2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Replace your AC/Heating Blower Fan... Easy Job!

09-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #23
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
is it still holding up?

I've been using electrostatic filter cotton for 18 months and now it's getting super dirty, no sign of blower overworking (loud noise). But I'm overthinking should I replace it?
Not sure if you are specifically asking me about my "scotch-brite" solution I posted, but after two years, always parked outside, and under a tree 24/7.

I used an endoscope to take a picture of the filter which the filter is pretty much the whole right side of the picture and as you can see there are plenty of small leaves around the fan intake....and I have no trouble at all...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-08-2023, 12:13 PM   #24
Conserve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1976 BMW 2002 & 2015 BMW535i

I replaced mine couple weeks ago. For 54 bucks I decided to go with a new one. The new one has white color screen mesh on it. Not sure if this one will last more than 8 years. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 08:43 PM   #25
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
Just did my blower motor and regular! I also got the new cover with the white foam.

I was having issues with a noisy blower, intermittent fan speed variations, occasionally shutting off completely.

The parts were all original and the foam was compeltely disintegrated. It now runs when I ask it to, and is much quieter too!

The original parts had 175,000 miles and 8 years of run time. I’m happy with the longevity of the original parts. Hope the new parts last as long!
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2023, 03:50 PM   #26
bmwabc
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520D

Hi everyone, ive a problem with blower not working too. Ive replaced both the fsu and blower but still nothing. Ive 12v on the wire on the wires in tge motor. The flapa that controls to were the air goes does not move either. Ive new battery and coded
Using bimmerlink ive got this error 801209- Lin bus supple; short ciruit to the ground. I got an error with BSI but i dont think this can cause this.
Can some help me please? Apreciat all help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #27
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwabc View Post
....Ive replaced both the fsu and blower but still nothing. Ive 12v on the wire on the wires in tge motor. The flapa that controls to were the air goes does not move either. I've new battery and coded
Using bimmerlink I've got this error 801209- Lin bus supply; short circuit to the ground. I got an error with BSI but i don't think this can cause this.
Can some help me please? Appreciate all help
The LIN bus is your issue and needs to be fixed. The last item in the LIN bus addressing that does NOT work, will cause all all LIN devices downstream to not work. The cabin fan is the last on the LIN bus.

Typically you'd run ISTA's stratification test plan, which would let you know which LIN slave is the problem, but in your case, it may the LIN master that is the issue. The LIN master is the HVAC controller. You have a few options:

1. Reseat the connector on the back the HVAC controller (blue connector?)
2. Replace the HVAC controller with a used one from eBay

Before you do item 2 above, you should do a continuity check on the LIN bus wires power line, A95*1B, Pin 1. If this is shorted to chassis ground in your HVAC controller, or this wire is shorted to the frame of the dashboard, either will cause your error.

Let us know how it works out!
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2023, 07:10 AM   #28
bmwabc
Rep

First of all thanks for your answer.
Ive aldready disconnected e connected again both plugs on the hvac controller. I dont know if its coincidence or not but maybe almost a year ago the hvac fuse died and i replaced fuse and worked without any problem. If i replace the hvac controller do i need to code it?
By the way sorry for dumb question how can i check the continuity in the lin power? I know i need a multimeter but i dont know wich wires are. I dont understand much of this but ive fixed lots of stuff in the car using forums and yt. Sorry bad inglish too
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 09:07 PM   #29
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

bmwabc...hard to tell from your original post, but did you replace the blower output stage (aka blower resistor, blower regulator, etc)?

Probably a PITA, but if you unplug the harness from the blower output stage, do some of your LIN bus errors go away?
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2023, 04:40 AM   #30
bmwabc
Rep

I replaced both things and thats why im a bit confused why it just wont work and its make me ver upset because cant drive in the winter without blower for the windshield
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 04:26 PM   #31
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I replaced both things and thats why im a bit confused why it just wont work and its make me ver upset because cant drive in the winter without blower for the windshield
Did you go back into the blower area and ensure that you connected everything correctly? It's sort of free to do this now....else your future options will only require money.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #32
bmwabc
Rep

I dis that twice. But im gonna try check the LIN lines if i get time this weekend
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 05:03 PM   #33
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I dis that twice. But im gonna try check the LIN lines if i get time this weekend
The odd part about this, is that there are two lines for the LIN bus for the HVAC system on the F10, the LIN Bus Power line, which is shared only by the stratification motors and temp sensors, but not the blower, and then there is the LIN Comms line that is shared by all.....and you are getting a LIN Bus power error and your blower is not functioning.

This would elude to a stratification flap and/or temp sensor has "failed" on the LIN BUS, and function before the Blower, resulting in the blower not functioning as it is the last component on the LIN Bus. This is all dependent on your upstream module configuration from the blower (I don't know what HVAC system you have, basic, 2.5 or high)

Remember, any module downstream from a failed unit on the LIN bus will stop working.

ISTA would be a great tool to help you not run down the wrong rabbit hole, since there is a test plan (test procedure) that allows you to test every item on the HVAC LIN bus.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #34
bmwabc
Rep

Ive ista. Can you tell me how i do test plan on LIN?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 06:40 AM   #35
bmwabc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
The LIN bus is your issue and needs to be fixed. The last item in the LIN bus addressing that does NOT work, will cause all all LIN devices downstream to not work. The cabin fan is the last on the LIN bus.

Typically you'd run ISTA's stratification test plan, which would let you know which LIN slave is the problem, but in your case, it may the LIN master that is the issue. The LIN master is the HVAC controller. You have a few options:

1. Reseat the connector on the back the HVAC controller (blue connector?)
2. Replace the HVAC controller with a used one from eBay

Before you do item 2 above, you should do a continuity check on the LIN bus wires power line, A95*1B, Pin 1. If this is shorted to chassis ground in your HVAC controller, or this wire is shorted to the frame of the dashboard, either will cause your error.

Let us know how it works out!
I there, ive tested the A95*1B and its getting 4 volts. Is it normal?

I did find a way to test the components on inpa but only the ihka is getting results for exemple if i press any key or something. If i try to do a blower test or flap test it just wont respond to any input
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #36
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I there, ive tested the A95*1B and its getting 4 volts. Is it normal?

I did find a way to test the components on inpa but only the ihka is getting results for exemple if i press any key or something. If i try to do a blower test or flap test it just wont respond to any input
BMW LIN Voltage should be 12V.....

Something is pulling it down, or the controller source is at fault. If you unplug the wiring harness, what is the LIN voltage value? If it returns to 12V, then you have a LIN slave that is shorted. If it remains at 4V, then the controller is faulty.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #37
bmwabc
Rep

I tested with without the controller connected. I used the multimeter diretly in the LIN wires that is in the blue plug
Appreciate 0