2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New summer tires - run flats?

04-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

New summer tires - run flats?

About time to take off the snows. Threw the used summer tires away last fall

Thinking about getting non-run flats and a mini spare.

Read a number of threads, but what is the latest thinking?
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #2
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

ive just got rid of my bridgestone RFTs on 19s and gone to non RFTs on set of 20s - I got michellin PSS.

not had much chance to feedback on difference yet though.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
I too just took off the snow tires and instead of putting on my despised 19" Goodyear Eagle LS2s run-flats I switched to a staggered 19" Michelin PSS setup on new wheels. So far, so good, and the ride is definitely more refined.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

I posted on this several times, I don't feel it's as black and white if I'm perfectly honest.

Goodyear OEM tire is horrible, just horrible, so I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza S04 which I had on few previous car and really like. Although it wears fairly fast - for my needs, this is great performing tire. Ride is smoother, quitter and and better in every way, especially on wet roads where I found Goodyears quite bad.

I do hate driving around with no spare or RF "security" even with Continental kit I keep in the trunk now.

On the other hand my winter tires are RF, Dunlop Wintersport 3D SST and I find these pretty good actually, difference when switching from these to non RF is not nearly as big as it was with Goodyears, yes non RF tire is still more comfortable and quieter, but the difference is much smaller than it was with Goodyear. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want to stick with RF tires, there are likely some better ones out there, they are improving as we go.

In both cases though, I "feel" the road a bit more with non RF tires. Difficult to describe, but you feel grooves and rolls in the road more through the steering wheel, in your seat... etc, just overall I feel a bit better connected. For me this enhances driving enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

If you can spare (sorry) the trunk space, skip the mini spare purchase and just throw in a winter tire for a spare. Don't forget the jack (got mine at Autozone) and lug wrench. Nearly free.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
If you can spare (sorry) the trunk space, skip the mini spare purchase and just throw in a winter tire for a spare. Don't forget the jack (got mine at Autozone) and lug wrench. Nearly free.
now I've got non-RFTs - I got myself a small compressor and bottle of sealant.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Once you go non run flats you'll never go back. Seriously, superior road absorption and quieter too. Just make sure you get the stiffest side wall possible if you're going low profile. +1 on mini air compressor.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
now I've got non-RFTs - I got myself a small compressor and bottle of sealant.
Right on with the air compressor; I keep a $20 one in every car... lots of times 35 psi will get you 30 minutes of driving!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

never regret going to non RF's
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #10
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016BlkBimmer View Post
How would you guys rates these from best to worst?
Doubt you'll find anybody who's owned all of those or tried them on the same car too, so it's really almost impossible to answer. I can tell you that S-04 (owned it previously on two different cars and tried on another one) is pretty decent tire, especially for the price. Considered second best behind Michelin in the same category, but always a lot cheaper on Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Dead quiet, excellent grip, comfortable, but not the greatest rating for wear - I don't think Michelin is either. Sidewall could be "ever so slightly" firmer, but I'm really splitting hairs here.

Last edited by Bbb34; 04-05-2016 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Doubt you'll find anybody who's owned all of those or tried them on the same car too, so it's really almost impossible to answer. I can tell you that S-04 (owned it previously on two different cars and tried on another one) is pretty decent tire, especially for the price. Considered second best behind Michelin in the same category, but always a lot cheaper on Tirerack. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Dead quiet, excellent grip, comfortable, but not the greatest rating for wear - I don't think Michelin is either. Sidewall could be "ever so slightly" firmer, but I'm really splitting hairs here.
I've had them both on my 535i. The S-04s are less expensive than the Michelin PSS, but the Michelins lasted me longer enough to make up for the price. S-04's were gone in 12,000 miles. My PSS are currently at 16,000 miles and still have about 1/32nd left, should be good for another 1000 miles or so. So to me the PSS are a better buy - higher performance and less cost per mile.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 06:53 AM   #12
vlam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

I use Michelin PSS on my 2nd set of wheels in the summer. No RFT for me anymore. I don't bother with a spare. Long trips, I use my wife's SUV or just throw one of the wheel from my 2nd set and jack in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
So to me the PSS are a better buy - higher performance and less cost per mile.
Yeah, there seem to be universal agreement that PSS is better. Likely to be my next set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlam View Post
No RFT for me anymore. I don't bother with a spare. Long trips, I use my wife's SUV or just throw one of the wheel from my 2nd set and jack in the trunk.
And this is what's actually shocking to me about BMWs decision to go with run flats only. We're left to chose between harsher and apparently safer ride that's also more expensive, or have 60+K vehicles we can't take on the long trips. Alternative is we do, but can't use all of our trunk's space, or take a chance that various "flat tire" kits will work - to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom where they said "oh yeah, makes perfect sense to do this".
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #14
vlam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Yeah, there seem to be universal agreement that PSS is better. Likely to be my next set.

