2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum question regarding the 7500 miles service?

07-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
Kai_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

question regarding the 7500 miles service?

hi everyone...today my car is telling that is due for service...it has 7500 miles on it, i am just wondering what its going to be done? and recommendation you guys think i might to tell my SA about the car? i am having issue with the USB connectors to my Iphone and my power outlets it is not working, and this is the second time its not working? i highly doubt its my Incase car charger..thank you...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidluvsole View Post
i am just wondering what its going to be done? and recommendation you guys think i might to tell my SA about the car?
An oil change. My recommendation is to tell nothing to the SA - once they start messing with your car there will be no end to it. Also, if everything is running well with the exception of the electronic glitches you mention - do not let them update the software or - update - improve - bring up to date - anything BTW, the power outlets in this car have a funny way of energizing/de-energizing so look into the timing of this on and off cycle before you let the "techs' have a go at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Kai_F80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
An oil change. My recommendation is to tell nothing to the SA - once they start messing with your car there will be no end to it. Also, if everything is running well with the exception of the electronic glitches you mention - do not let them update the software or - update - improve - bring up to date - anything BTW, the power outlets in this car have a funny way of energizing/de-energizing so look into the timing of this on and off cycle before you let the "techs' have a go at it.
yah my car is great just the USB and the charging thing.... and theres like a wire kinda out of underneath the air vent, its been there since they one i just never brought it in but i think since its in ill have them tuck it away.... what about the USB i mean thats like a 500 option anything i can do for that?? should i tell them??
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
what about the USB i mean thats like a 500 option anything i can do for that?? should i tell them??
Heck yeah, it's under warranty, that's why you bought a new car!

However, I'm with 1HOT on the other thing. Specifically tell them to NOT load any new software into the car for any reason without checking with you first. And if they do check with you, tell them not to do it.

Why? Because 7 times out of 10 it will change something that you will not like, such as engine performance. Trust me, BTDT.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
bamboozle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550I

They upgraded the software on my 550 and when I turned the car on the mpg, temp would turn on for a second and then turn back off. You would need to hit the button to turn them back on very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

The factory is the biological parent, the dealer is the step- who you want to avoid unless you have a problem with the car.
Its like going to the doctor for a physical when you're healthy, but instead the doctor passes a deadly communicable disease to you.
The 'techs' should be renamed the 'destructors'..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Kai_F80
Private
United_States
Rep

well wish me luck tomorrow...its scary...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I must express my dissent from the majority.

Get the software updated.

All of it.

While it is true an update could adversely affect performance, it is equally true the overall operability, reliability, efficiency, and to some extent functionality will be improved.

These cars are way too new and way too technical to avoid installing a software update.

Now, I agree that you should not let the techs rip apart your car trying to see if they can fix the USB problem. Rather, just tell them to install all software updates as a means to see if the USB problem goes away.

Quote:
well wish me luck tomorrow...its scary...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
While it is true an update could adversely affect performance, it is equally true the overall operability, reliability, efficiency, and to some extent functionality will be improved.

These cars are way too new and way too technical to avoid installing a software update.
Are there numerous iterative improvements in the software on a rolling basis?
Because it seems software changes are made to target 'problems' that appear, -ie. jerky transmission, pulling to left- in a few/some cars but not all (there would be a recall).
These changes alter the way the car behaves from before, whether your's suffer the problem or not. So if your car is fine, (=you are one of the lucky ones) why get the new changes to software that are done to fix a problem you don't have, which incur the cost of heavier steering, different transmission program etc.
Unless there are tangible benefits to getting the latest software, the changes may not be beneficial for the non-problem car.
Does the latest version improve handling, steering feel etc. or are they problem fixes?
Appreciate 0