knows the difference between a stick and a automatic as far as shift point control? Lets face it, stick shifts are becoming a thing of the pass in the mid size luxury sedan segment.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You like them or you don't. A MT is more fun to drive for many, me included. I've driven the SAT. Actually had one for a weekend to try out. The automatic simply isn't close to the same sensation or experience. It isn't bad, it is just different. You didn't care for a MT, so you didn't order one. And that's great. But to suggest that there is no reason to be "in tune" with a car like the F10 bespeaks ignorance. With or without your smiley faces included. If you enjoy driving a manual transmission, the version mated to either the 550 or the 535 is a joy to engage and control. IMO.
I concur with you

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Nah, I am not trying to be passive or aggressive in my last post, just telling it like it is. Do you really think you are the only one who knows the difference between a stick and a automatic as far as shift point control? Lets face it, stick shifts are becoming a thing of the pass in the mid size luxury sedan segment.
X logic: I don't like something. The market doesn't support substantial sales of something. This something must suck and therefore no driver should like or enjoy it.

This is not logic, but a conclusory opinion. As I said before, if you don't want a stick, bully for you. Why be so insecure about your choice as to voice criticism of those that do. It would be like me calling you lame for not choosing to shift your car manually. On this and other topics, your thoughts don't seem particularly well formed or useful.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
X logic: I don't like something. The market doesn't support substantial sales of something. This something must suck and therefore no driver should like or enjoy it.

This is not logic, but a conclusory opinion. As I said before, if you don't want a stick, bully for you. Why be so insecure about your choice as to voice criticism of those that do. It would be like me calling you lame for not choosing to shift your car manually. On this and other topics, your thoughts don't seem particularly well formed or useful.
I have read thru most of your post, you basically contribute nothing to this forum, in fact, your posts are detrimental to this community. Almost every thread you chose to post in end up in a disagreement with you and another member. You offer no information and try start trouble, there are names for people like you in public forum, it is call a troll.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

Quote:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I am also one of the “dinosaurs” that still appreciates and only drives manual trans.

While the F10 is more luxurious than any 5 that has come before, I still want the intimacy of being truly involved in the driving process, and hence will continue to only drive stick. Of course my daily commute does not envolve driving but rather a 15 minute walk.

I am about 12 months away from searching out my E39 replacement and the short list of options on my used F10 will include M Sport and Manual trans.

Keep me in mind Bill if you decide to sell next year. The used F10 market does not appear to be to kind to us Dinosaurs. LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I am also one of the “dinosaurs” that still appreciates and only drives manual trans.

While the F10 is more luxurious than any 5 that has come before, I still want the intimacy of being truly involved in the driving process, and hence will continue to only drive stick. Of course my daily commute does not envolve driving but rather a 15 minute walk.

I am about 12 months away from searching out my E39 replacement and the short list of options on my used F10 will include M Sport and Manual trans.

Keep me in mind Bill if you decide to sell next year. The used F10 market does not appear to be to kind to us Dinosaurs. LOL
There are still a few manual diehards out there and most of them are in BMW forums such as this one.

Here is a guy selling his 550i 6 speed:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=706504
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post

I moved from an E39 to an F10 myself. It is certainly an interesting transition with some positives and some negatives. Happy to respond with a pm if you you have questions. Both are certainly nice cars, and the tech on the F10 is superb. But I miss the handling of the E39.

Jurassic Troll Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Jurassic Troll Bill
At least you have a sense of humor about your ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At least you have a sense of humor about your ignorance.
Alas, you have only your ignorance. And personality shortcomings. And grammatical challenges.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #32
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Alas, you have only your ignorance. And personality shortcomings. And grammatical challenges.
Wow, a smiley face, I see some learn how to use an emot. You must be having a good day, but the day is still young, I am sure you will turn back into your troll self as the day go on. As far as grammar is concerned, the last time I check, this is a car forum for men and not some book club for old ladies like yourself. In your own opinion, and only yours, you considering yourself quite an literate extraordinaire and yet in the above post, you started two sentences with a conjunction, it looks like someone need to go back to grammar school. Got to love it when people like you who presents no facts in a debate and try to change the subject and end up with his foot in his mouth.

Last edited by The X Men; 07-03-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
superbuick
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535i

I wouldn't own my F10 if it wasn't available in stick shift. The "character" of the car is what you make it. I personally feel that "sport" and "automatic transmission" are two words that contradict eachother, but that's just my opinion. I also have 12 years of racing experience in vehicles with one gear (karts), sequential gears (karts and open wheelers), and stick shifts (sedans and sports cars), so I'm familiar with how they all work in a truly "sporty" setting - which...by the way...the street is NOT. So on the street I'll go with what lets me enjoy the drive best, and thats a stick shift every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Love love love the manual 5-speed in my 3,200 lb E46 330i, mostly because it adds a great deal to the driving experience (plus the steps of that era were failure prone and slow.)

