2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Comfort Access Problem - FIXED

03-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

Comfort Access Problem - FIXED

My car likes to make me wait in regards to the Comfort Access; when trying to lock and unlock with the door handles and the key in my pocket, it never works on the first try. Sometimes it's the 3rd try, sometimes it the 40th try. The problem occurs with all the doors and the trunk, and also with both keys. I also frequently get the "Remote Not Detected" message while the car is running. Anybody that can shed any light on the situation, please do so!

EDIT: Problem solved! I diagnosed the car with ISTA/D and sure enough, it showed a Comfort Access fault, specifically with the center console front antenna (or "aerial" as BMW calls it). I saw on the car's service history that the cup holder in the center console had been repaired/replaced at one point, and I assume that the tech did not hook up the antenna when reinstalling the console. Pictures below!
Attached Images

Last edited by UA_civ_eng; 03-29-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 4
Kyngofpop676.00
      03-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

If both keys produce the same problem then I would think the sensors on the car itself are either faulty(not sure how common this is, I know there are multiple ones all over the car) or there's interference from another source. Never had that issue before personally but looking into that would be my next step if it did happen with my car...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron@Autosource View Post
If both keys produce the same problem then I would think the sensors on the car itself are either faulty(not sure how common this is, I know there are multiple ones all over the car) or there's interference from another source. Never had that issue before personally but looking into that would be my next step if it did happen with my car...
I agree, either a sensor or one of the controlling modules. I have ruled out interference. I took it to a local independent euro shop and the guys were so hesitant to dive into the problem that they didn't even let me make an appointment (maybe too much of a hassle or they are not competent). Figured I would post the problem on here to see if anybody has had a similar case in order to possibly fix it myself.

One interesting thing: At night time, when I walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, as soon as I touch the door handle, I see lights come on on the parking brake button and the emergency flasher button. Without the remote near, touching the door handle, those lights don't come on. So this tells me that the car knows that the remote is nearby and that the door handle is being touched, there is just a piece missing from the puzzle for it to send the unlock signal to the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

Just a thought: I've experienced a similar issue on several occasions, and realized the culprit was me carrying my key fob in the same hand as my iPhone. Once I separated the two, problem solved...

Is your smartphone anywhere near your key fob when Comfort Access acts up?
      03-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post
Just a thought: I've experienced a similar issue on several occasions, and realized the culprit was me carrying my key fob in the same hand as my iPhone. Once I separated the two, problem solved...

Nope. I have tried it every way possible, including holding the key in my hand right beside the door handle, up in the air, etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_civ_eng
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10 View Post

Nope. I have tried it every way possible, including holding the key in my hand right beside the door handle, up in the air, etc...
Something I've noticed over the years with CA...If one has large hands, the dorsal area (between the thumb and index finger) can contact the lock sensor area on the F10 handle (Fxx 6er/7er also) at the same time as the unlock motion sensor on the back side of the handle if all 4 fingers are used. I started using a two finger method and that seems to cure the car's stubborn reception since the unlock sensor is motion activated rather than contact activated like the lock area.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not the problem here, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
jabbarjd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 xDrive50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten View Post
Something I've noticed over the years with CA...If one has large hands, the dorsal area (between the thumb and index finger) can contact the lock sensor area on the F10 handle (Fxx 6er/7er also) at the same time as the unlock motion sensor on the back side of the handle if all 4 fingers are used. I started using a two finger method and that seems to cure the car's stubborn reception since the unlock sensor is motion activated rather than contact activated like the lock area.
That may explain the problem I've been having. I thought it was touch sensitive like my wife's Audi. I found it marginally irritating to have to pull the handles twice just to unlock the car because the first pull would unlock, and the second pull would open the door. I'm going to try either the two finger method like you, or see if grabbing the handle from the bottom makes any difference.

2019 BMW x7 xDrive50i in Phytonic Blue on Black -- 22" 756 Wheels
2015 BMW x5 xDrive35i in Mineral White on Canberra Beige - (sold)
2013 BMW 535i M Sport in Titanium Silver on Black - (sold)
1999 BMW z3 2.3 in Space Gray on Black - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Ive noticed if my key is in the same pocket as my phone and even occasionally my wallet(i suspect my id card for getting into the building at work) it sometimes takes a few tries.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I have had the similar issue with phones and wallets blocking signal. However, never had any issue with touching both lock and unlock. It seems more like a sensor issue if you are holding both keys in hands. I would doubt it is a battery issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am going to attempt to diagnose the problem here in an hour or so with ISTA/D.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #12
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Problem solved. Edited first post with fix
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

Wow, that was fast, thanks for the info as well
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Good work and solid write-up for other that may face issue now or the future.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Thanks for posting this is good fix
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Alexbartman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 525d (F10) 2012

Help-CA

Sorry to drag up and oldish thread but I have a very odd CA problem...the two front doors will not lock using the ridges on the handle, but both rear doors work just fine...where exactly is the antenna...you say under the centre console, but could you be a bit more specific for me please...is it under the trim that houses the gear lever and other buttons or inside/underneath the centre armrest cubby?? I'm hoping it's just a loose connection or a faulty antenna because I tried a new handle and that didn't sort the problem at all...weirdly, it does work very sporadically...reckon I should look at the antenna...but realoem seems to show there's a different antenna for each door (so four the doors and a 5th for the trunk/boot)....I'm really confused...if I pull the front handle, the door does UNlock but it's not Miron sensing, more mechanical the the back Doris that open when I first slip my hand behind the handle without even pulling it...
Appreciate 0