2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 pulling to the right...

11-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #243
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySuperF10 View Post
I have a late september build F10. Standard 17" wheels with Pirelli P7 runflats.

I also have the pulling to the right problem. ...
This seems to be blowing the latest 'September fix' apart.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 03:27 AM   #244
wannes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 E61

my F11 535d is from 10.20.2010 and also pull's to the right ....
i've got the adaptive drive and active steering .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #245
jc031662
Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannes View Post
my F11 535d is from 10.20.2010 and also pull's to the right ....
i've got the adaptive drive and active steering .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #246
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I am getting a bit "Baffled here" I have never had any issues with BMW's at all, and as I said before, the test drive in the M Sport 3.0 Diesel drove great, yes a bit light in "Normal/Comfort Mode" at high speeds but NO pulling any which way!!!and when the suspension and steering settings were set too "Sport Mode" all was great.
Do cars coming to the UK get some other tweaks to the steering or was I lucky?.
I know that if my 550I M Sport comes in late dec early Jan has any pulling one way or another it will be left were it stands till they replace or sort.
      11-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #247
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Now anyone read this?.
It could have some bearing.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.ph...7c91a8e0f2d22a
      11-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #248
FstTrack
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Now anyone read this?.
It could have some bearing.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.ph...7c91a8e0f2d22a
My steering was very smooth.... even when pulling to the right!!

*Notice I said WAS since it's still in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #249
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Sept Build, no pulling...

I have a pretty standard 520d Sept 2010 build with 17" Pirelli's and I get no pull whatsoever. I was on a long, flat straight the other day, I let go of the wheel and the car went straight on with no pull either way.

Now since day one I was getting the wandering/zig-zagging with camber/bad surface/wind problem - but I think (hope!!!) that has been cured too.

I took the car in as the engine management light had come on (and gone off a day or so later) twice in a week. They said it was a faulty turbo pressure sensor (I think that's what they said) and would replace it.

Anyways, 2 days later (lousy rental car!!) I got it back this morning and the wander problem appears to be fixed.

That is not what they were SUPPOSED to be fixing, I am not sure what else they did (software upgrade??) and it is a bit early to have a party, but maybe, I hope, I pray, it is all fixed now.... I have done about 150 miles today and it drives fantastic! Really good.

Fingers crossed.
DNA
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #250
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

....one thing I forgot.

When I first took the car in they showed me a printout of error messages (not sure where these came from, but they had not plugged the car into the diagnostics computer yet).

There were a long list of error message all connected to steering!!!!!!!

I said YES I HAVE STEERING PROBLEMS AS WELL!! I was right, it wasn't me, I wasn't imagining it!!

Half an hour later (the start of a long wait for the lovely SEAT EXEO they had arranged for me - VILE) they said their own diagnostics computer had none of these error messges, which was "weird" and "confused" them. Well my heart sank.

Anyway, they ordered and then fitted the part that had broken (turbo sensor thingy) and I got the car back this morning.

I asked "what happened about the conflicting error reports" and the (different) guy said "dunno about that mate..."

The original guy had said that the car has a fibre optic computer network and the turbo sensor thingy may have sent a load of "bad data" down the fibre optic network (think he called it a KBUS ?? He also talked about MAC addresses, which I vaguely remember from my HND course at night school in Computing about 15 years ago) and said that may explain why the two computer error lists conflicted - thought that sounded like bulls**t).

All this has shaken my confidence in BMW and particularly the dealer.

But if the steering issue is fixed, who cares (for now).

DNA
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #251
grilodan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5, 2017 BMW X6M

FIXED

Guys, after months of suffering, I can tell you that I have my F10 535i fixed. In short, they have rotated the left strut 10mm and have done a software update. The first update did not work, but the one they did last week was perfect. In addition to fixing the steering issue, I have to say that it also changed the throttle response (no more jerking like crazy with every single step on the throttle) and it has slightly changed the navigation display inside the instrument cluster. Now, instead of just showing an arrow pointing ahead, whenever the next waypoint is within 6 miles, it'll show the distance. Pretty neat and something post-september builds should have already. My car is an August build, just FYI. Tell your dealer that they need to run the latest software update on your car to get it fixed. Trust me guys, it's a significant change.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #252
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
Guys, after months of suffering, I can tell you that I have my F10 535i fixed. In short, they have rotated the left strut 10mm and have done a software update. The first update did not work, but the one they did last week was perfect. In addition to fixing the steering issue, I have to say that it also changed the throttle response (no more jerking like crazy with every single step on the throttle) and it has slightly changed the navigation display inside the instrument cluster. Now, instead of just showing an arrow pointing ahead, whenever the next waypoint is within 6 miles, it'll show the distance. Pretty neat and something post-september builds should have already. My car is an August build, just FYI. Tell your dealer that they need to run the latest software update on your car to get it fixed. Trust me guys, it's a significant change.
Great news for those with this problem, mine is build week 50 so should have this software and fix.
      11-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #253
bimmerfrei
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
Excellent news, does the software update have some kind of name or reference number? Also, was it a dedicated steering software update or some kind of "fix-all-problems-and-install-newest-version-of-all-programs" update?

