2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Is the USB port just for charging

07-30-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
AsiaKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GTR/Gallardo Spyder/X5

Is the USB port just for charging

I know this is goign to come off dumb, but what is the USB port for? I tried to connet an iphone 4 to it, but it doesnt seem to do anything through idrive. So it just charges while i still have to use the Aux in for sound and go through the phone for control. I am thinking of just permanently setting up an itouch or a nano (the small square one) to use as a music player for the car, but i wonder if i can use the controls through idrive?

I know some pple talk about iphone integration, but is that automatic or an add on?

Sorry for the question. I tried searching but it seems a lot of it is at the functioning on the idrive rather than if it even connects to idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Dilemma5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

The USB in the glovebox is not powerful enough for the iPhone to connect, for that you need the USB in the armrest which is an option you have to spec (6FL) it is used for uploading music from a USB stick on to the drive hdd
Appreciate 0