2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Fuel Pumps Replaced Under N63 CCP Recall?

05-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Fuel Pumps Replaced Under N63 CCP Recall?

Is it true that fuel pumps are now being replaced under the N63 CCP recall for vehicles still experiencing problems after N63 CCP recall completion?

I had the N63 CCP recall completed, but still feel low-end misfires that aren't throwing faults.

Someone also mentioned that their misfires are felt in Comfort Mode, but not Sport Mode, which I think may be my case as well.

Any insight would be appreciated, and text from a service information bulletin would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited by dbs600; 05-27-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Yes, my fuel pump just went out after I already had my CCP a couple months ago. It was rough in Normal and Comfort mode. I had to drive in Sport. It smoothed out but still pretty lumpy. Felt like I had a truck diesel engine in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Yes, my fuel pump just went out after I already had my CCP a couple months ago. It was rough in Normal and Comfort mode. I had to drive in Sport. It smoothed out but still pretty lumpy. Felt like I had a truck diesel engine in there.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Did they replace your fuel pump? Was your car out of warranty?

If out of warranty, was the work completed under the N63 CCP recall?

How long after the initial work did your car begin to experience symptoms?

Any faults thrown?

If you can post your repair invoice, removing your info, it'd be great.

How does it drive now?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm under warranty and they replaced it. I haven't picked up my car yet cause I'm still at work. I'll post it later if I have time.

For months, my car had rare random hesitation in low RPMs but it was like once every other day so it didn't affect me enough to take it to the dealer. It didn't throw any code either. But yesterday, I was driving to work and "drivetrain malfunction" lit up my screen. The engine felt like a truck diesel motor and I was limping my lumpy sedan all the way to the dealer. He called today saying it was the fuel pump and it's ready for me to pick up.

I'm driving a 328xi and I hate it But I have to say it's way better than the X1 they used to give me as loaners.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Got it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep

Here you go. It said replaced under recall.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Interesting...

My car's out of warranty, and I've been monitoring the threads that are starting to pop up related to concerns about high pressure fuel pumps and the N63 CCP. I emailed my service advisor last week and asked about a pending "recall" for the hpfp, and was told there are no open campaigns associated with my VIN (production date: Nov. 2010).

And yet, 493263's work order identifies the problem being corrected "under recall." Unlike the sweeping coverage of the CCP, maybe this developing concern is specific to a smaller segment of vehicles and/or build dates?

If anyone has access to the specific SIB related to the issues with our fuel pumps, and can post it for reference, that would be awesome and extremely beneficial to our forum members.
      05-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
kondor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M Sport

I had the CCP completed and then my fuel pump blew up. They replace it under warranty but now my car has that hesitation a jerky feeling in normal and comfort at low RPM's.
It's odd because the car will be in 7th gear running 1K RPM's going 40 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Interesting...

My car's out of warranty, and I've been monitoring the threads that are starting to pop up related to concerns about high pressure fuel pumps and the N63 CCP. I emailed my service advisor last week and asked about a pending "recall" for the hpfp, and was told there are no open campaigns associated with my VIN (production date: Nov. 2010).

And yet, 493263's work order identifies the problem being corrected "under recall." Unlike the sweeping coverage of the CCP, maybe this developing concern is specific to a smaller segment of vehicles and/or build dates?

If anyone has access to the specific SIB related to the issues with our fuel pumps, and can post it for reference, that would be awesome and extremely beneficial to our forum members.
I know this is confusing but it's not an official recall. However, it is a service bulletin. If you got a good service dept at the local dealer, they'll be proactive about it and honor the "recall". The tech at BMW of Fairfax always call it a recall.

What BMW does is trying to avoid a forced recall by the NHTSA. They pushed out the N63 CCP campaign to get our vehicles fixed so there are less complaints. They are literally doing a workaround to avoid bad image and tank their reliability ratings.

BTW, somebody already posted the official SIB number and all stated work under it in that long thread.

Sorry, I'm a business major so I always see the BS that's happening instead of believing in PR spins.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
I know this is confusing but it's not an official recall. However, it is a service bulletin. If you got a good service dept at the local dealer, they'll be proactive about it and honor the "recall". The tech at BMW of Fairfax always call it a recall.

What BMW does is trying to avoid a forced recall by the NHTSA. They pushed out the N63 CCP campaign to get our vehicles fixed so there are less complaints. They are literally doing a workaround to avoid bad image and tank their reliability ratings.

BTW, somebody already posted the official SIB number and all stated work under it in that long thread.

Sorry, I'm a business major so I always see the BS that's happening instead of believing in PR spins.
I agree that the Mothership does appear to have slipped on a pair of dancing shoes, and is doing its best to bust out a series of James Brown moves on the dance floor (re: the PR spin with the "recall" vs. "customer care package" nomenclature). In the end, however, I have to give them credit for at least stepping up and being proactive about the issues surfacing with the N63 design. I've had a fair amount of work done to my engine (including a battery upgrade) on their dime under the CCP, which is nice. Yet, at the same time, unsettling regarding what the future holds for a car that I plan on keeping (and modding) for several more years.

Finally, regarding my inquiry about the SIB quoted on your work order, it appears to be different than the one(s) associated with the CCP. I'm curious if the SIB on your invoice is related to, part of, or completely separate from the CCP SIB's.

