2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Can I turn off "Driver Assistance Package" stuff?

04-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Can I turn off "Driver Assistance Package" stuff?

I'm looking at an early 2011 535i. It has the Driver Assistance Package and I'm personally not a fan of helpful nannies. Do the automatic high beams, lane departure warning, active blind spot detection, and parking assistant work well? If not, can I get into I-drive and just turn them off?

I think I'd prefer to decide for myself when the high beams are on, or if I intend to depart a lane, without warning chimes or vibrations.

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell
I'm looking at an early 2011 535i. It has the Driver Assistance Package and I'm personally not a fan of helpful nannies. Do the automatic high beams, lane departure warning, active blind spot detection, and parking assistant work well? If not, can I get into I-drive and just turn them off?

I think I'd prefer to decide for myself when the high beams are on, or if I intend to depart a lane, without warning chimes or vibrations.

Thanks,

Greg
Yes, you can turn them off.

But, I have been using them for the past six years. I can tell you that they prevented at least two accidents.

Over time, they become a sixth sense. You will glance at the triangles in the mirror before shifting lanes.

But, some people are better drivers. So, you may be fine without them.

When I drive a car without the nannies, I feel like an idiot.

It starts when I fail to shut the door tightly and then it goes downhill from there.

Does anyone else feel strange getting in a non BMW car?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

I dont feel comfortable depending on electronic stuff too much, especially the blind spot thing...what if one day it doesn't work.....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you! I can go either way. I drove my '66 Mercury Cyclone GT to work today... big block V8 and 4 on the floor... not a nanny in sight! On the other hand, I do enjoy the technology like NAV and the "comfort access" in my '11 Lincoln MKS and '14 Ford Fiesta ST... to the point that when I sit in my wife's non-comfort access '08 535 I wonder why it won't start when the key is in my pocket!

I hope I like the features, but as long as I can defeat them I know I won't dislike them.

(The Fiesta locks the doors once you hit 8 mph. In my happy suburban life that often involves shuttling school age children, this drives me nuts as I often lock children out of the car or the oldest can't get his trombone out of the back because the tailgate locks as we drive down our driveway. It can't be defeated on my version and it's taught me that not all tech features fit all drivers.)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

They all have buttons on the dash or console for you to set whether they're on or off. Not certain about the automatic high beams - the regular automatic lights (whether they go on automatically at dark) is on the light knob. Blind spot and lane departure have buttons on dash to the left of the steering wheel. Parking assist is probably a button by the shifter where PDC/cameras are.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

High beam assist is a button on the indicator stalk and is off in it's default setting
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonle89 View Post
I dont feel comfortable depending on electronic stuff too much, especially the blind spot thing...what if one day it doesn't work.....
well with blind spot radar (lane change warning) just because you have it turned on doesn't mean you have to DEPEND ON IT. look in the mirror and over your shoulder as well (like you might without it). but if the triangle is lit then the car has detected something. and it's better than the volvo system which just detects a vehicle next to you. The bmw system is smart enough to know that if you're overtaking somebody at a reasonable speed then the triangle on that side doesn't light (since they will be behind far enough should you decide to change lanes).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

I use blind spot mirror and that works for me
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hope to try them all... just wanted to make sure I could turn them off if they didn't suit me. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I leave them all enabled except for lane departure warning - I found it has too many false positives and becomes annoying off of the highway.

That said, the other features are enormously useful - blind spot detection especially.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:21 AM   #11
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

You can get the car coded and turn it off with the new update. Depends on the year of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #12
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

You can get the car coded and turn it off with the new update. Depends on the year of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post

Thanks,

Greg
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
riku2
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
lane departure warning - I found it has too many false positives and becomes annoying off of the highway.
You could adjust the threshold (70km/h in my car) so that it only comes on when you're at higher speeds. There is a coding setting for this.

I find it gives false positives if the road has been wet and has partly dried out directly under where vehicles drive. The difference in wet/dry road surface then confuses it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #14
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I swear I'm not) , what happen to just driving our cars and paying attention to things around us. Not at all saying all technology and features are bad (of course I love traction, stability, adaptive lights, ABS, DHP...etc..), just not to keen on what I consider "gimmicky" features - yes I know they are meant to make us all safer, still.

I personally didn't like line departure and found blind spot detection to be quite annoying. I also know one too many software designers and just based on that, would like to be able to check my own oil from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (I swear I'm not) , what happen to just driving our cars and paying attention to things around us. Not at all saying all technology and features are bad (of course I love traction, stability, adaptive lights, ABS, DHP...etc..), just not to keen on what I consider "gimmicky" features - yes I know they are meant to make us all safer, still.

I personally didn't like line departure and found blind spot detection to be quite annoying. I also know one too many software designers and just based on that, would like to be able to check my own oil from time to time.
I think the idea is to continue driving like you normally would - but these systems just provide that insurance for when you have a "senior moment" and the inevitable human error occurs. I think I'm a pretty good driver, but I still acknowledge I'm only human. I like the idea of having "backup" for my own senses. I'm sure you've almost cut someone off (or did) because you missed them in your blind spot. We all have at some point. And sometimes those turn into deadly accidents. So why not have your car check it for you? If you miss something only once in 100,000 lane changes, it's still worth the price if it could save your life.

My wife's Q5 doesn't have this feature (probably an option pack we left off or wasn't offered at the time), and I'll admit it feels a bit "naked" when I'm driving it now. With a toddler making a lot of noise and distractions from the back seat, conversation going on in the front, radio on, etc, it does leave a solid potential for error - I'm definitely going to make sure I get these features on whatever car she drives next. A bit more peace of mind.
Appreciate 0