2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Switching xenon headlights from rhd to lhd

07-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
wolfdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

Switching xenon headlights from rhd to lhd

I have a uk spec rhd 535d delivered May2011 with xenon headligths as part of visibility pack.

The car does not appear to have a manual switch to change the headlights over to lhd. This is backed up in the manual that comfirms that the headlights automatically adjust. [there was apprarently a change made eariler in 2011 to remove the manual switch]

The problem is that the car needs to be temporarily registered in Denmark (Nato export), and therefore needs to pass a Danish MOT.

The car currently fails the headlight testing.

At the moment my only option seems to be a complete replacement of both headlight units at £1000+ each.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
F11UK
Rep
Drives: F11 520d SE

go to a Danish dealer. Persuade them to swap the xenons out of a car on the used car lot/management car. Do MOT, change them back straight afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11UK View Post
go to a Danish dealer. Persuade them to swap the xenons out of a car on the used car lot/management car. Do MOT, change them back straight afterwards.
Probably involves more work than that nowadays cos the clusters are identical on both RHD & LHD cars. The thing that controls the beams is the control unit so probably have to swap that instead of the clusters.
Probably the safest way is to swap the xenons for halogens just for the test, but need to ascertain whether the electrical connections match on both types of lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

The car currently fails the headlight testing.
At the moment my only option seems to be a complete replacement of both headlight units at £1000+ each.

Has it been explained to you by the tester why the car currently fails the headlight testing? The information I received from BMW GB states that "the xenon technology incorporated into your vehicle's headlight system uses flat beam technology. To make sure that vehicles driving towards you or ahead of you are not dazzled by this stronger light, BMW xenon headlights incorporate a projection lens which directs the light beam straight to the road."

In other words the headlights are now the same for both LHD and RHD cars. Given that if your car is actually failing some test presumably there is something else wrong? Or is it the case that your tester has not actually tested anything but simply 'assumes' that it will fail because he can not find any manual adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

[QUOTE=
I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I have read elsewhere that a BMW Dealer can make this change via software. Have you checked with your dealer?