05-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondor
I had the CCP completed and then my fuel pump blew up. They replace it under warranty but now my car has that hesitation a jerky feeling in normal and comfort at low RPM's.
It's odd because the car will be in 7th gear running 1K RPM's going 40 MPH.
So after they replaced your fuel pump you are still having issues with in the lower rpms? Was it doing this before they replaced the pumps?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
kondor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
So after they replaced your fuel pump you are still having issues with in the lower rpms? Was it doing this before they replaced the pumps?
Didn't have the problem prior to the fuel pump issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #14
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thanks everyone!

Can someone please provide the SIB number for the fuel pump issue, which I believe is different from that for the CPP, right?

Thanks again. :|
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
GABMAN
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535XI Med. Blue

I had my fuel pump go on me while doing 140 KM/PH on the New York State thruway , the car lost all power, good thing there were no cars in the right hand lane, I was able to coast to the shoulder. This was on a Sunday two summers ago , I was on my way back to Montreal from NYC and we were 4 people in my car and it was over 100 degrees out . I called BMW ASSIST who were useless, they wanted to send me a tow truck but the truck could only hold 2 people and I was around 70 or 80 miles from Albany NY, I asked BMW Assist what I should do with the other 2 people travelling with me and got no answer.

I landed up calling my Auto Club (CAA) they had a tow truck out to me in 30 minutes , I was in the middle of nowhere. The Towing had a back seat so we all get in, the driver tells us he needs to gas up so pulls off the thruway in a small town , takes us to a store so we can all rehydrate ourselves and off we go to Albany. This was on a Sunday so the dealer in Albany was closed , we drop the car off and the towing guy took us all the way to Albany Airport so we can rent a car and get back to Montreal. BTW BMW Assist would not even take care of arranging a rental for me , had to do it on my own .

Anyways we get back to Montreal and I call my local dealer, they were amazing, they contacted the dealer in Albany , it took about 1 week for them to figure out the problem and get the part. My dealer made arrangements with BMW Roadside Assistance to arrange for a local Montreal towing company to pick up my rental, return it to Albany Airport, then go and get my repaired 535XI from the dealer in Albany and return it to my dealer in Montreal.

I then filed a claim with BMW Roadside Assistance for the towing to Albany and the cost of my rental, they paid me back every cent.

Although BMW Assist were useless on the day my car broke down , both my dealer and BMW Roadside assistance more than made up for things in the way they handled things once I got back to Montreal . I thought for sure I was going to have to drive back to Albany to return the rental and pick up my car .

And by the way , the original tow truck driver that took care of us on that scorching Sunday received a $ 100.00 tip from us as he went way beyond the call of duty in taking care of us and then spending 45 minutes getting us to the airport so we could get a car.

I have had no issues with my car since the fuel pump was replaced.
2012 535XI White/Black, MSport, RETIRED
2011 535I, GraphGrey/Oyster, RETIRED

Last edited by GABMAN; 05-29-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #16
eplace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

So two weeks after I completed the n63 maintenance service, I started my car one morning and fuel kept flushing out underneath my car. The moment I turned it off, fuel stopped coming out. Had the car towed back to dealer and they reported back a faulty fuel pump. They replaced it and car was running fine since. Although I noticed a slight chattering (shaking) when the car is stopped with the engine running, this was a problem I noticed before having the maintenance package done, and dealer told me replacing the injectors would fix it, but unfortunately it didnt...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplace View Post
So two weeks after I completed the n63 maintenance service, I started my car one morning and fuel kept flushing out underneath my car. The moment I turned it off, fuel stopped coming out. Had the car towed back to dealer and they reported back a faulty fuel pump. They replaced it and car was running fine since. Although I noticed a slight chattering (shaking) when the car is stopped with the engine running, this was a problem I noticed before having the maintenance package done, and dealer told me replacing the injectors would fix it, but unfortunately it didnt...
Hey just so you know, I would not keep driving if the car can't idle smoothly. If the problem is a fuel or spark problem, you are looking at replacing at least the engine heads. The warranty may/may not cover it because they can claim it is your negligence.

Keep bringing it in and complain about it. As long as you can reproduce the rough idle, they have to fix it. It took them 4 tries to fix the burning oil smell for me. Ended up changing turbos, fuel lines, filters, gaskets, etc... They pretty much couldn't figure it out so they changed everything that could cause it. Now it's gone lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
eplace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Hey just so you know, I would not keep driving if the car can't idle smoothly. If the problem is a fuel or spark problem, you are looking at replacing at least the engine heads. The warranty may/may not cover it because they can claim it is your negligence.

Keep bringing it in and complain about it. As long as you can reproduce the rough idle, they have to fix it. It took them 4 tries to fix the burning oil smell for me. Ended up changing turbos, fuel lines, filters, gaskets, etc... They pretty much couldn't figure it out so they changed everything that could cause it. Now it's gone lol.
Good to know! Sure will do keep an eye on it, since it's intermittent. And will definitely consider taking it in and hopefully they could repeat it without many visits... Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #19
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Update: I've been informed that there's now a Service Information Bulletin for this, SIB 13-02-15, but I just contacted my dealer and they stated there's no recalls for my VIN. Any idea how I go about getting a copy of the SIB? Why does this have to be so difficult. :|
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 03:15 AM   #20
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Any updates fellas ?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #21
rd62
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport

I just had both of my high pressure fuel pumps replaced under recall. I took my 550 in for its 50k mile service and mentioned to my SA I'd heard there was a recall and they replaced both.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #22
MrBusiness
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i M Sport 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
I just had both of my high pressure fuel pumps replaced under recall. I took my 550 in for its 50k mile service and mentioned to my SA I'd heard there was a recall and they replaced both.
Ditto - Took my car in for the 35K service - new recall for both fuel pumps. (2011 550)
Appreciate 0