However, I do absolutely find the manual 6-speed in my 4,065 lb F10 535 really worthless, to be honest, and wouldn't order it with one again. It's time has passed and It adds nothing, 1st gear is annoyingly short tugging this beast, and I get 18.3 mpg stomping around in 3rd gear most of the time. Oh, and since you can't actually hear the damn engine it's hard to rev match and drive it smoothly. Now I didn't buy this car thinking I'd get 28 mpg but 18 is sort of crappy. Plus with idrive it's a race to either keep fiddling with stuff at a stoplight or put it into gear and chugg off. 5 series isn't a sports sedan in the classic sense anymore it's more of a smaller 7 although 550 is a damn good dragster and M5 is another beast altogether.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 07-03-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbuick View Post
I wouldn't own my F10 if it wasn't available in stick shift. The "character" of the car is what you make it. I personally feel that "sport" and "automatic transmission" are two words that contradict eachother, but that's just my opinion. I also have 12 years of racing experience in vehicles with one gear (karts), sequential gears (karts and open wheelers), and stick shifts (sedans and sports cars), so I'm familiar with how they all work in a truly "sporty" setting - which...by the way...the street is NOT. So on the street I'll go with what lets me enjoy the drive best, and thats a stick shift every time.
There are still a few of you guys out there that prefer stick, although there are less and less of you out there. In the old days, there was a lot of reason to buy a stick shift, it was cheaper, gets better gas mileage and it accelerate a bit quicker. I would add that its more fun to drive but not everyone find that to be true. Fast forward to today, almost all of the pass advantages of the manual transmission have disappear thanks to auto transmission technologies. Which leaves only the subjective advantage of being more fun to drive. I enjoy driving a stick as much as the next guy, maybe in a weekend car such as a Porsche 911 stick shift on a windy road, but not in a full size luxury sedan such as the F10 in rush hour traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
All I know is what the Bimmer Tech's said to me, this is a true BMW with 6MT the way it should be. So I would take it that they know what they are talking about.

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #37
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
All I know is what the Bimmer Tech's said to me, this is a true BMW with 6MT the way it should be. So I would take it that they know what they are talking about.
And if they tell you to jump off a bridge..........................
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, a smiley face, I see some learn how to use an emot. You must be having a good day, but the day is still young, I am sure you will turn back into your troll self as the day go on. As far as grammar is concerned, the last time I check, this is a car forum for men and not some book club for old ladies like yourself. In your own opinion, and only yours, you considering yourself quite an literate extraordinaire and yet in the above post, you started two sentences with a conjunction, it looks like someone need to go back to grammar school. Got to love it when people like you who presents no facts in a debate and try to change the subject and end up with his foot in his mouth.
You edit your silly post 3+ times, and this is the best you can do?

Thanks for continuing to prove my point.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You edit your silly post 3+ times, and this is the best you can do?

Thanks for continuing to prove my point.
Trolls like you have no point, only misrepresentation of information. If you have no contribution to this thread, please leave and stop spreading hate. My advice to you is to stop posting before you look like an idiot, opps, too late.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And if they tell you to jump off a bridge..........................
Once again demonstrating that keen, insightful debate rhetoric. Bravo.

You are not a troll; you are a tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Once again demonstrating that keen, insightful debate rhetoric. Bravo.

You are not a troll; you are a tool.
Please spare us your hate, this forum is for information sharing, if you have nothing constructive to add to the topic, please leave this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
viffer
Save the Manuals!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

I have a 535i MSport with 6MT, in the UK. Not a mainstream choice where I live - diesel outsells petrol by a wide margin, and of the few who buy 535is, very few choose manual boxes. My dealer tells me they received multiple phone calls from the production team at the start of the build, assuming I had forgotten to tick the box for the 8AT.

Anyway... FWIW
1) I had an 8SAT loaner for a day before I ordered
2) Have been driving my 6MT for 6 months now
3) Agree that the 8SAT is an excellent piece of engineering, and really suits the car
4) Still glad I bought the manual. Personal preference. It works fine and keeps me awake. There is still satisfaction in a gear shift properly executed. And I like the entirely predicable relationship between revs and power to the road wheels that is denied the driver of a torque convertor box.

I am slightly sad to note that the 6MT will no longer be available on the 535i here in the UK, when the LCI models arrive.

So yes, I am a dinosaur, and clearly out of step with the wider public.
BTW I also prefer my old air-cooled 911 to the new one my dealer lent me for a day, and I think the only thing wrong with my M3 CSL was the SMG box. I am incurable, it seems.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if you have nothing constructive to add to the topic, please leave this forum.
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

viffer, I am surprise to read that BMW is discontinuing the 535i manual in the UK. Stick shift is a lot more popular in Europe than it is here in the US, maybe it is due to the better gas mileage. However, the BMW ZF 8 speed transmission is incredibly efficient. The auto transmission 535i actually gets 4 MPG better than its manual counterpart. With that said, I am glad you are enjoying your manual 535i, as BMW seems to be one of last hold out to offer a stick shift in the mid size sedan segment, but the end is near.
Appreciate 0