2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dropped Valet Keys! Help!

10-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
shardul2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Dropped Valet Keys! Help!

Guys, I need some help here! Hopefully some one has had this happen before!

Last night, I was at a restaurant with my wife and we put the car in valet, taking the metal key out of the key fob and locking the trunk with it. My wife didn't want to take her purse with her (which had the other key fob in it), so we put it in the trunk, locked the trunk from the center console, locked the console, and took the metal key with us.

Upon returning from dinner, while I was driving home, the metal key fell in between the driver's seat and the center console, and I told my self I would remove it from there when I got home.

Unfortunately, I can't actually get to that key! There are plastic pieces that surround the bottom of the seat that make it near impossible to get under the seat. I've tried everything including moving the mat, reclining the seat, and moving the seat back and forth! I looked with the flashlight and I cannot actually see the key down there, but I know it's there.

So now, Ive got the trunk locked, and no metal key to unlock it. I was hoping someone here has successfully removed those plastic pieces or found an easier way to get under the seat!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardul2000 View Post
Guys, I need some help here! Hopefully some one has had this happen before!

Last night, I was at a restaurant with my wife and we put the car in valet, taking the metal key out of the key fob and locking the trunk with it. My wife didn't want to take her purse with her (which had the other key fob in it), so we put it in the trunk, locked the trunk from the center console, locked the console, and took the metal key with us.

Upon returning from dinner, while I was driving home, the metal key fell in between the driver's seat and the center console, and I told my self I would remove it from there when I got home.

Unfortunately, I can't actually get to that key! There are plastic pieces that surround the bottom of the seat that make it near impossible to get under the seat. I've tried everything including moving the mat, reclining the seat, and moving the seat back and forth! I looked with the flashlight and I cannot actually see the key down there, but I know it's there.

So now, Ive got the trunk locked, and no metal key to unlock it. I was hoping someone here has successfully removed those plastic pieces or found an easier way to get under the seat!
I would take it to the dealer. sorry if that wasn't what you want to hear. But that's the safest thing to do and they can probably get it out in matter of minutes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
you need to raise the seat to it's highest position. Once that is complete, you will see a gap between the bottom plastic piece of the seat and a maze of wires and switches down there. Take a flashlight and try and see if you can locate the key.
      10-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
inny
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F10

Garage List
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
1995 BMW E34  [0.00]
2007 BMW E60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
you need to raise the seat to it's highest position. Once that is complete, you will see a gap between the bottom plastic piece of the seat and a maze of wires and switches down there. Take a flashlight and try and see if you can locate the key.
Maybe a strong magnet can help you too.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by inny View Post
Maybe a strong magnet can help you too.
Key is non-magnetic, 'gatoman's' suggestion is the best.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I thought I'd lost my key during my Euro Delivery. When the car got to my dealer, my sales guy figured out that the key was in the car. (I was routinely able to lock it after the first key disappeared, so I hadn't even considered that it might still be in the car.)

Anyway, after he and I looked everywhere, I moved the driver's seat all the way forward, tilted the front down and the back up, and was able to fish around under the seat and retrieve the key. (Note: take off rings and watch!)
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
shardul2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Thanks Guys! I was able to get it out without taking it to the dealer
Appreciate 0