2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding M Sport w/ Paddles installed

08-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

M Sport w/ Paddles installed

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I just to share...

I was able to switch my standard steering wheel without paddles to the Msport steering steering wheels with paddles.

Thanks to Lacster for sourcing the Msport steering and airbag for me. I bought it about a month ago but didn't have time to install and was doing research on how to make it work, especially the paddles. The msport steering wheel came with the switches that look exactly the same as mine, no extras and no missing buttons.

Then somehow I ran into MWPos and asked him if he could do the coding to activate the paddles, he did some research and after a week he came back and said he was confident it can be done and he can do it.

I installed the msport steering wheel and the airbag myself and it took about 30 minutes because I was being super careful and was just taking my time. With confidence and knowing exactly what to do, it'll probably take 15 minutes tops.

Steps to remove/install steering wheel and airbag:

1. Make sure the car is off and don't press the start/stop button during the process. Its probably best to disconnect the battery but I did not do it. I just kept the key away from the car.

2. Pop the airbag thru the pinhole at the bottom of the steering wheel using flathead screw driver, and disconnect the connectors, there are 3.

3. Unbolt the steering wheel, pull it off.

4. Install new steering wheel, don't worry about alignment, there's only one way to put it. Tighten steering bolt.

5. Connect the 3 plugs, snap the airbag back in.

This does not include the procedure to move the switches because the steering that I bought already has the switches included.

The paddles did not work after I installed the steering wheel because it has yet to be coded.

MWPos did the coding, and he is very professional with his work. I strongly suggest having him do your coding if you're even remotely interested.

To those of you who have a standard steering wheel without paddles, this is a really nice mod. When you throw the shifter to sport mode it now shows the actual gear you're in, not just DS. Then when you shift manually, either thru the shifter or paddles, it works just like it did, holding the gear to redline or until you up shift.

BMW paddles are not the best, but it gives a different driving experience. I may be biased because I've always wanted it. I think I will keep liking it until I drive a Porsche or GTR paddles .

It also means that you can order the M Performance Alcantara with paddles and upgrade from non paddles. Keep in mind, you will need the Msport steering wheel airbag to make it work. There is no way to use the standard steering airbag on the M sport or Performance steering wheel.

Again thanks to Lacster for sourcing the Steering Wheel and MWPos for coding the paddles (among other cool codings too!)

PM me if you have any question and I'll be happy to help, if I can.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Just remember every time you take your car in for service that all coding, including the activation of the paddles, will be overridden. As a result, you will have to have your paddles recoded every time.

I know this, because I recently installed an m-sport steering wheel with paddle shifters and will have to pay to have them recoded following virtually every service and/or problem visit at the dealership.
      08-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

We'll find out tomorrow about the coding being erased as I'm going in for service.

MWPos thanks again and to Shawn as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
2k15f30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

not 100% but cant you change your VO to have this and then recode via that VO? Wouldn't this negate the problem of the dealer overwriting the FDL coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Glad you like the new steering wheel Mike!

MWPos, you should come join us this month for our F10 meet on the 31st.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Was there already wiring for the paddles on the stock steering rack?
      08-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Was there already wiring for the paddles on the stock steering rack?
Yes. I did not have to do any wiring at all. The steering I purchased had the paddles and multi switches already, it was plug, coding and play.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
Yes. I did not have to do any wiring at all. The steering I purchased had the paddles and multi switches already, it was plug, coding and play.
interesting, I hope my F25 already have the pre-wiring for the paddles. Thanks!
      10-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #9
Dzbeslic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
interesting, I hope my F25 already have the pre-wiring for the paddles. Thanks!
I would also like to upgrade to m sport steering wheel. I don't really care about paddles but it must have heated functions and be plug n play. Does it have to be coded if it doesn't have shifting paddles?
Appreciate 0