2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Replacing 2013 bmw 520d smaller to bigger Screen.

05-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #1
drguru
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d

Replacing 2013 bmw 520d smaller to bigger Screen.

HELLO EVERY ONE
I have 2013 bmw 520d manual.
Without satnav.Small screen.
Earlier i was planning to upgrade to cic but don't want to mess up with car too much and will like to keep it original. As its still in warranty till April next year.
I found BMW OEM Integrated Navigation Retrofit which my local dealer is ready fitting in 700 pounds.
Now i wanted bigger screen is there any possibility to replace the smaller screen with bigger screen without changing the main unit.
please help
Thank you
GSB
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

One option is to go for the standard pre facelift one, my standard screen on my 2011 is 7 inch, I believe BMW reduced the size with the facelift or in 2012!
The 10 inch screen is only possible with unit upgrade and satnav, the one you seeing at £700.
In fact I opted out from upgrading my screen as the difference between 7 and 10 and only getting sat nav was not worth the price plus the limitation once you do so with the unit you not able do full upgrade at BMW dealers due to codding implemented when installed! So I got a smart view unit to mirror my iPhone on the idrive, this way have google map or nav app on my phone showing on my idrive.

Last edited by martin mustang; 05-31-2016 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
drguru
Rep

Thank you Martin for the reply and advise.
can you please send the link from where you bought that smart view unit.
Is there any lagging in mirroring?
thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
drguru
Rep

Martin the unit which i saw is integrated navigation recently launched by bmw. its a small unit fixed in glove box and will use existing screen and media unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

looks good, the mirroring one I went for is the BimmerTech SmartView @
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...rive-retrofits
You get few option with it, I use iphone cradle in my centre consol and was hoping to have the phone in the cradle while mirroring the sat nav app but of course many official apps do not allow mirroring, so research the app you planning to use and the device and see if you not going to end up with noting, Google map works, but find it useless in Ireland.
The unit is not on the cheap side, well depending on your car for my one I needed the multimedia interface on top of the smartview, from the same supplier! So paid around 500 Euros in total, installation can be done by many auto tech places in the UK they have a dealer for it may be worth using them to get the installation spot on.
in the X3 forum you find reference to a new version with less lagging not sure if this is just out. see this video and options with the with this kit. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254851
One other option I am considering is the Head up display accessory from BMW, check this tread, page 5 for the unit mounted on the F10 dash board - http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...1063158&page=5
the only think stopping me is how it may look out of place, be it from the photos on the 5 dashboard is the not the worst, you get the satnav and app free upgrades plus torque and other nice details digital speed and all, I was hoping to have the map on the phone mirrored on the idrive while the head up display showed the directions, but the guy with the pictures and unit installed confirmed the Garmin app block any mirroring.
I like the new option integrated navigation, not sure if this the one I requested from my local dealer 4 months ago, and was told is for 2012 cars and upward only, I like how it is integrated so will look original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguru View Post
Thank you Martin for the reply and advise.
can you please send the link from where you bought that smart view unit.
Is there any lagging in mirroring?
thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
drguru
Rep

thank you Martin for advise.
bit confused at the moment what to do.
Will let you know what nav i finally get for my car.
cheers
Appreciate 0