2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Odd sounds from engine area?

08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Fishdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

Odd sounds from engine area?

Hi All,

I'm a new member, but not new to the forums. I've looked around but can't seem to find anything about this particular sound/problem. Any help you can provide would be great! Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 535xi. After a night of sitting in the garage, when I go out to put the kids in the back seat, and I close the door on the passenger side (either front or rear), I hear a rattle. It sounds like a loose heat shield, sort of a metal on metal sound. It also sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, under the engine or thereabout. Right after the rattle, I hear a faint hydraulic noise. When I open and close the door again, there is no rattle.

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the central locking, but I can't easily recreate it. It does happen each morning after the car's been sitting for a while. It also appears to be related to when I open the door with the fob in my pocket, and the central locking mechanism actuates, even though the locks are already unlocked.

I will try to open/close the door tomorrow morning without the fob in proximity to the door/vehicle and see what happens.

I've read posts here about how the 535's have various automatic mechanisms that engage at various times. I don't know if it could be one of those (e.g., climate system, turbo, water pump, ECU fan). But it doesn't seem like it would be related to those.

I would rather not take it to a dealer as a matter of principle.

Thanks,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Fishdog
Registered
Rep

So I recorded the sounds this morning.

Here is a video where I don't have the key fob on me when I open the door. At 0:10, you can hear a rattle or other mechanical sound when I open the door. If you turn up your volume high, you can also hear the sound of a hydraulic line pressurizing? (fuel pump?, auto leveling suspension?).

The second video is right afterward when I have the key fob on me. When I close the door at 0:07, you can hear the rattle/mechanical sound. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

Please excuse the 2-year old talking about breakfast and wondering what I'm doing.

Any help identifying the sounds would be great - I don't know if it's something normal or if it's something I should take to an SA.

Thanks!

Last edited by Fishdog; 08-16-2013 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Catfish454
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i x-Drive M-Sport

I believe it is the fuel pump, and mine makes the same sound…as well as a few other non-identiable noises. I never did hear the rattle you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Bloody hell... you're in an enclosed area where the slightest noise will be amplified. IMHO you are worrying over nothing, modern cars have all sorts of start up and shut down noises. I'm sorry if this offends, but I really can't believe you spent time even thinking about this never mind videos and posts about it!? Its hardly perceptible on the video. Go enjoy the car, stop worrying.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdog View Post
So I recorded the sounds this morning.

Here is a video where I don't have the key fob on me when I open the door. At 0:10, you can hear a rattle or other mechanical sound when I open the door. If you turn up your volume high, you can also hear the sound of a hydraulic line pressurizing? (fuel pump?, auto leveling suspension?).

The second video is right afterward when I have the key fob on me. When I close the door at 0:07, you can hear the rattle/mechanical sound. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

Please excuse the 2-year old talking about breakfast and wondering what I'm doing.

Any help identifying the sounds would be great - I don't know if it's something normal or if it's something I should take to an SA.

Thanks!
get rid of the kid.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Fishdog
Registered
Rep

I've narrowed it down to some relays or switches clicking. I can reproduce the noise when I lock and then unlock the doors with the key fob and wait for approximately 30 seconds after unlocking. Then a relay/switch sound comes from right in the middle of the engine bay, behind the engine. I was doing it repeatedly with the hood up.

For some reason the relays actuate when the passenger doors close (either front or back) but not when the drivers side doors close. Odd.

I'll let it go.
      08-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdog View Post
I've narrowed it down to some relays or switches clicking. I can reproduce the noise when I lock and then unlock the doors with the key fob and wait for approximately 30 seconds after unlocking. Then a relay/switch sound comes from right in the middle of the engine bay, behind the engine. I was doing it repeatedly with the hood up.

For some reason the relays actuate when the passenger doors close (either front or back) but not when the drivers side doors close. Odd.

I'll let it go.
We get all kinds of activity these days, as our cars 'wake up' or go into sleep mode.

My last BMW and the current F11 535i make all sorts of sounds once unlocked and you open doors. Totally normal.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #8
dewana421
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We get all kinds of activity these days, as our cars 'wake up' or go into sleep mode.

My last BMW and the current F11 535i make all sorts of sounds once unlocked and you open doors. Totally normal.

HighlandPete
Guys I'm experiencing a similar sound.
I uploaded it on YouTube and as a sound only.
I posted this concern on another form and some people scared me and only one person said they get it also. Not sure what is this sound.
Please help.

WHAT IS THIS NOISE FROM N55

Sound only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdZ...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #9
thegazelle85
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i, 2011 535i

I just bought a 2011 535i. Had this problem too. Engine off. When locking or unlocking doors shortly thereafter. It is coming from under the hood. Mechanic diagnosed and it was the servo motor. That was replaced and sound gone. Which is great, because neighbours would look weirdly my way when i was walking away from car or about to get in and this big clicking sound (and it was loud) came from my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Both my 2012 & 2014 535i's do that. I've read it's the VANOS resetting or something like that.
Appreciate 0