2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Exhaust round 2 - more bark, more bite! - Now with videos!

09-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Wow the Manaflows installed for 350 and the car sounds magical. Doesn't have the snap, gurgle pop the delete did, but what a nice note it makes across the band.

Excellent advice FenixMike

There is a drone, but now it's only in part of the rpm range not all over the place like the delete. I'm going to get the exact frequency, rpm range and do the helmhotlz math to neutralize it.

I think I now understand what people are talking about in regards to "rasp". To me rasp sounds like a good thing, but I think I am confusing that comparison to "snap, gurgle pop", the fun stuff. My DP even after properly seated makes this awful metal-flanging sound higher up in the RPM's. I want that to go away. Maybe that's where resonators come in and a specific size j-pipe to erase that 90-120hz low bass drone.

Sorry for the thread jack
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Wow the Manaflows installed for 350 and the car sounds magical. Doesn't have the snap, gurgle pop the delete did, but what a nice note it makes across the band.

There is a drone, but now it's only in part of the rpm range not all over the place like the delete. I'm going to get the exact frequency, rpm range and do the helmhotlz math to neutralize it.

I think I now understand what people are talking about in regards to "rasp". To me rasp sounds like a good thing, but I think I am confusing that comparison to "snap, gurgle pop", the fun stuff. My DP even after properly seated makes this awful metal-flanging sound higher up in the RPM's. I want that to go away. Maybe that's where resonators come in and a specific size j-pipe to erase that 90-120hz low bass drone.

Man, you dont mess around! Resonators dont make the exhaust "quieter", only the inside of the car and resonance. If you have someone do some drive bys for you at wide open throttle, im willing to bet your car sounds pretty pissed off still. Theres is also a "Y" style magnaflow muffler if you want a reduction further in sound tha will replace the Y pipe you currently have. I used that on my V6 4runner because I wanted a full exhaust for power, but as quiet as possible for around town... with the combination of the Y muffler and rear magnaflow muffler, it was just about silent while still picking up 20 horsepower over stock. When I do the IS350 Lexus cars, I use 14 inch magnapack resonators up front and the same mufflers out back you used, they give a very exotic tone at wide open, while still being silent around town.

Just remember how much sound deadening the 5 series cars have so while it may be boring and quiet inside, it likely has some bite outside.

Oh... and get some videos!

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike
Quote:

Man, you dont mess around! Resonators dont make the exhaust "quieter", only the inside of the car and resonance. If you have someone do some drive bys for you at wide open throttle, im willing to bet your car sounds pretty pissed off still. Theres is also a "Y" style magnaflow muffler if you want a reduction further in sound tha will replace the Y pipe you currently have. I used that on my V6 4runner because I wanted a full exhaust for power, but as quiet as possible for around town... with the combination of the Y muffler and rear magnaflow muffler, it was just about silent while still picking up 20 horsepower over stock. When I do the IS350 Lexus cars, I use 14 inch magnapack resonators up front and the same mufflers out back you used, they give a very exotic tone at wide open, while still being silent around town.

Just remember how much sound deadening the 5 series cars have so while it may be boring and quiet inside, it likely has some bite outside.

Oh... and get some videos!
Ok so that low bass drone that vibrates the seats can be eliminated with a set of resonators?

I tried to take a video, but it does it no justice In terms of sound quality. I'll get a tripod or see if I can get a GoPro too and a good mic.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #26
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok so that low bass drone that vibrates the seats can be eliminated with a set of resonators?

I tried to take a video, but it does it no justice In terms of sound quality. I'll get a tripod or see if I can get a GoPro too and a good mic.
This muffler will give the best results but will also make it quieter
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12198

If you want to maintain the louder sound but just reduce resonance, two of these after the Ypipe
http://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=10436

Or a single large one ahead of the Ypipe will help out a TON. A lot depends on what you have for space as the 550 is setup completely different under there. Ive had some cars where I ran a combination of 5 mufflers/resonators to make it quieter than stock yet offer superior flow and performance. The mufflers will break in after a week or so of driving so give it a shot and see how they work. The first day of my exhaust I thought the resonance might be annoying, now its pretty much gone.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:25 AM   #27
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I pulled up that Magna flow 12198 3" inlet but (2) 2.5" outlets. How would u set up 4" quad tips to this?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:38 AM   #28
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I pulled up that Magna flow 12198 3" inlet but (2) 2.5" outlets. How would u set up 4" quad tips to this?
You just weld the tips directly to it... they really weren't designed for that though and may be too far spaced out. This specific muffler is meant to go at the "y" pipe towards the front of your exhaust. Magna flow does have some mufflers with tips built in already but I believe the largest they come is 2.5 inlet. With some creativity and the correct tips (very short ones) I could likely make it work, but thats a long muffler to fit in there and still have room to attach tips correctly without causing a lot of work and bends.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #29
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well FenixMike, back to the drawing board again. I could slap on so Megan's and call it a day or have you heard of Schmeidman's? They come with quad 100mm tips

http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/...e4.htm#1943996
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #30
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well FenixMike, back to the drawing board again. I could slap on so Megan's and call it a day or have you heard of Schmeidman's? They come with quad 100mm tips

http://www.schmiedmann.com/5_series/...e4.htm#1943996
I havent, but big exhaust tips are sexy! If you have a decent exhaust shop around you, they can install the mufflers how I did mine further upstream and then make tail sections... its just a real pain getting all 4 tips straight and properly spaced which is why I just did single in/single out mufflers and a dual tip. IF money is no object though, im sure they would love to spend the time to do it right. Since I do all my exhaust in mandrel sections so there are no crush bends, it would take me a while to make it perfect, but if youre ok with crush bends, they could probably do it decently quick. I also prefer larger mufflers as they cut down on rasp a lot more.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #31
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
FenixMike first off thanks for all the exhaust help.

