2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum AM antenna repair - 3rd brake light removal

09-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
ClubBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i xdrive

AM antenna repair - 3rd brake light removal

Hi everyone. It's my 1st post. Be easy on me

I tried to do a search on this but I didn't come up with anything (yet). I have a problem where the ribbon cable that is soldered to the back windshield of my F10 has broken free at several of the traces. I'd like to hit it with a soldering iron but I need to remove the 3rd brake light. Does anyone know how to remove it without damage?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
mgattmch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GC

I think this post will answer your question:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205237
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

It's amazing what a little search on Youtube brings up.
Try this one...

Appreciate 1
Mboldn1.50
      09-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
ClubBMW
United_States
Rep

Awesome. Thanks everyone! I was concentrating on those red tabs thinking they popped out but they weren't budging. I didn't think the black side pieces were separate. I'll post my progress on this effort when I get back to the task sometime in the next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

I guess you're out of warranty huh? I remember mine broke early enough that it was repaired under warranty. I rely don't know why it broke. I just lost am reception, and that's how I found out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
ClubBMW
United_States
Rep

Warranty? It's just out of warranty. Being as such I checked into what it would cost to get the back window replaced and I thought it was quite reasonable... at least for me, as I had a report with the manager. I used them in the past for a repair. $265 installed.

.. but I was determined to make this a zero dollar fix because, if I was willing to spend cash to get it replaced, there's no reason I can't risk trashing the window with a solder gun (I was originally worried the heat might start a crack).

Anyway, on the ribbon cable some of the contacts were unusable so I cut the unusable part off. I then used 400 grit sandpaper to sand away some of the ribbon plastic to expose the traces.

I then used the wires inside a stranded (not solid) core RJ45 Ethernet cable and soldered one wire to each trace. I followed that by cutting the wires to a length I thought I could work with and loaded up the lose ends with solder so I wouldn't have to fight gravity later trying to feed fresh solder onto the window contacts. This was a good time to test for continuity with a meter.

I found out shortly after that I did this all of this on the back side of the ribbon cable by accident so later on I had used hot glue to cover my work and taped a piece of antistatic plastic over it as an additional insulator so it wouldn't come into contact with the window frame. This might be a good idea either way.

At the window I plugged the ribbon cable in to position to locate it properly then taped it into place so I wouldn't have to hold it. I then unplugged it for good measure.

Now would be a good time to cover your back seats and the back deck area under the window with towels - you don't want to burn a hole into anything!

With a screw driver tip (my fingers were a bit to big for this tight area and my fingers aren't big!) to hold each wire against the window contacts I operated the solder gun with one hand and the screw driver with the other. I only had two hands so feeding solder at this point was not a possibility, hence the prior pre-soldering step. Being a job you have to do upside down, the window part didn't come out that pretty so I didn't take a picture of the end result but it worked like a charm after that. If one of the solder joints break in the future I'll just touch it up again.
Attached Images

Last edited by ClubBMW; 09-26-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Good job!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States