And this is what's actually shocking to me about BMWs decision to go with run flats only. We're left to chose between harsher and apparently safer ride that's also more expensive, or have 60+K vehicles we can't take on the long trips. Alternative is we do, but can't use all of our trunk's space, or take a chance that various "flat tire" kits will work - to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom where they said "oh yeah, makes perfect sense to do this".
Their decision is probably base on the assumption that someone spending $60K on the vehicle doesn't know how or wants to change out their own flat.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Their decision is probably base on the assumption that someone spending $60K on the vehicle doesn't know how or wants to change out their own flat.
That and maybe in a lot of European countries, and large US cities, the distance between RF providers is not that big, and 50 miles is the usual suggested, but I am sure you can get a lot more than that if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #16
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
C'mon now, we're talking 60K not 250+. BMW cars aren't exclusively sold to top 1% of the wealthy, plus you're ignoring the fact that even cheaper vehicles in their lineup come with run flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
That and maybe in a lot of European countries, and large US cities, the distance between RF providers is not that big, and 50 miles is the usual suggested, but I am sure you can get a lot more than that if necessary.
In my opinion this is somewhat valid point if all the buyers were in large western European or US cities, and never travel long distance late at night or weekends. But even then, chances of having exact model and size of the tire you need in stock every 50 miles, not sure how likely is that.

I've driven more than 50 miles on blown runflat personally, but it really depends on the type of blow out you get. In my view, it is still much more inconvenient than simply having a spare tire. Giving buyer an option to chose would be ideal. No universal agreement on this, some like idea of run flats while others don't, but most agree regular tires are less expensive, last longer, don't damage as easy, are more comfortable to drive and often perform better.

Don't get me wrong, I like the brand, love the car and clearly, ended up buying one knowing all this, but would like it even more if I had an option of choosing regular tires and a spare in the trunk.

Took me a while to find this thread, there are many others like this: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117272

Last edited by Bbb34; 04-06-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: adding link to another RF thread
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
bcw550ix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 550ix

Getting rid of the OEM RF tires and replacing with 18" BBS wheels, Michelin PSS for summer, and Alpin PA4s for winter was a night and day improvement. I do carry a mini-spare I bought online.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the thoughts; I think I'm going to go the non-runflat route.

Any suggestions on a mini spare? I could throw a winter wheel in, but it would take up 3/4 of the trunk space.

I guess the other alternative is a compressor and sealant?
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #19
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I’m finishing up perhaps 200 miles or so on some new 19 inch staggered Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports (Michelins have been backordered at TireRack for 6+ months). I’m coming off of dedicated 17 inch winter tires, so obviously that is part of the significant differential I have experienced, but I am astonished at the improvement in drive comfort, feel and pleasure. Why did I go for 40,000 miles with run flats?! Acceleration, power curve into a turn, quiet ride, rail road tracks – really everything seems so much more pleasant and fun.

Is this a placebo effect? I guess it is possible, but I really don’t think so. If you are on the fence about getting rid of your runflats, my recommendation is to go for it.

Since I didn’t want to deal with carrying a mini spare in my trunk (or a winter wheel) and buying a jack, I did pick up the ContiComfort Kit for $80. Cigarette lighter powered compressor and slime. Hope I never have to use it. 
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #20
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
.... I am astonished at the improvement in drive comfort, feel and pleasure. Why did I go for 40,000 miles with run flats?! Acceleration, power curve into a turn, quiet ride, rail road tracks – really everything seems so much more pleasant and fun.

Is this a placebo effect?
No it's not, ride it is unquestionably better without run-flats in every way possible. Noise, comfort, handling, road feel and often tire wear too. Glad you like them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #21
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:

+1 on the S-O4s. I ran these on my E90 M3, and performance is closely matched to that of a Michelin PSS, especially when you factor in the price margin. It's a good looking tire as well. Highly recommend the S-O4 if you're looking for a non-RFT option.
Appreciate 0