2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Plastidip vs. Vinyl: Someone Settle This Debate

06-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Question Plastidip vs. Vinyl: Someone Settle This Debate

One is a wrap, the other is a liquid that forms into a wrap. One is much more inexpensive to the other.

I've heard all the @#$% like "Why would you plastidip an $80K car" or "Plastdip is so cheap and meant for Honda Civics" and "Vinyl Wrapping is the only way to go for high-end cars" and such.

Also, I have seen members who have used Plastidip on their cars, wheels, etc. and they seem to hold up just fine, and due to the liquid application, can cover surfaces with much less difficulty compared to Vinyl.

So, I really want to settle this, not just for me, but for the community. Why is Vinyl "so much better" than Plastidip and for what reasons? Why do you guys believe Plastidip is so cheap.

Here is a vid showing someone's Audi R8 V10 being plastidipped in Matte Grey, and thats a $150K+ car.

I'm not saying I'm a loyal Plastidip fan, I just want people's input. Post away my friends (no fights please though)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

I guarantee if you get up close to that Audi the "paint" will look about as refined as the price of it insinuates. I'm cool with plastidipping areas of a car, but the whole car just seems to wrong. I'm not a big vinyl fan for the record either, but I think the finish and overall sheen should/would look more consistent than plastidip.

Plus, if anyone asks "what paint is that" you have to say "plasti-dip". Talk about talking your car down to the lowest depths.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

DON'T DO IT (end of discussion)!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

My brother in law just plasticdipped his honda matte black. From a far it looks pretty decent but up close it looks and feels cheap. Its not smooth like vinyl at all plus removing it isn't as easy as some would think. I would imagine if you spray it on really thick it would make it easier to remove but other wise it peels off little by little.

You gotta pay to play or not play at all imo.

Alan
      06-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

besides the egg shell type finish of plastidip even when using a proper applicator sprayer, my main problem with it is when you remove it.
while everyone talks about how you must do a thick enough coat to be able to properly remove it, the issue is panel gaps.
if you do sometype of obnoxious color, when you remove it, in all of the gaps there was overspray, that will NOT be thick enough to peel, and also will be deep between 2 panels to where u can reach it unless you remove the panels from the car.
also with plastidip you have to be very careful with carwashing, filling up your car with gas (gas will make it peel instantly).
most people i know who have dipped their car, either immediately regret it and peel instantly, or, the 10 hours it takes them to 90% remove it less the gaps, regret it then.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

All your guys points seem to be valid, but does anyone now why Vinyl is so expensive?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
ben_ben125
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: G37s, 550i ,

vinyl
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Vinyl isn't expensive. Its about $600 for a roll big enough to do almost two full cars (3M). Its the labor that is expensive. Me and my buddy wrapped his Audi and it was our first time at it. Took 3-4 Saturdays in a row to finish his car.
      06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Screamin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i xDrive

Vinyl shouldn't be that expensive and is a lot more forgiving. 3M brand products usually cost more and their DiNoc line of vinyls are really good. Dipping your car??? Nothing is being dipped, it's not like you're putting it in to a bath before anodizing. My vote if for vinyl, 3M with comply or Avery EZ vinyl.
'97 E39 528i (Arctic Silver Metallic) - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
j535i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive

I have plastidip on my exhaust tips, window trim, door handles, and 535i emblem. I love it,very durable but I'd never do my entire car in it. It marks up too easily to put in large areas. I'd be worried about someone leaning up against it or rubbing it, this stuff slides right off and touch ups would be a b... Wrap it...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Plus, if anyone asks "what paint is that" you have to say "plasti-dip". Talk about talking your car down to the lowest depths.
Same goes with the vinyl wrap... If someone believes you actually have bought a frozen coloured BMW (with the added expense), you have to explain that "it's "just" vinyl wrapped", it's not the real thing...

Even though wrapping is more accepted than plasti-dip, it's still not paint and the question you use as an example would still have to be explained by; "it's not paint, it's wrapped".

I would however choose a vinyl wrap for the car over plasti-dip for all the good reasons mentioned above
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
TBH, I hate this kind of topic that it just attracts trouble and hate. Come on guys, were better than this, were in this forum together to have fun, share ideas and help people overall.
In short meeting and connecting BMW owners all over the world.

IMO both Vinyl and Plasti are the same thing same ingredients are being used but has a different texture and finish. It really comes down on who is installing it,

I do have experience in both Wrapping and Plasti dipping and I am confident I can give you a damn Good Finish~

I don't want to start a fight with anyone but, In conclusion, we can do whatever we want to our cars to make it more unique and make it represent who we are or how to express ourselves.

Have a Good Day everyone!
Kean~
      06-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
TBH, I hate this kind of topic that it just attracts trouble and hate. Come on guys, were better than this, were in this forum together to have fun, share ideas and help people overall.
In short meeting and connecting BMW owners all over the world.

IMO both Vinyl and Plasti are the same thing same ingredients are being used but has a different texture and finish. It really comes down on who is installing it,

I do have experience in both Wrapping and Plasti dipping and I am confident I can give you a damn Good Finish~

I don't want to start a fight with anyone but, In conclusion, we can do whatever we want to our cars to make it more unique and make it represent who we are or how to express ourselves.

Have a Good Day everyone!
Kean~
Well said
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #14
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

I'll plastic dip my M5 any day as it is an easily removable feature. I like options and the most out of what I pay for.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

I did both on some part of my car. If you like matte, it's fine to go with plasti dip (not the whole car). But if u want glossy, even glossifier won't give you that glossy vinyl can give you. However, if comparing glossy of vinyl and paint, paint win for sure. IMO, between plasti dip and vinyl, vinyl win. Good paint job is best, but expensive

It's just depend on which part of the car to use dip or vinyl. Like the rims, most people I know dip their rims. Haven't seen one that wrap their rims
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Honestly, it's a waste of money as it isn't cheap to do a whole car.

The only reason I would do it is for the matte look. I would go with dipping. But at those prices for something not permanent, there's no point.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Just did the shadow trim on the windows and it came out great! I went with gloss black for the fact I can use the left over pieces to do the door...front reflectors...and side trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
FaintReality
NoUSE4aName
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 550i

Autoflex. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #19
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I don't mind either, if they're done right. Plastidip is like paint, or vinyl for that matter, if you have no experience doing it, then do a small area and get practice in, otherwise it will look like crap - guaranteed. The best part about plastidip vs vinyl is that vinyl can be found in ridiculously stupid colors like gloss gold and chrome.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Plastidip is nice if you are unsure about color choice and it does hold up well, especially if applied right and you take care of it.

I dipped my wheels and chrome accents. I have gotten nothing but compliments. SA even approved and advised against powdercoating the wheels as it would void warranties.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #21
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Interesting how this thread was revived from so long ago... lol.

I've seen autoflex in person. Looks great from a few feet away, but still when I come close, the orange peel gives it away. Autoflex has brought liquid vinyl a long way, but I firmly believe vinyl will still have the edge for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Plastidip is nice if you are unsure about color choice and it does hold up well, especially if applied right and you take care of it.

I dipped my wheels and chrome accents. I have gotten nothing but compliments. SA even approved and advised against powdercoating the wheels as it would void warranties.
Void warranties? Wow, now that's just sad (sorry to be harsh). Under no way should powder coating be any sort of means to void a warranty lol. It's like saying painting your badges or trims voids the warranty.
Appreciate 0