I monitored the audio from the exhaust. Keep in mind I've only installed the mangaflow mufflers and not the resonators. The two frequencies making the car "bassy" are 95khz and less annoying 165khz. Do you know how I can target two separate frequencies? If not, I can rid of the 95 range which is the one the has the most bass with a calculated j-pipe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #32
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

FenixMike, just realized these are for a M5 but the pipe can be modified to fit a 535i correct? unless you know of a quad exhaust with 4" tips already? I searched Magna flow, Borla but nothing with 4" quad tips?

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I monitored the audio from the exhaust. Keep in mind I've only installed the mangaflow mufflers and not the resonators. The two frequencies making the car "bassy" are 95khz and less annoying 165khz. Do you know how I can target two separate frequencies? If not, I can rid of the 95 range which is the one the has the most bass with a calculated j-pipe.
BMW doubles... is that an app u downloaded? Pretty cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #34
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
FenixMike, just realized these are for a M5 but the pipe can be modified to fit a 535i correct? unless you know of a quad exhaust with 4" tips already? I searched Magna flow, Borla but nothing with 4" quad tips?
Most companies wont have anything like that as its a proprietary design for a specific car (typically anything where it only fits on one car like this, Corvettes, etc are a proprietary design with specifically made tips and/or mufflers) so they want you to buy the entire system or nothing at all. If they just sold the tail sections, no one would buy the entire $4,000 exhaust. There is no power difference using a single in/single out muffler and running a dual tip on it, and if anything it gives you more options of mufflers to run. Looking at that specific system, chances are they just bought a cheap muffler somewhere, found some bolt on tips and tacked their name plate on the top of it. No idea what it will sound like but shorter mufflers like that tend to be quite a bit raspier, so it depends on the sound you want. If you're dead set on requiring a single in dual out muffler in a factory configuration, you may either be paying a lot more, or having to use someone such as that brand. Flow master makes a inexpensive 2.5 inch inlet, dual 4 inch outlet exhaust tip that you can use with any 2.5 inch muffler (I think they are $45 each on amazon) and they look great. I measured 7.5 inches total with my base 550i bumper so those weren't an option for me and went with dual 3.0 inch instead.

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #35
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Im old school and just mainly use experience when building exhausts, and trial and error when building new systems for the first time. Ive never used any fancy frequency meters like that and likely never will just because part of the fun for me is experimenting on new stuff and building systems where as it sounds like you want to more engineer a system to your exact specifics. I know which mufflers resonate more, which resonators help, and how to do just about anything exhaust related, but I guess ive never run into an issue before that I couldn't fix by either adding something, or changing something. These cars are new to me in the sense that ive never worked with an inline six using a single turbo to dual exhaust as the only similar cars I did before were 530i and 330i/M3 cars that ran duals all the way back.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #36
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Most companies wont have anything like that as its a proprietary design for a specific car (typically anything where it only fits on one car like this, Corvettes, etc are a proprietary design with specifically made tips and/or mufflers) so they want you to buy the entire system or nothing at all. If they just sold the tail sections, no one would buy the entire $4,000 exhaust. There is no power difference using a single in/single out muffler and running a dual tip on it, and if anything it gives you more options of mufflers to run. Looking at that specific system, chances are they just bought a cheap muffler somewhere, found some bolt on tips and tacked their name plate on the top of it. No idea what it will sound like but shorter mufflers like that tend to be quite a bit raspier, so it depends on the sound you want. If you're dead set on requiring a single in dual out muffler in a factory configuration, you may either be paying a lot more, or having to use someone such as that brand. Flow master makes a inexpensive 2.5 inch inlet, dual 4 inch outlet exhaust tip that you can use with any 2.5 inch muffler (I think they are $45 each on amazon) and they look great. I measured 7.5 inches total with my base 550i bumper so those weren't an option for me and went with dual 3.0 inch instead.
Well crap! I see what u mean with the shorter mufflers and having a raspy note...not what I'm gunning for! I have room for the 4" tips since I already have the mtech bumper and DTM M5 diffuser. I guess I'll have to email them or request a sound clip and dimensions of the exhaust. Thanks for your input! It looks like I don't have to buy the entire system as this would only be a catback exhaust...should fit tho with the right modifications right?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 01:52 AM   #37
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Quote:

BMW doubles... is that an app u downloaded? Pretty cool!
Yeah is called the iAnalyzer on iPhone. I'm shooting for the highest db point of 100khz at 90db when cruising around. So it goes:

( sound speed / kHz) / lowest dominator * ft = size

(1100 / 100) / 4 * 12 = 33" of j-pipe

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #38
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FenixMike...how about these Eisenmann's 4X120X77MM? there for an M5 but i'm sure it can be modified to fit.

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #39
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
FenixMike...how about these Eisenmann's 4X120X77MM? there for an M5 but i'm sure it can be modified to fit.

should be able to be modified... how much $$$ though?

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #40
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
should be able to be modified... how much $$$ though?
Lol...u don't want to know Lol! I'm still figuring out with the links u gave me which one I will like? And a good muffler shop that can do the work.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 10-06-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0