2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Upgrade from standard stereo to HIFI?

05-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Upgrade from standard stereo to HIFI?

Hi all,

I have a bog standard 520d SE with the pro nav... great car, absolutely love it...apart from the quality of the audio.

I've been doing a little research and it seems plug and play - swapping the door speakers front and rear to the upgraded ones which accept the tweeter in the A-pillar/higher in the door card and add some sub-woofers in the floor of the car under the seats?

is this all that is needed? no extra coding or anything whatsoever? i understand the standard subwoofers have a 4 wire connection - but these can be bridged?

I mainly listen to audiobooks/podcasts and a little bit of music but mostly spoken word stuff for my long commutes into work - i'm not after bass or anything, just nice and clear! i had a golf before this and it was amazing but hey ho.

any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Great that you're thinking of upgrading the speakers but I would also upgrade to the Bimmertech amp since the stock system is just not putting enough power. Upgrading the speakers will sound good but giving them more power will make them sound even better
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 04:45 AM   #3
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Hi,
my only concern with adding the amp is the extra wiring, is this major wiring? i can't find a fitting guide to go from the stock/standard/crap speakers to hifi (hifi to top-hifi, plenty as people swap out the amps) but little on actually adding a stock amp

i would prefer to use stock items as much as is possible tbh, just for my own peace of mind!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Hi,
my only concern with adding the amp is the extra wiring, is this major wiring? i can't find a fitting guide to go from the stock/standard/crap speakers to hifi (hifi to top-hifi, plenty as people swap out the amps) but little on actually adding a stock amp

i would prefer to use stock items as much as is possible tbh, just for my own peace of mind!
the bimmertech amp is plug n play here's the link...try to reach out to Nelson for more info and if there still is a group buy going on

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/audio-amplifier-for-bmw/
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Apples12

Do not go down the stock route, as the wiring from the head unit to the amp in the boot is not there.

You would need to strip a breaker to get all the wiring for the head unit and then from the amp to the speakers(this wiring is different to the base). It would be a hassle and good luck finding a breaker with hifi option. From what I can see they are either base or stolen M5's which will be HK and will have cable runs to the rear doors - base and hifi have no speakers in the rear doors or mounting points.

The best approach is either
1.via bimmertech with the separate subwoofer cables as ISturboint states
Or
2.via the technic pnp 4/6 harness which will be cheaper at say $215 for technic harness with rca's + postage to UK and import duties and £370 gbp for an jl audio 600v2 or Eton SDA 100.6 for £293.
You could perhaps pick up JL audio 2nd hand off ebay for c£150.
The key item is to match your technic harness to your amp - is it rca input or is it bare wire/connectors. Get in touch with Technic on this forum he is a fountain of knowledge.

Both the above options are plug and play and will involve no cutting of existing wiring. Either way you will need to strip out your boot (10 minutes) and run cables the same way as the reverse camera to the head unit. Simple really. You will also need to run separate cables to your subwoofers in both instances.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
mad-max
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 525 M-sport

HELP!!!

Hi every one!

Have Bang & Olufsen audio system factory fitted in my 252D F11 bummer... After latest update noticed that bass got weaker and not so deep and juicy as it used to be... Pretty sure the something bmw had in their update to reduce level of bass for this system... Is any one know how to by-pass it or roll back update to previous version??? Tnx!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
Bwbigdog
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535ix

For the perfect plug and play speakers go with the Bavsound. www.bavsound.com
Easy to install and sound fantastic.
Appreciate 0