/Christian
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #254
FstTrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031662 View Post
I hope that's the case. My week 44 build just arrived at the VPC in Brunswick GA and should get to me next week. I have to admit, I'm almost dreading it... what if this replacement has the same issue? I'd like to think they got their stuff together and really fixed it between my first (week 18) and week 44...
JC, there are a lot of posts on here so sorry if I forgot, but did they replace the steering column on your original car? I thought someone on this board went through this but it didn't work. Would be interested in getting some feedback on this "fix."
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #255
FstTrack
United_States
Rep

Thanks for confirming, JC. Hope the new car works out much better for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #256
mrgf
mrgf
Spain
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 520d F10

Good guys, long time since I write from Spain but I read on this forum. My 520d built in June had the problem of pulling to the right, after three weeks in my possession came into the studio in early August and early October when it was not fixed even told them I wanted a new car and I have since a week. It is perfect with no problem and is a fantastic car (built in October). The seller told me that the other car is fixed so I wish you luck and sure the problem will be fixed
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #257
MySuperF10
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F10

Its getting quiet on this subject. Are everybodys problems regarding the pulling to the right problem resolved? Apparently, no new cases are popping up.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #258
lawbuz
Rep
Drives: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySuperF10 View Post
Its getting quiet on this subject. Are everybodys problems regarding the pulling to the right problem resolved? Apparently, no new cases are popping up.
No, I don't think they've been resolved. I have a June built which also has a significant pulling to the right problem. I took it to the shop today. BMW will need to follow a bunch of steps in order to resolve, the first starting with an alignment check, and perhaps concluding with a software update.

Could someone please confirm the applicable software update? What is it called? Also, does that address the numb steering issue as well as the drifting to the right issue?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #259
jc031662
Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

RESOLUTION!

I thought I'd update you guys on the final outcome of my F10 "odyssey". I got my new car on Monday and it is P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!!! Drives straight as an arrow!

A funny thought came to me yesterday. If you remember a plot line from the TV show Dallas quite a few years back that involved Bobby “coming back from the dead” – Pam wakes up {sound of shower running in the background}, walks into the bathroom and Bobby turns around in shower. Pam says: “Oh Bobby, I had the worst dream…”. Let’s just say I dreamt I had another 2011 535i. As far as I’m concerned, the car I picked up Monday night is the first – and it certainly gives me that exhilarating feel when you get your new car (something that didn’t happen with the other [dreamt] car).

Best of luck to all -
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #260
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031662 View Post
I thought I'd update you guys on the final outcome of my F10 "odyssey". I got my new car on Monday and it is P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!!! Drives straight as an arrow!

A funny thought came to me yesterday. If you remember a plot line from the TV show Dallas quite a few years back that involved Bobby “coming back from the dead” – Pam wakes up {sound of shower running in the background}, walks into the bathroom and Bobby turns around in shower. Pam says: “Oh Bobby, I had the worst dream…”. Let’s just say I dreamt I had another 2011 535i. As far as I’m concerned, the car I picked up Monday night is the first – and it certainly gives me that exhilarating feel when you get your new car (something that didn’t happen with the other [dreamt] car).

Best of luck to all -
Hooray
      12-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #261
mrgf
mrgf
Spain
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 520d F10

Congratulations, believe me I know how you feel. I wish the rest of those affected have the same fate.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #262
cagatacos
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: f11 520 d sport auto

Now since day one I was getting the wandering/zig-zagging with camber/bad surface/win

Hi i have an f11 17´ normal suspension with sport auto gear box, xenon, hi-fi pro, confort seats.
I have 1500 Km and since day one i have the issue of pulling to the right (not always and not very hard) and the wandering/zig-zagging with camber/bad surface/wind problem (i dont know how to desribe it but sometimes the car can´t go straight it seems like zig-zagging).
Any one with some problem?
I didn´t take it to dealer because i`m one of the firts ones ge it in portugal and i dont trust them to start making "blind adjustments". So if i knew wht was the cause of the problem it would be much more safe to complain of it.
By the way the car is absolute fantastic.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #263
tetiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911S

Hi;
I talked with the technicans today. They told me that bmw f10/11 steering system interfere when there is wind. What I mean is if the wind blow from right, steer rotate to the right at most 3 degree to the right to absorb the effect of the wind. This why car zig-zagging when windy.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #264
MySuperF10
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F10

My pulling to the right is gone. My dealer updated the software and changed something in the suspension. The technicial showed me some pictures from the BMW knowledge base. He showed me the spring on the right side and I saw on that picture that something needed a turn of about 7 mm. I believe it was to remove tension of the spring.
I'm a happy driver again....
All the best getting your problems resolved too.
Appreciate 0